Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,590 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Arizona from New York, and I want to know where the best places to live are. I hear that Chandler, Surprise, Gilbert, and some of the Phoenix area (Scottsdale, Mesa, etc.) are some pretty good places, but I want to know more about these places and others. From high schools and colleges, to how travel form one area to the next will be. Such as traffic and what not. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,536,544 times
There are many, many threads here already that you can read up on with lots of information about all these places, more than you will get by starting another new discussion.

Knowing just where you mean by "between one place and the next" would be helpful in terms of traffic. Generally, this is a large, spread out metro area with long rush "hours" (more like 3 hours) in the morning and evening. It really depends on exactly where you want to go. Again, there are threads that discuss the various city suburbs, and traffic is always part of that discussion.

Where your job(s) is/are located will be a big part of determining where you live.

As far as elem and high schools, that's a broad question, when you are asking about ALL the suburbs. Maricopa County has one of the, if not the, largest community college systems in the country, the campuses are scattered around the Valley. Four year schools include, of course, Arizona State, with a huge enrollment and, at least for now, satellite campuses in the east and west Valley, as well as a new downtown campus, and Grand Canyon University, a private college.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:51 PM

44 posts, read 171,538 times
Can anyone give me 10 reason NOT to move to Chandler, Gilbert, Goodyear, Scottsdale, Anthem, Paradise Valley, etc?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love that sunshine! View Post
Can anyone give me 10 reason NOT to move to Chandler, Gilbert, Goodyear, Scottsdale, Anthem, Paradise Valley, etc?
I don't know why you jumped into this thread to ask this question. You started your own thread recently https://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...-towns-az.html

on essentially the same subject. Posing the question the way you have done it here will bring out the posters who love to post negative comments that may or may not be helpful to you, and it won't necessarily help the OP either. (I do notice that you've posted in several California forums asking the same question about several different cities-- how's that working for you?)

Old 04-22-2009, 06:55 AM

5 posts, read 15,465 times
observer53.... she just wants a some opinions on the area, who cares how she wrote it , what she wrote etc....if you dont have a some what helpful answer to her question, than dont post anything....
so here's this for you... we are also moving to az. in july and are looking for a desent part of az. to live,so love that sunshine, let me know if you find some area's you like, any help on that would be appreciated......

Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 AM

I'd be happy to help, and I gave the OP some preliminary information based on the broad scope of her question. "Best place to live" is in the eye of the beholder. And, where to live IS closely tied to where the work location is. That's the reality for most people.

The second poster had already started her own thread.

Generally speaking, narrowing the scope of the question, and also encouraging people to read the forums and use the search function, (which I think is in the forum instructions) helps provide the most useful information.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,645,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt_106 View Post
My family and I are moving to Arizona from New York, and I want to know where the best places to live are. I hear that Chandler, Surprise, Gilbert, and some of the Phoenix area (Scottsdale, Mesa, etc.) are some pretty good places, but I want to know more about these places and others. From high schools and colleges, to how travel form one area to the next will be. Such as traffic and what not. Thanks

Don't forget about Apache Junction or Gold Canyon with the beautiful Superstitions in the background.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM

10 posts, read 23,430 times
best is surprise. highly expensive. high end everything.
i believe homes start at around 4 or 5 hundred k.

chandler is good,
mesa is a little rough. has a good side and a bad side
Tempe is nice

Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 23,430 times
one negative about AZ.
traffic is bad.
if you are used to New York driving, you won't be too surprised.
One funny thing though, I don't know how else to say this but the sun plays tricks on you out there driving.
I know it's wierd but one minute you see nothing and the next minute someone comes flying right by you. You just have to experience it and get used to it.
I am an excellent chicago driver and this really freaked me out when i was there for about 5 months last year. the other thing that you can't do diddly about is the accidents! Big Time auto accidents out there all the time. Don't ask me why. Also the fines out there are horrendous! I had to pay over 5 hundered dollars for going 7 miles over the speed limit! also 800 dollar fine for driving in the left carpool only lane. Please don't get me wrong though, I love AZ and am also plan on m moving out there soon

Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,673,305 times
I am currently researching Phoenix areas for price and low crime. I've narrowed it down to Queen Creek and Maricopa, although it appears Maricopa has a higher flood risk. Prices are unbelievable, but according to other blogs the commute is a b***h.
Rivera123 you are not wrong about the drivers and accidents but it is not the sun or your imagination. I spent 40 years in LA (where driving is a big challenge) without a ticket or accident and the last 18 years in Seattle without a ticket or an accident. The drivers in Phoenix are the worst I have ever experienced. The most common thing they do is consider the right lane to be the fast lane instead of the left. I have seen people in downtown Phoenix traveling in the right lane at 60MPH when everyone else is going 30. God help the poor pedestrians. They always pass you on the right not the left. They are very rude drivers and cut you off every chance they get. It is a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area