Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:13 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerog View Post
Thanks for the info. It really is a deciding factor on whether we make the move or not. We currently live in Santa Monica and the busses can be not only gross, but dangerous.
I used to live near there and I know what ya mean!!!!!!!

As much as Socal has to offer, I got so sick of the gangs, the smog, the heavy traffic 24-7, the fires and floods, and the far-left politics.

I mean, I'm somewhat of a Liberal myself but Cali is broke beyond repair because it has turned into a huge Welfare state.

Phx has big-city problems too but not near as bad as LA. I'll take Arizona anytime!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
I disagree about the cleanliness of the buses. Anytime I have ridden a bus it was like riding in a porta potty.

The pics above are of the brand new light rail and a new, clean (outside anyway) bus, which is not really the norm.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I disagree about the cleanliness of the buses. Anytime I have ridden a bus it was like riding in a porta potty.

The pics above are of the brand new light rail and a new, clean (outside anyway) bus, which is not really the norm.
"Porta Potty? That's pretty extreme.

IN addition to the RAPIDs and express routes, I've ridden on some non -express routes, cross-town routes, and in some of the lower income parts of town, and haven't seen anything like that. I don't know how often you ride them, when the last time you rode them was, or which routes.

There are a lot of new to fairly new buses (not just the RAPID ones in the pictures). They are used on the main routes first, the express buses and those on some of the main arteries. The older buses are getting phased out, and even they are not as offensive as you describe, IMO.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:

It used to be a lot worse some 25 years ago when I rode the buses on a regular basis. The buses often broke down, were unclean, and lacked sufficient A/C. Also, the routes used to be a joke. The ones that went downtown, or up & down Central Avenue ran frequently ... but if you had to go anywhere else, you had to wait a long time. Also, the buses never used to run on Sundays, and there was very limited service on holidays. I can honestly say that the transit system has improved greatly (but still not perfect) compared to many years ago.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Quote:

I don't know what buses you're riding but the ones I've ridden (mainly in the east valley...Chandler, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Mesa) have all been relatively new and very clean. Although the routes and schedules leave much to be desired, the buses themselves are not bad at all.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:43 AM

8 posts, read 34,278 times
There is also the Scottsdale Trolley that goes through downtown scottsdale and Scottsdale Fashion Sq. They also have neighborhood circulators in Tempe, North Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, etc. The circulators are free. The buses are okay here. Some of them are very old and can be extremely dirty depending on which ones you take. Sometimes the buses can be late or not even show ( it has happened to me plenty of times). My friend lived in the Inland Empire and would take buses in L.A. She told me that the buses in Phoenix are much better than the ones in L.A.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:48 AM

8 posts, read 34,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I don't know what buses you're riding but the ones I've ridden (mainly in the east valley...Chandler, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Mesa) have all been relatively new and very clean. Although the routes and schedules leave much to be desired, the buses themselves are not bad at all.
Some of the 81 Northbound and Southbound, the 72 northbound and southbound, the 76, 61, and the 41 are gross. Those are only a few of them that I have been on that are nasty, in my opinion. I use the buses to get around because I am a wheelchair user. Some of the buttons that you hit when you're in a wheelchair seat/ section don't even work. A few months ago, I was on the 81 Southbound and the bus was really old. It was shaking and the wheelchair ramp wouldn't go down. I don't know how many times I had to call Valley metro because their buses were broken. You're really lucky that you have had some great experiences on the buses. I wish I had that because it would make my life much easier.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 PM

522 posts, read 715,786 times
Where I live bus the runs Mon-Fri from 6am to 6pm. You got it good there.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
I rode the PHX transit system for the first time last month. It was quite nice. Clean buses, extremely cold A/C (brrr), most routes were on time or fairly close. I was able to get from the place I stay in far N. Scottsdale to almost anywhere in the city. I like the good-all-day pass, made things much easier. Only complaint I had is minor - some of the bus drivers weren't helpful and didn't know the system, although they may have been new or substitute route drivers. But then I'd get on my connnecting bus, and that driver usually made up for it with info and trip tips. The route planner on the website is great and very easy to use too. I didn't have a chance to try the light rail last visit, maybe next month when I'm back down. The system overall was MUCH better than many posters on the PHX forum would have you think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area