Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
A friend of mine who lives in Anthem, their children attend public school, they are always the only black students in the class. Sure it's easy to say that's not an issue when your part of the majority but on the other side of that stick it's a whole different ball game.
The one poster is right about PHX area being more class segregated than race. I do pretty well, and I like to be around others that are too. That being said, you'll have a tough time finding a pretty diverse community. I did however find Litchfield Park School District to be pretty diverse when my two boys attended there. But for the most part they'll either be surrounded by mostly white, or mostly hispanic depending on where u choose to live. Black population in PHX is actually closer to 2.5% where as AZ is 3%
I agree that the Litchfield/Goodyear area has more black people and diversity in general than many other parts with the same income. I am certain Estrella does. I have always thought that is because of Luke AFB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 25,281 times
We were told Anthem has good schools and to stay above 101 if we wanted to be in a good neighborhood.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Does Litchfield Park School District have good schools?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston6 View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about Anthem AZ? Is this good place for an african american family, especially raise their kids? Neighborhoods, schools etc...

It's a tough decision with the population being only 3% to say I will relocate my family to a place where they might not feel comfortable.Being from Houston,TX my kids have never ever experienced any form of racism they have friends of all nationality. Personally I wish I could protect them from ignorance, not being liked because the color of their skin is so stupid. But I have heard stories about being black in Arizona, I hope these stories are not true because due to my job we will be moving there.

Can anyone share information about the lifestyle and atmostphere of african americans in Anthem?
There is more racism in Houston than Phoenix by far because Phoenix is not southern like Houston and it doesn't border the deep southern states like Louisiana. Houston might be a big city but it's still a southern city and there is nothing Houston can do to change that. Phoenix is pretty west coast in terms of attitude and culture. It's Republican in the Barry Goldwater sense and not the Bible Belt sense. The only racism that is here is toward illegals which is exactly the way it is Los Angelas and other parts of the southern California. Houston might have more African Americans but it's also more segregated and the shooting of that African American kid in Bellaire would never happen here. As Ponderosa said, you would have to get used to living in a predominantly white neighborhood but if you are okay with that, you will be fine. I'm Hispanic and I experienced more racism in Texas than I ever did in Los Angelas (where I'm from) and I haven't experienced any racism here in Phoenix.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-12-2009 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Every bit as good as Anthem I believe. Litchfield Park and the area of Goodyear near there known as Palm Valley are among the nicest parts of the metro area.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,421,424 times
Anthem is not very diverse in terms of ethnicity, but I doubt you would have a problem living there, it's not like this is the south.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,321 times
Being Black and living in AZ for a few years now I would vote against it. Not that Anthem is racist, but your family would be "the black family on the block". I used to travel to different parts of the valley for work and there was definately a different reception in Anthem, particularly. I decided to purchase in Litchfield and have not regretted that decision.

As far as the schools are concerened, in my opinion the schools probably have better scores due to the fact that there are not many ESL (english as a second language) students in the area. Since the area is totally new, remote and somewhat pricey, you're not going to find many families that are lacking English.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:15 PM

Thanks, and you are so right about the kid in Bellaire. Bellaire is a upper class neighborhood in Houston and there have always been reports about racism.I am originally from Louisiana but I have never experienced racism. I live in a middle class neighborhood in Sugarland TX which is right outside of Houston and it is a mixture off all races here. The schools my kids attend mostly has Asians,Whites,Blacks, and middle eastern children.

After hearing all the comments I think they should be just fine.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Thanks, and you are so right about the kid in Bellaire. Bellaire is a upper class neighborhood in Houston and there have always been reports about racism.I am originally from Louisiana but I have never experienced racism. I live in a middle class neighborhood in Sugarland TX which is right outside of Houston and it is a mixture off all races here. The schools my kids attend mostly has Asians,Whites,Blacks, and middle eastern children.

After hearing all the comments I think they should be just fine.
Sugarland is a really nice city and you are right, it is very diverse and educated. The closest thing to Sugarland in the Phoenix area is the east Ahwautukee- west Chandler area because it's also diverse in terms of different races, has a lot Information Technology companies and is fairly liberal. Chandler still doesn't have as many African Americans as the Litchfield area but if you are from Sugarland and want that same vibe, I would look into the Chandler-Ahwautukee area. I'm Hispanic and a physician and I chose to live in west Chandler for the same reasons you probably chose Sugarland. I wanted diversity, more liberal attitudes (socially speaking) and educated people. So definitely consider the west Chandler/east Ahwautukee/South Tempe area.

Phoenix gets mislabeled as being racist because there are not a lot of African Americans here. The problem with Phoenix isn't racism but materialism. In Phoenix, you are accepted if you have money and racism isn't an issue here. As someone else mentioned, neighborhoods are separated based on income as opposed to race.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-12-2009 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 05:13 PM

611 posts, read 1,992,010 times
Quote:
My research says yes. The Air Force base is nearby so I'm sure there is a lot of diversity from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area