Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmad View Post
Ohohohooooooooooo, what's going on here, please calm down

We stayed DT Houston for this years Wrestlemania, and we liked it pretty much. Everything was easy, the metro took us to all the events at Reliant Park, other events were held in DT, we stayed at Hotel Icon in walking distance to Toyota Center and the Convention Center. So we didn't have to think about how to get somewhere, it was really really easy. But as I already read here, DT Houston was also dead on Sunday... we couldn't even find a place to eat
Es tut mir leid!

You are right, many Americans become defensive about their city. I do on occasion I admit. However, downtown Houston is very dead after events. Officially, there are little residents in DT Houston unlike downtown Phoenix where the population is actually growing. You will find plenty of places to eat downtown in Phoenix even on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
what was bad about it?

that it's more convenient to be closer to the events, especially if you don't have a car?

that unless they add more special event shuttles or bus routes it's difficult to get from downtown to westgate using public transport as the express shuttles are set up more for commuters and locals can take a lot of time?

that light rail won't get you close to glendale?

that westgate will more likely be more active and lively given westgate sponsored event parties and a large influx of visitors who are coming for the purpose of going to an event there?

that as it stands today the cabs are expensive to make roundtrips? - i personally wouldn't want to rely on finding event specials when I plan for something, but that's just me

that if all possible I would get a car - phoenix isn't a dense city, it's a vast city and there will be activities all over the metro - public transport infrastructure isn't that good, however the street system is very friendly and the layout is intuitive ....... this isn't boston, ny, philly, chicago, DC (or london, tokyo, etc for the international effect) where driving is a nightmare, but public transport is easy, efficient and widespread - we're kind of the opposite

what about the above would you specifically say is "bad advise" or untrue?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Es tut mir leid!

You are right, many Americans become defensive about their city. I do on occasion I admit. However, downtown Houston is very dead after events. Officially, there are little residents in DT Houston unlike downtown Phoenix where the population is actually growing. You will find plenty of places to eat downtown in Phoenix even on Sunday.
look at that message though and think where in the metro offers the following:

hotel within walking distance of the event

hotel within walking distance of bars/restaurants that are open and active 7 days a week

a location that puts you close to the event so you don't have to worry about how to get around everyday

do you honestly think downtown does all 3 of those things better than any other part of the metro?!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Most of it, including that there is little to do downtown or that the club scene is small and dead. Also, offering up the advice that staying at Westgate would be wise when the OP cannot rent a car is somewhat a folly.

Since they want to get around, Staying central would be the wisest choice. Not only can they take the rail to Tempe but they can then trek to Scottsdale via the Scottsdale trolley for free. Yes, Westgate is "lively" during an event, but then everyone jumps in their car in those expansive parking lots and leaves.

The parking areas are bigger than Westgate's areas of amenities. If you are car-less and want to see multiple points in the valley, a central location is the obvious choice since they can leave their belongings in one location and traverse the great expanses of the Valley. Via cabs and shuttles. Again, Hotels can arraign for shuttles and for many events there actually might be free or reduced rate shuttle vans and busses like there were during the Super Bowl.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 PM

fc - how about this - for someone attending a series of events over a series of days list the advantages of downtown and I'll list the advantages of westgate?

no bickering, no arguing, just a bulleted list of what it can offer to someone without a vehicle, attending westgate events

deal?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
look at that message though and think where in the metro offers the following:

hotel within walking distance of the event

hotel within walking distance of bars/restaurants that are open and active 7 days a week

a location that puts you close to the event so you don't have to worry about how to get around everyday

do you honestly think downtown does all 3 of those things better than any other part of the metro?!
Yes, if they stay downtown there are bars and restaurants open 7 days a week that are walking distance. Especially on Roosevelt which is one block north of the hotel they are considering. With in walking distance and open 7 days there is: Matt's big breakfast, Portland's, Mediterranean cafe, Cibo, Palatte, Carly's Bistro, Turf, Pasta Bar, Breadfruit, Roosevelt Tavern, etc. etc.

They didn't mention that a hotel within walking distance of the event is a top priority as they realized that travel will be inevitable. However, they did mention that some of the event's functions will also be held downtown...so they can walk to those functions. They also mentioned wanting to catch some Sun's games...so yeah they can walk to those events or hey...take the rail since the stops for those locations are directly across the street.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Most of it, including that there is little to do downtown or that the club scene is small and dead. Also, offering up the advice that staying at Westgate would be wise when the OP cannot rent a car is somewhat a folly.
I didn't say that there is little to do downtown or that the club scene is small and dead

what i've stated is that most of the parties that this event brings will be based in scottsdale - i've also stated that scottsdale is the epicenter of the club/lounge/bar scene

look at it in the context of this event

people do leave westgate after an event - usually at bar close - like every other place in the valley

we just have different views of proximity

you think it's wise to be downtown which will have the least amount of event activity, but provides a central location

i think it's wise to be closer to where the bulk of the events are and worry about travelling to the other places when you need to get there

Old 05-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
fc - how about this - for someone attending a series of events over a series of days list the advantages of downtown and I'll list the advantages of westgate?

no bickering, no arguing, just a bulleted list of what it can offer to someone without a vehicle, attending westgate events

deal?
Cool, then they have all the information.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Ok, but that is a very suburban way of looking at things. If they stay at Westgate, getting to Scottsdale will be, a *****, forgive my french. But I think you are ASSUMING that the bulk of the events will be in Scottsdale. I think information provided pointed to DT and Glendale having the bulk to the events. Also, yes Scottsdale has a ton of bars/clubs but so does downtown, they are just served different. While one will pay 20-40 or more to get into a bar in Scottsdale, in DT one pays 5-20...Scottsdale does currently have more "pizzaz" but that doesn't mean the bulk of the nightlife is there. That just means that for SOME the bulk of THEIR nightlife is there.

Quote:
I didn't say that there is little to do downtown or that the club scene is small and dead

what i've stated is that most of the parties that this event brings will be based in scottsdale - i've also stated that scottsdale is the epicenter of the club/lounge/bar scene

look at it in the context of this event

people do leave westgate after an event - usually at bar close - like every other place in the valley

we just have different views of proximity

you think it's wise to be downtown which will have the least amount of event activity, but provides a central location

i think it's wise to be closer to where the bulk of the events are and worry about travelling to the other places when you need to get there

Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM

the external parties is what i'm referencing - they'll be held in scottsdale ...... just like the superbowl, just like the fiesta bowl, just like the all star game, just like any event that rolls into town ..... even NASCAR parties in scottsdale

when out of towners come in and plan big parties they plan them in scottsdale ....... just the way it is

i'm not talking events (which could be things like meet & greets, promos, little events, etc that will be spread out everywhere) - i'm talking XYZ Fashion Company/Liquor Label presents PartyMania!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area