Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,041,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
the external parties is what i'm referencing - they'll be held in scottsdale ...... just like the superbowl, just like the fiesta bowl, just like the all star game, just like any event that rolls into town ..... even NASCAR parties in scottsdale

when out of towners come in and plan big parties they plan them in scottsdale ....... just the way it is

i'm not talking events (which could be things like meet & greets, promos, little events, etc that will be spread out everywhere) - i'm talking XYZ Fashion Company/Liquor Label presents PartyMania!
Here is some information posted about Wrestlemania and where to stay for nightlife...Central Phoenix, Scottsdale, and downtown Scottsdale are noted for the "where to stay for nightlife."

"Where should I stay nearby?

If you are coming in from out-of-town and you want to be close to the stadium, you'll want to stay in a hotel in Glendale. Within two blocks of the stadium you ll find Westgate City Center with restaurants, movies and bars; it will be a very popular spot that weekend! If you don't want to stay right in Glendale, Central Phoenix or North Scottdale or Downtown Scottsdale would be my next choices if you are looking for fine restaurants and nightlife. Otherwise, the cities of Peoria, Goodyear and Avondale are close and have a large selection of non-resort and budget hotels. This map will show you the relationship of the cities of metro Phoenix to one another."

WrestleMania - WrestleMania XXVI in Phoenix Arizona - WrestleMania Glendale Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,274,641 times
Here is my rundown for Westgate - both pros & cons

Pros:
  • Walking distance to Wrestlemania
  • Walking distance to Axxess (which will be pretty much in the back yard of the renaissance hotel)
  • Walking distance to Westgate ammenities (including places like Margaritaville, Yard House, Shout House, Saddle Ranch, Hells Half Acre, AMC Theaters, etc)
  • Depending on how things are going today there is a possibility of walking to a hockey game
  • Very short and easy bus to downtown glendale featuring antique shops, activities in the park, a chocolate factory, family run restaurants and even a place to drink what we consider german beers outside at Haus Murphy if you are feeling nostalgic
  • Easy bus/shuttle access to the arrowhead area featuring one of the most concentrated area for bars & restaurants along with a ton of shopping options
  • Cheap cab ride (or maybe free hotel shuttle) over to the 101 & northern entertainment district featuring a cigar bar, irish pub, Sandbar, along with a variety of other bars & restaurants and shops
  • Westgate centered parties. During the superbowl they setup events & parties at westgate. This included autograph signing, two jack daniels sponsored parties and even a couple times where they put security at the access points and allowed drinking in the open air by the fountains of westgate - super fun
  • Proximity to like minded individuals. The hotels in that are will be packed with fans there for the event. This will keep the area buzzing and allow the possibility to hook up with other travelers with the same shared interest.
  • Given that this is at the end of March, there is also really good proximity to spring training either at Camelback Ranch or the Peoria Sports Complex if that is of interest
  • Within walking distance to the Glendale Park & Ride
Cons:
  • Would require arranging travel to any lead up shows that would be held downtown (for example a house show or smackdown would be helded at US Air as opposed to Jobing.com) - this is not particularly easy
  • Long and expensive trip to Scottsdale if you wanted to frequent their clubs/bars
  • Limited daytime walk about options - not much in the way of museums, etc to kill time at during the day
  • Edges of the valley
What I would do:

Rent a car as it's a very easy city to get around.

However, without a car I would probably split it up. 11 days is honestly a long time to be stationed at either.

I would do the early part downtown. While downtown I would go to the museums, galleries, etc during the day. At night I would take the light rail to tempe or arrange transport to Scottsdale at least 1x each. I would also be close to any lead up shows at US Air Center and catch a suns game. I would go out downtown after attending a show downtown. Finally I would use it as my base point to take a day trip up to Sedona or the Grand Canyon.

The second half I would spend in Westgate. I would spend one day attending spring training (it's a cheap way to relax in the sun, fun to just sit in the lawn with a beer and converse with friends). I would spend one day exploring downtown Glendale. I would also use the daytime hours to go to Axxess and other WWE sponsored westgate events. At night I would hop between westgate, northern & 101 and arrowhead. Finally I would attend wrestlemania from there and not have to worry about traffic, transport or anything else.

Typing up what I would do now makes me want to take the week off myself and vacation in my own city

However, you are not me and I am not you or FC ..... this is why it's good to take in a variety of ideas and pick and choose

Either way you'll have a blast and it should be a lot more enjoyable than Houston, Detroit or some other such place

Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Here is some information posted about Wrestlemania and where to stay for nightlife...Central Phoenix, Scottsdale, and downtown Scottsdale are noted for the "where to stay for nightlife."

"Where should I stay nearby?

If you are coming in from out-of-town and you want to be close to the stadium, you'll want to stay in a hotel in Glendale. Within two blocks of the stadium you ll find Westgate City Center with restaurants, movies and bars; it will be a very popular spot that weekend! If you don't want to stay right in Glendale, Central Phoenix or North Scottdale or Downtown Scottsdale would be my next choices if you are looking for fine restaurants and nightlife. Otherwise, the cities of Peoria, Goodyear and Avondale are close and have a large selection of non-resort and budget hotels. This map will show you the relationship of the cities of metro Phoenix to one another."

WrestleMania - WrestleMania XXVI in Phoenix Arizona - WrestleMania Glendale Arizona
Good find - i personally wouldn't lead anyone to goodyear or avondale though (and I love and live in goodyear)

Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Good find - i personally wouldn't lead anyone to goodyear or avondale though (and I love and live in goodyear)
True...you know sorry if you thought I was additudinal, I actually am more facetious. We gays tend to be quite snippy, like a cute chihuahua...but more butch...well some of us, LOL

Anyhow, I don't take issue with places outside Phoenix, I love the diversity within the Valley. Shoot if it were me, I would stay a few days at Westgate, get drunk and stumble back to my hotel...then a few days downtown where I'd whip out the platinum card and spend a pretty penny...topped off with a Scottsdale plethora with my AMEX putting me in bankruptcy court...

Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
True...you know sorry if you thought I was additudinal, I actually am more facetious. We gays tend to be quite snippy, like a cute chihuahua...but more butch...well some of us, LOL

Anyhow, I don't take issue with places outside Phoenix, I love the diversity within the Valley. Shoot if it were me, I would stay a few days at Westgate, get drunk and stumble back to my hotel...then a few days downtown where I'd whip out the platinum card and spend a pretty penny...topped off with a Scottsdale plethora with my AMEX putting me in bankruptcy court...
heh - and I tend to be dry and a little bit over the top - i'm like my boxers, sometimes a little crazy, a lot of the time just relaxed, always playfull, but always just kind of scanning the scenario, taking it all in and picking and choosing my spots

neither of our styles are made for message boarding though

Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
heh - and I tend to be dry and a little bit over the top - i'm like my boxers, sometimes a little crazy, a lot of the time just relaxed, always playfull, but always just kind of scanning the scenario, taking it all in and picking and choosing my spots

neither of our styles are made for message boarding though
Eh, we add to the diversity and liven the place up...I'm sure you get messages too thanking you for your witty responses! Like you said, its a public forum and writing styles vary. Some are boring, some are lively. We are lively, LOL! Well, ok I hope we have given the OP food for thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area