Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:01 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,429,681 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just cause of the holiday weekend, but for the last 4-5 days there has been a speed trap on the 101 near 56th St.

The cops line up on the 56th st on ramp, there is another officer under the overpass at 64th st, he is over in the carpool lane construction area, he is hard to see until it's too late.

I have a radar dectector so I saw it go off and quickly slowed down to 60 or else I would have been hit. They are using laser radar FYI.

They pulled over 4-5 cars at once, they were only going about 65-70 tops in the fast lane.

You would think they would have something better to do than sit around all morning pulling over non-agressive drivers.

Keep an eye out for these traps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 AM

BTW the majority of the time, they are getting those traveling Westbound on the 101, not Eastbound.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,797,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Maybe it's just cause of the holiday weekend, but for the last 4-5 days there has been a speed trap on the 101 near 56th St.

The cops line up on the 56th st on ramp, there is another officer under the overpass at 64th st, he is over in the carpool lane construction area, he is hard to see until it's too late.

I have a radar dectector so I saw it go off and quickly slowed down to 60 or else I would have been hit. They are using laser radar FYI.

They pulled over 4-5 cars at once, they were only going about 65-70 tops in the fast lane.

You would think they would have something better to do than sit around all morning pulling over non-agressive drivers.

Keep an eye out for these traps!
I'm glad to see them out there to get the people who think the speed limit is not absolute. If everyone would drive the speed limit the highways would be much safer and one wouldn't have to worry about getting caught speeding.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,362,983 times
I am never without my detector. I love watching idiots speed right past me after I tap the brakes and the cops get them instead of me. Those cops are just tax collectors. If they cared about safety, they'd go after the slow pokes in the left lane, cell phone chatters and texters. Those are the real dangers on the road.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I'm glad to see them out there to get the people who think the speed limit is not absolute. If everyone would drive the speed limit the highways would be much safer and one wouldn't have to worry about getting caught speeding.
There is no need for 55 on a freeway, it should always be 65+.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
How long have you lived here??? Speed limits on freeways are not absolute. That's why most cops will give you a buffer of 10 MPH over the posted limit before they pull you over and issue a citation. Even 10 MPH over may not warrant a ticket, depending on traffic conditions and the officer's attitude. I was pulled over once for doing 12 MPH over, and was let off with a warning.

However, I would much rather have DPS officers patrolling the freeways vs. the ridiculous photo radar cameras. Cops have the ability to cite and/or arrest the excessive speeders and the intoxicated ... whereas cameras can only spew out speeding tickets and serve as a revenue generator for the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I am never without my detector. I love watching idiots speed right past me after I tap the brakes and the cops get them instead of me. Those cops are just tax collectors. If they cared about safety, they'd go after the slow pokes in the left lane, cell phone chatters and texters. Those are the real dangers on the road.
And while speed limits are not absolute, the law about slower traffic keeping to the right IS absolute. The problem is that law is not enforced very much. I guess they have discovered that the faster drivers generate more revenue than the pokey old farts who won't move over.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,797,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
How long have you lived here??? Speed limits on freeways are not absolute. That's why most cops will give you a buffer of 10 MPH over the posted limit before they pull you over and issue a citation. Even 10 MPH over may not warrant a ticket, depending on traffic conditions and the officer's attitude. I was pulled over once for doing 12 MPH over, and was let off with a warning.

However, I would much rather have DPS officers patrolling the freeways vs. the ridiculous photo radar cameras. Cops have the ability to cite and/or arrest the excessive speeders and the intoxicated ... whereas cameras can only spew out speeding tickets and serve as a revenue generator for the state.

And while speed limits are not absolute, the law about slower traffic keeping to the right IS absolute. The problem is that law is not enforced very much. I guess they have discovered that the faster drivers generate more revenue than the pokey old farts who won't move over.
Maybe you should read the laws. The posted speed limit is the maximum speed. The fact that an officer elects to cut slack does not change the fact that the maximum speed is the posted speed.

If you believe that the speed limit is not absolute and that, having "old farts" move over for speeders, is absolute, then post those laws so we can all read them.

I want to see where it says the posted speed limit is not absolute, and I want to see where it says that it is absolute that old farts move over.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,140,776 times
my guess is the posted limits through the construction zone are 55 or less to protect the workers~ those temp construction speed limits ARE the limit~ not the ones that are normally there! Going 70+ through a constuction zone is really stupid ~ should be 40 or less~ maybe penalties for speeding in a construction zone should be firing squad!

Might wake up some of you speeders!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,460,641 times
And it's having to read stuff like this that makes me want to get sooooooooooooooooooo outta here.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,359,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
And it's having to read stuff like this that makes me want to get sooooooooooooooooooo outta here.
Really, movin'on? Which utopian paradaise are you off to... now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area