Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM

23 posts, read 69,125 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I don't think you need to worry about the heat too much. The only thing you need to realize is that you don't want to be outside in July or August unless you have to be. It's definitely not comfortable. But if you have to be outside, finding shade is important, wearing sunscreen is important (the sun is pretty intense and it completely saps your energy after a few hours), and covering up is actually a great way to stay cool. I know that last one sounds counter-intuitive, but I work outside a bit in the summer, and it's much cooler to wear jeans and a long-sleeve shirt than a swimsuit and a tank-top. But it's not so unbearably bad that you'll never want to step outside. Summer nights are actually pretty pleasant, and they're perfect for bbqing and hangin out in the pool.

As far as things to bring or familiarize yourself with, I would suggest that you get a subscription to a mag that details some of the interesting things about the city and area.

Finger Laker's suggestions are also great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,262,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb588 View Post
I would suggest that you get a subscription to a mag that details some of the interesting things about the city and area.
that's a good one as well - i still have my phoenix mag subscription and although it can get redundant, provides a decent 10,000 ft view of things to do and the city in general ...... it's like $12-$15 a year

oh, and make sure you have jumper cables in your car

Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,584,755 times
Wow! So many replies. Many helpful ones. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Finger Laker, thats awesome that your wife is a UMD grad. She can definitely relate on the crazy Duluth weather. Minneapolis is similar in the winter, but still, Duluth has that extra kick. (International Falls, Bemdji, and places like that have even more of a kick than Duluth.)

The one post that stood out to me though was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Terrific. Another person moving here and flooding the state's already backed up system! There's already too many people here. Too many illegals absorbing what they want from the state. Too many out of work. Too many needing financial assistance from the state. The highways are already clogged. There's too many people coming here and its detroying the desert and ruining the state. And there's too many people here for the jobs. Could U please just stay away or move elsewhere? The grass is not greener here; its toally absent. Stay in your Minnesota town or move elsewhere. Just STAY AWAY.
I realize there's a lot of people in Phoenix. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not an illegal, so that's not a problem. And don't tell me about people looking for assistance from the state. I think Minnesota is a haven for that. At least, Duluth is.
I realize there's congestion on the highways, and people ruining the desert. Here's where I won't really contribute to that: I don't like driving for long periods of time, so I'd make sure to live near where I'm working. 10 minute drive max is all I'm looking for. I'm not looking to build a house on the outer fringes one day, because, again, I hate long commutes to and from work.

Personally, I believe that once I'm done with school, I'll be able to contribute a lot to the great state of Arizona. In fact, one day I'd like to open up my own business which, guess what, CREATES MORE JOBS.

I've been on these boards for quite a while now (1 year), and on the Phoenix boards for almost that time as well. City-Data and fellow forumers have been very helpful in describing things. I visited in October and loved it. I've absorbed the positive and negative from what I've read. I've sorted through the facts and the B.S. ("It's 120 ON AVERAGE for 3 months straight." -Someone I know ) There are many things I took into consideration, and I still can't think of a better place for me.

So no, I won't stay here where I am just because some random person doesn't like outsiders who are willing to make a positive impact on the state (as well as my own life by being where I'll be happy.)

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 PM

don't worry - he's an outsider as well who is now disenfranchised

if you are a UMD grad, network with the alumni group - although my wife is not active, they definitely do have a presence (bulldogs in the desert or something like that) - they host a dinner every year that we get invited to ......... wouldn't be a bad place for someone looking to make connections to attend

Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
don't worry - he's an outsider as well who is now disenfranchised

if you are a UMD grad, network with the alumni group - although my wife is not active, they definitely do have a presence (bulldogs in the desert or something like that) - they host a dinner every year that we get invited to ......... wouldn't be a bad place for someone looking to make connections to attend
Actually, I'm attending Scholastica (which is actually just about a mile or so away from UMD). That's cool though to know that there's more Duluthians in Phoenix than I thought!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 PM

I saw it when I was up there - beautiful area - spent the first part of my honeymoon at bluefin bay on lake superior, really nice

before you head out check to see if there is some kind of alumni network down here ........ we have a ton of MN transplants here (which you'll see if you ever go to a game when any MN sports team plays here)

things are tougher here right now, but you're going to have to get established somewhere so it's not like you have a lot to lose ......... people thought I was crazy when I moved from philly to mpls after graduation - although that led me here to phoenix and my path didn't take me exactly where I thought it would, I couldn't be happier

enjoy the adventure!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I saw it when I was up there - beautiful area - spent the first part of my honeymoon at bluefin bay on lake superior, really nice

before you head out check to see if there is some kind of alumni network down here ........ we have a ton of MN transplants here (which you'll see if you ever go to a game when any MN sports team plays here)

things are tougher here right now, but you're going to have to get established somewhere so it's not like you have a lot to lose ......... people thought I was crazy when I moved from philly to mpls after graduation - although that led me here to phoenix and my path didn't take me exactly where I thought it would, I couldn't be happier

enjoy the adventure!
Indeed, the Lake Superior shore is some of the prettiest scenery in the upper midwest.

Thanks for the advice though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area