Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:40 AM

55 posts, read 180,206 times

Advertisements

I dont understand the argument about the validity of these schools. They are here and the demand obviously exists for these sorts of programs. Obviously, they have found a niche. And it is not just in Phoenix, but in many other cities as well. As far as I'm concerned, U. of Phx. and other sorts of institutions are brilliant. They found a need within the general public and capitalized on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,021,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are just reaching. It's not more complicated than that. Your entire argument as to why Charlotte is no. 2 is because of its assets which is essentially tied to one bank, Bank of America, which happens to have the most assets and its headquarters happens to be in Charlotte. That's your entire argument however you choose to spin it. Your use of the term "financial center" is subjective and can mean various things depending on how its used. You can argue that it refers to assets but others generally refer to it as where the jobs and employees are located. I'm sorry but Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco beats out Charlotte in this sense. The Global Financial Centers Index ranks the top financial centers in the world every year and Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Washington D.C. are on this list. Charlotte isn't even in the top 20. Did they teach you about this index in business school?

Market of Markets: The Global Financial Centres Index (http://www.zyen.com/Knowledge/Articles/GFCI_V1.htm - broken link)
Ok, to try and explain simply Charlotte is the no. 2 financial center behind NYC for many reasons as stated before, NOT because of assets or such...that is just an element. And yes we are taught many things in business school but this index isn't anything about a true financial center since it evaluates "economic competitiveness" which is trivial and often opinion based. However, a financial center is a "City or its district (1) that has a heavy concentration of financial institutions, (2) that offers a highly developed commercial and communications infrastructure, and (3) where a great number of domestic and international trading transactions are conducted. London, New York, and Tokyo are the world's premier financial centers." However, hemispherically speaking, New York and Charlotte are the 1,2 centers for the U.S. This encompasses trade, regulatory seats of power, federal recognition as a center of banking transaction, commodities and monies trade and regulatory authority, etc. etc. Just in assets alone does make Charlotte a financial center, but as stated before that is merely a piece of the pie.
Major Banking Centers
Rank City Assets (Billions)

1 New York $2,834.5

2 Charlotte 1,785.4

3 San Francisco 505.2

4 Seattle 359.9

5 Wilmington, DE 246.2

6 Minneapolis 206.9

7 Atlanta 178.4

8 Birmingham 171.9

9 Calabasas, CA 171.3

10 Pittsburgh 133.8
(Source: SNL Securities)

As you can see in assets alone, Charlotte would be a strong hold in itself, but that is not the only factor in deciding what financial centers are the largest.

Quote:
They are not even top 20 in regards to total research. There are other institutions that have far greater endowments and more research. And I would be interested if you could provide a reputable source that states Arizona and ASU are in the top 20 in terms of total research. I like you fcorrales but I think you are resorting to hyperbole here. I don't think you understand how research works. I'm proud of IGC and TGen but other cities have far more in terms of biomedical research and companies.
http://mup.asu.edu/research2008.pdf (what is funny is this research was done in conjunction with ASU, and is used by US News and World Reports and the Princeton Review)

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...aduate-schools

Quote:
It's not unreleastic to expect those companies to open branches and create a presence here. I'm not asking them to relocate their headquarters here. Other cities have been more successful than Phoenix in doing just such as Dallas Ft. Worth.
Phoenix is already a hub for regional headquarters and what not. You were first arguing that Phoenix needed to attract more Fortune companies but now rescind and state that Phoenix should not really ask them to relocate but to establish a presence...well that is done. There are many of these companies with a regional branch in Phoenix. Phoenix is the regional hub of the mountain west beating out Denver and similar cities for such company branches.

Quote:
You are in the sense that you are using that fact to somehow suggest our economy is fine and that we don't need to diversify and that everyone else is just being jaded or misinformed. I agree with you. I think the future is bright but I don't want us to get complacent. We need to be honest and acknowledge our weaknesses and be aggressive about addressing them.
Never stated that the status quo was fine, but instead that those companies here in Phoenix must be recognized and our diversified economy must be taken advantage of and expanded. Being complacent is never the right thing to do and no one ever said that would be wise. Not sure where you read that from one of my or anyone else's statements.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 05-29-2009 at 03:38 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 AM

59 posts, read 136,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Not picking or choosing anything. Phoenix is the 3rd largest semiconductor manufacturing metro in the U.S. that is a fact.
I have to chime in here because I work in the semiconductor industry. I wouldn't lean too heavily on this statistic if I were you. The industry in Phoenix is not at all healthy. Two majors (ST microelectronics and ON semiconductor) have announced that they are shutting down their manufacturing operations in Phoenix.

Phoenix was Motorola's stronghold and has been in decline ever since the company spun off their manufacturing operations in the form of ON and Freescale. Now ON is shutting down the last of four fabs it used to have in Phoenix, and there are rumors that Freescale is selling off a division that would affect their Fab in Chandler and design center in Tempe.

It won't be too long before Intel is the only major semiconductor company left in the area. Even then, their presence in Phoenix is no larger than the one they have in Albuquerque.

At this rate, Phoenix won't be number 3 for much longer. That's the reason I left for Portland (the 2nd largest semiconductor manufacturing metro behind only silicon valley). While things may be bad here, at least the companies aren't leaving.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:01 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
fcorrales

You made the same mistake that many do here. You post links without reading them. I found the same link and was about to post it because it refutes what you stated. The University of Arizona was ranked 23rd in research which is not in the top 20. In rergards to private funding, it was ranked 132. ASU wasn't even ranked in the top 25

http://mup.asu.edu/research2008.pdf

The second link you provided doesn't specify anything. It was a link the front page of the U.S. News and World Report rankings.

Quote:
You were first arguing that Phoenix needed to attract more Fortune companies but now rescind and state that Phoenix should not really ask them to relocate but to establish a presence...well that is done
No, I never stated that. I stated those cities had more Fortune 500 and 1000 companies and they do. I never specified headquarters. YOu are backtracking

Quote:
Ok, to try and explain simply Charlotte is the no. 2 financial center behind NYC for many reasons as stated before, NOT because of assets or such...that is just an element. And yes we are taught many things in business school but this index isn't anything about a true financial center since it evaluates "economic competitiveness" which is trivial and often opinion based. However, a financial center is a "City or its district (1) that has a heavy concentration of financial institutions, (2) that offers a highly developed commercial and communications infrastructure, and (3) where a great number of domestic and international trading transactions are conducted. London, New York, and Tokyo are the world's premier financial centers." However, hemispherically speaking, New York and Charlotte are the 1,2 centers for the U.S. This encompasses trade, regulatory seats of power, federal recognition as a center of banking transaction, commodities and monies trade and regulatory authority, etc. etc. Just in assets alone does make Charlotte a financial center, but as stated before that is merely a piece of the pie.
You provided this explanation and then the rankings list you provided below was based on assets. LOL...So in other words, you couldn't find a rank list to support that Charlotte was #2 in terms of the criteria you wrote above and just repasted a rank list based on other criteria (assets) Meanwhile, I provided a rank list that refuted what you said and you simply devalued it because it didn't support your opinion even though it's a reputable index that is followed each year.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...rss_topStories

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-29-2009 at 04:12 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
fcorrales

You made the same mistake that many do here. You post links without reading them. I found the same link and was about to post it because it refutes what you stated. The University of Arizona was ranked 23rd in research which is not in the top 20. In rergards to private funding, it was ranked 132. ASU wasn't even ranked in the top 25

http://mup.asu.edu/research2008.pdf

The second link you provided doesn't specify anything. It was a link the front page of the U.S. News and World Report rankings.
Was a little overzealous, UofA is 23rd and ASU is 28th...however, they are solid rankings. The second link is so that anyone who wants to know the best grad schools has a link to the info. There are far top many pages to copy and paste. So one can do their own clicking away to find ASU's top ranked graduate schools!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXtoPDX View Post
I have to chime in here because I work in the semiconductor industry. I wouldn't lean too heavily on this statistic if I were you. The industry in Phoenix is not at all healthy. Two majors (ST microelectronics and ON semiconductor) have announced that they are shutting down their manufacturing operations in Phoenix.

Phoenix was Motorola's stronghold and has been in decline ever since the company spun off their manufacturing operations in the form of ON and Freescale. Now ON is shutting down the last of four fabs it used to have in Phoenix, and there are rumors that Freescale is selling off a division that would affect their Fab in Chandler and design center in Tempe.

It won't be too long before Intel is the only major semiconductor company left in the area. Even then, their presence in Phoenix is no larger than the one they have in Albuquerque.

At this rate, Phoenix won't be number 3 for much longer. That's the reason I left for Portland (the 2nd largest semiconductor manufacturing metro behind only silicon valley). While things may be bad here, at least the companies aren't leaving.
Lots of speculation and rumor here. Maybe, maybe not. Intel is expanding in the Phoenix area. Only time will tell, but for now it is the 3rd ranked. Given Intel's HUGE oligopoly in semiconductor sales, LOL, I doubt that the loss of a couple of small companies (if it happens) will have a significant impact.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Was a little overzealous, UofA is 23rd and ASU is 28th...however, they are solid rankings. The second link is so that anyone who wants to know the best grad schools has a link to the info. There are far top many pages to copy and paste. So one can do their own clicking away to find ASU's top ranked graduate schools!
Read it again. ASU was ranked 84th not 28th

Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 AM

AZriver, I didn't post a "link" to Charlotte's no. 2 ranking because I know this information and didn't have to look it up, however, I stated that assets ARE a PIECE of the equation in what a financial center is made of.

Charlotte Chamber

According to Federal Reserve:
"Somewhat obviously, New York City is the largest U.S. banking/finacial center, boasting the biggest and busiest stock exchange in the United States, N.Y.S.E. The second largest center is Charlotte, the largest city of North Carolina. It contains the main headquarters of BankofAmerica (2nd largest US bank) and Wachovia (4th largest US bank), as well as the main offices for a couple of other large banking companies and businesses."

Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Read it again. ASU was ranked 84th not 28th
LOL, it only ranks the top 50 schools. There isn't a ranking for 84th top research university. If you look at the headers, there is 1-26, and 26-50.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
AZriver, I didn't post a "link" to Charlotte's no. 2 ranking because I know this information and didn't have to look it up, however, I stated that assets ARE a PIECE of the equation in what a financial center is made of.
So now we are going by information "we know" yet can't find evidence to support. I provided evidence from a reputable source like the Global Financial Centers Index, yet they are wrong and you are right?

Market of Markets: The Global Financial Centres Index (http://www.zyen.com/Knowledge/Articles/GFCI_V1.htm - broken link)

Quote:
LOL, it only ranks the top 50 schools. There isn't a ranking for 84th top research university. If you look at the headers, there is 1-26, and 26-50.
LOL..if you read the study more closely, there is a national ranking which is based on the total research and federal research funding. The top 25 actually refers to the top 54 universities that rank in the top 25 nationally in at least one of 9 categories. And the 26th to 50th rankings include 31 schools that rank from 26th to 50th in one of 9 categories. The only criteria that ranks the schools successively is the one that pertains to the total research and federal research dollars to which ASU was ranked 82nd and 84th respectively

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-29-2009 at 04:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area