Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM

47 posts, read 198,856 times

Advertisements

Why is there not more solar power being used in the valley? It seems to make sense to me that everyone should benefit from "free" electricity by installing solar power, but there appears to be minimal use of it. Can anyone shed any light on this? No pun intended
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I think it costs a lot to install? It's funny though, I don't know a single person (lived here my whole life) who has ever mentioned this anywhere. I do see an occasional home with solar, but it is very rare. I'd also like to hear the opinions from others.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
In the last energy crunch (early 80s) many houses in Phoenix were fitted with solar water heaters and pool heaters. There was even a subdivision built in west Phoenix where the homes had solar panels that fed the grid and the homeowners got money back from APS if they generated more than they used. Solar was huge and there were all kinds of companies - good and bad - in on the act. Anyone remember SolaHart? HOAs were stopped from banning collectors on rooftops (still are, I believe). The solar boom was fueled by big subsidies from the state in the form of tax credits. Over the years, of course, we all lost interest in conservation as the price of fuel fell. The solar collectors broke and were replaced with regular appliances and we sold our homes and moved further out to new ones without subsidies to offset the cost.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 AM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
I checked into solar and found that I would never get to a break-even point in my lifetime. The initial cost is so high and then later part replacement negates any profit at all. One of my neighbors did have it installed and 15 years later it was all in need of repair and they had it removed because they never realized enough of a savings to even cover repairs. Anything that is not metal gets eaten up by the sun!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I checked into solar and found that I would never get to a break-even point in my lifetime. The initial cost is so high and then later part replacement negates any profit at all. One of my neighbors did have it installed and 15 years later it was all in need of repair and they had it removed because they never realized enough of a savings to even cover repairs. Anything that is not metal gets eaten up by the sun!

Isn't it kind of ironic that there isnt more solar power in the Valley because the sun is so strong it ruins the solar panels. Guess we need industrial strength

Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
All the subsidies go to the traditional dirty energy generation. Sad, but you get the government you vote for.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 22,027 times
I wondered the same thing when we moved to Arizona. Our HOA does not allow solar panels. I have no idea why.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I thought about some solar water heating back in the early 80’s when I moved here now the technologies are improved and there are some real paybacks over several years with less maintenance. I would hope that the state government would go back to giving credits in incentives to install the units now.

HOAs seem to ban too many things and have too much control over those who live there.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 AM

8 posts, read 53,971 times
when we first moved here in 1991 we bought a house on Mc Cormick Ranch that was built in 1979. It had a passive solar water heater on the roof. It worked great - we had tons of hot water. Our electric water heater never ran in the summer. We were lucky, though. I heard people had problems with them cracking. The water in the summer was so hot = it was hotter that what we had out heater set at...
We've also used solatubes in a few houses and loved them (they in natural light, but no heat)

Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 34,873 times
Just as Jodymu said, the solar water heater is really useful. You can enjoy the sun's power without carbon emissions to the earth .Solar water heater is very popular in China.
The solar power lighting is also be used in many place.
The solar electrical power system is expensive in few years ago.This year,the cost of solar PV panel has reduced so much, so the solar electrical power system is cheaper.
Detail information about solar power application, please visit www.sunnybp.com
Hot product
Solar water heater
Solar LED light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area