Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times

Advertisements

Teds is the real deal. It's good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Zony... it sounds like you are trying to imitate that one picture.. Yo dog we put yo dog on a yo yo so you can yo yo, you're yo yo dog, dog....

To the OP: I haven't really found any places worth comparing it to the original. Chinese in Arizona is horrible, Mexican is branded out, and Japanese is hipster central, all about image and not food.

I will go far to say PF Chang sucks in Phoenix compared to Sacramento. Always dirty, food tastes wrong, and never good service.
You are a typical Phoenix complainer that never gets out of his house and judges all the restaurants in Phoenix because he only sees chain restaurants from the freeway. If you actually got out you would realize there are a ton of quality Chinese restaurants in the valley. They are spread out but they exist. And these are not the Americanized buffet palaces that you are thinking about. Here are some that I know off the top of my head...many more than this

Gourmet House of Hong Kong
China Chile
Wong's Place
Jade Palace
China King

p.s. PF Changs is based out of Phoenix. It's first restaurant was founded in Scottsdale so if its not good here, I fail to see how it is better in Sacramento.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-02-2009 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,722,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are a typical Phoenix complainer that never gets out of his house and judges all the restaurants in Phoenix because he only sees a chain restaurants from the freeway. If you actually got out you would realize there are a ton of quality Chinese restaurants in the valley. They are spread out but they exist. And these are not the Americanized buffet palaces that you are thinking about. Here are some that I know off the top of my head...many more than this

Gourmet House of Hong Kong
China Chile
Wong's Place
Jade Palace
China King

p.s. PF Changs is based out of Phoenix. It's first restaurant was founded in Scottsdale so if its not good here, I fail to see how it is better in Sacramento.
Since we are assuming here, you sound like the typical forum troll. When i make a valid comparison it has nothing to do with complaining but an opinion. Provide a valid rebuttal before insulting me.

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,274,641 times
I like jade palace, but definitely miss chinese food and italian food out here and they are the things I search out when travelling

i miss the real chinatown type restaurants or that local takeout place where they mess up your order and take forever to deliver, but you don't care because it's so good ...... you can find some good places here, but they often are more spendy, harder to find with a whole lot of misses in between

that's offset by the variety of foods that phoenix can excel in that other places do not

not to mention the variety of ethnic food options in this city is staggering

we have so many excellent, non-chain, options in this city that run the gamut from whole in the wall to 5 diamond restaurants (although sadly, the phoenix metro is down to just 1 right now - the place is absolutely fantastic though)

Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 39,115 times
Default good dogs in phx

chicago burger company at 38th and indian school. good stuff.
sliders, hot dogs (don't know about coneys, not an east coaster), chili, and the BEST cheese fries around.
check it out.
i lived in phoenix for years and moved away. planning on coming back. i make it to chicago burger company whenever i'm in town.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM

is there anyplace that does a good chicago style dog?

being an east coast native who has only spent snippets of time in chicago I have not experienced this treat, but would like to give it an honest try

i'm afraid of going to some half hearted replica place that doesn't do it justice and incorrectly judging the genre

Old 06-02-2009, 01:21 PM

837 posts, read 2,340,944 times
honestly the best "Hot dogs" i've had here in the valley have been the dogs at Costco. I love Hebrew hot-dogs

Old 06-02-2009, 01:23 PM

hebrew nats are great and I have a couple packages sitting at home - either throw them on the grill or put a package on the smoker when I'm cooking bbq ....... yum

in college we used to buy the big box of dietz & watson dogs and would either feast on sabretts or hebrew nats from the carts

teds uses sahlers which are a really good NY brand

backhome I would get stony brook hots from the local butcher - amazing product

Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
is there anyplace that does a good chicago style dog?

being an east coast native who has only spent snippets of time in chicago I have not experienced this treat, but would like to give it an honest try

i'm afraid of going to some half hearted replica place that doesn't do it justice and incorrectly judging the genre
Boomers is good

Chicago Style Hot Dogs | We Are Chicago | Boomer's Sweet Home Chicago | AZ Home of the Chicago Dog

Old 06-02-2009, 01:49 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,369,486 times
Anyone ever had a dog at the O in Pittsburgh? I'm not a big dog eater, but they're pretty good there.

PF Chang's is not remotely Chinese food. It's not necessarily bad, but Chinese it ain't. The only thing I've ever eaten there that I also had in China was the asparagus and two of their beers.

Last weekend my wife and I drove to LA just for the Chinese food and it was so worth it. We can tolerate Szechwan Palace here, but not much other than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area