Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Yes... I have some earlier comments in this thread that state "Scottsdale" and are unfavorable, AND those are primarily focused on "North Scottsdale" (mostly Shea to the Loop 101). Potentially points north, but it seems to mellow out in Cave Creek and Carefree, by and large.

I do enjoy Old Town. I hope I put that Old Town and that area, the more established areas of Scottsdale, are better and less "plastic". Which is very true. But the north... it is only for that select few who can stomach that crowd. And that doesn't include me.

Not that my opinion is final or anything--it isn't. But I have little patience or space in my life for the saline-implant crowd or the "just like everyone else" crowd. And since this is about opinions... that's mine.

Anyway, much more realistic and friendly in the original city areas. Too bad the rest of the city didn't follow. I spend a lot of time in Old Town and the vicinity. Also the Camelback neighborhood west of there is very cool and a lot more down to earth. Paradise Valley seems friendly compared to North Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
Question to those living in Scottsdale, AZ as I am considering it on 'my list' of possible places to move....

Is it really that bad as far as the snobbery issue I keep hearing about ? I keep hearing how snooty everyone is there (why is that??), and its definitely a concern. Tell me what's the real deal - any details you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there much to do there with kids (under the age of 12) ? How hot does it get there during the hottest summer month, also what are the winters like ? How much sun do you get there ? Pros/Cons of the area ? Thanks !!
I live in N. Scottsdale (considered upscale) and I don't see the snobbery, nor am I one myself. Why, I just went to the 99 cent store tonight and will even say it here! For some reason, there is all this hype about Scottsdale, even among those in AZ who don't live here, but there is no reason for there to be. There are far more interesting and beautiful places in this country to live.

I don't have kids so cannot say. It gets very hot in the summer, just as hot as next-door Phoenix. Too much sun for me (LOTS, to the extent I put up patio blinds just to make my house darker). It's an okay place to live, but the south part of Scottsdale isn't as desirable, IMHO.

P.S. All these people who keep dissing Scottsdale? I think they're just secretly jealous and insecure.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:30 PM

62 posts, read 427,952 times
Thank you to all who have replied on this thread.... Very enlightening I must say. I think from the comments this place will definitely be scratched off my list of possibilities.

To any of you out there who have lived all over the U.S.A. and have young kids (under 5-12 yrs.) what towns have you thought are great for raising your kids in a safe, family friendly community, with good schools, great weather, low crime, sunshine, etc ? Would love your input on towns you would recommend.... Thanks

Old 06-17-2007, 01:57 PM

149 posts, read 533,542 times
Quote:
Thank you to all who have replied on this thread.... Very enlightening I must say. I think from the comments this place will definitely be scratched off my list of possibilities.

To any of you out there who have lived all over the U.S.A. and have young kids (under 5-12 yrs.) what towns have you thought are great for raising your kids in a safe, family friendly community, with good schools, great weather, low crime, sunshine, etc ? Would love your input on towns you would recommend.... Thanks
Have you considered Fountain Hills? FH is very safe. All schools are rated as 'Excelling' (AZ LEARNS Achievement Profiles (http://www.ade.state.az.us/profile/publicview/Excelling.asp - broken link)). Temperature in summer is generally 5 degrees lower than in Phoenix. You can search this forum for more info about this town.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:21 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:

I think you are wise to scratch Scottsdale and this entire state off your list. Minnesota always ranks high, FWIW. Too cold for me, but always up there in the rankings.

This state is weird. Everytime I criticize the Phoenix metro area in this forum, I live in fear of having my comments deleted (or worse) and, for sure, negative rep (which I don't give two hoots about, as it's sort of like a high school thing). Then there are always these people in the metro area who seem to think Scottsdale is some Hollywood Hills, as if there are a bunch of *Movie Stars* living here.

All in all, I am fixing up my house. First step in possibly leaving this city. (FWIW, I knew darn well I could never live in a town with an aerial view of two small downtowns and brown gridlock).

Good luck in your search

Old 07-14-2007, 12:37 AM

62 posts, read 266,929 times
Quote:
Shopping for the residents of Scottsdale, (most of then cash-strapped), is Costco,Target, Trader Joe's, Marshall's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Discount Tire and the rest. The mass market retailers who strive for the boutique experience are frequented mostly by tourists and visitors. When Bulgari,Bacarrat,Hermes or Prada opens a shop in Phoenix/Scottsdale please let me know. Even high-end department stores like Bloomingdales and Bergdorf have no presence here, while Nordstrom and Saks have mini-junior version of their stores here because of the lack of affluent shoppers.
This quote shows your ignorance of the retail industry.

1) Bergdorf Goodman is owned by Neiman Marcus and stocks nearly the same goods. There is only one Bergdorf Goodman in the US and thats NYC.
2) Bloomingdale's is essentially an east coast store, with the exception of CA. There isn't even a Bloomie's in Dallas or Houston. Bloomie's had several consecutive unprofitable years which led it to fall behind Nordstrom, Neimans, and Saks in expansion.
3) The Phoenix Saks Fifth Avenue and Scottsdale Neimans are among the most well-stocked stores in their chains, and are both "5-level" stores. The only reason these two stores are small in size is because they opened over a decade and a half ago. However, unlike most Saks and Neimans, they are stocked to the brim. The Phoenix Saks is among 10 Saks in the country that carry Balenciaga, and among fewer Saks that stock full lines of Chloe, Mulberry, SK-II, Proenza Schueler, etc.
4) The Scottsdale Nordstrom is among the largest in the country and carries brands such as Helmut Lang that are found at very few Nordstrom. Its so successful they are opening a second Nordstrom up north.
5) Prada has six locations nationwide. After a struggle period in the late 90s, several Prada shops around the country closed and they only recently picked up pace again.
6) Hermes has signed a lease for Fashion Square.
7) Fashion Square is among the most profitable malls in the country, and no, thats not from tourists.
8) Like Prada, Bulgari also has very few locations, but has been scouting locations in at City North and Fashion Square.
9) Moreover, Scottsdale is famous for its boutiques. Its locally-owned boutiques make Scottsdale one of the few locations in the country that stock major worldwide brands like Sass & Bide, Catherine Malandrino, Bulga, Coco Blanco, Jil Sander, Zac Posen, etc.

Quote:
Schools are a national joke and that includes the Scottsdale Unified School District.(the Scootsdale phonies dream of Notre Dame High School at 15k per yr. but fool themselves by talking up Chapparal as a great school).
Chaparral has the highest percentage of students entering 4-year colleges for a public school in Arizona. Have you ever been to Arizona? From what you say, you clearly...haven't been to Scottsdale. Chaparral is consistently the top ranked school in AZ and undoubtedly has the reputation for having the best college acceptances. It ranks up there with some of the best public schools in the Bay area such as Palo Alto High School. Its AP scores and SAT averages for students are also tops for the state. The private schools in Phoenix can't even compare to Chaparral or Desert Mountain. It holds the state record for the most number of National Merit Scholars in one year, the only Arizona high school to have either a Siemens Westinghouse winner or an Intel Science Talent Search winnder. These two schools (and maybe Desert Vista in Ahwatukee) are the only schools that can truly be called "Ivy feeder schools" for Arizona.

Quote:
Golf courses overated, unusable and desolate for 6 months of the year and when in use watch out for rattlesnakes, wild javelina and bobcats coming through.
That is why Scottsdale hosts two PGA Tour events, has had 4 courses ranked in the top 10 best courses by Golf Digest and is consistently rated as one of the best golf resort towns in the world by Travel + Leisure.

Quote:
Restaurants are in the vast majority national chains offering microwaved corporate cardboard food prepared and served by bored teenagers.
I am assuming you do not eat out very often? Vu was recently voted the best new restaurant of 2005. Mary Elaine's is consistently rated among the top restaurants in the country. Scottsdale boasts scores of James Beard Award Winners. Scottsdale is consistently in the top 10 locations for foodies by Food & Wine Magazine and Gourmet Magazine. Yes, we only have national chains.

Last edited by Steel87; 07-14-2007 at 01:10 AM..

Old 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,860 times
Default Just like anywhere else

in the world, some like it and some don't. Some are angry about where they live and some are not. There will always be those who are down to earth and those that are not.....such is life. I look at the good in life and am happy to be alive, well and blessed with many things. I am not in love with NYC, Manhattan anymore and am thinking very seriously about moving to Cave Creek. If anyone can give me some info on it, I would appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day all.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 PM

23 posts, read 32,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel87 View Post
5) Prada has six locations nationwide. After a struggle period in the late 90s, several Prada shops around the country closed and they only recently picked up pace again.
6) Hermes has signed a lease for Fashion Square.
7) Fashion Square is among the most profitable malls in the country, and no, thats not from tourists.
8) Like Prada, Bulgari also has very few locations, but has been scouting locations in at City North and Fashion Square.
Excellent rebuttal!!

How do you know that Hermès has signed a lease at Scottsdale Fashion Square? Where is the location, and when is it supposed to open? (I've heard the rumors as well, and I hope you're right!)

What have you heard about Bulgari coming to Phoenix or Scottsdale?

I have heard that Prada is coming too, but I don't know anything specific about it.

Do you know of any other high-end stores that are supposed to open?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM

62 posts, read 266,929 times
Hermès is planning to enter the 3000 sq ft space next to Neiman Marus where Brentano's Bookstore once was. The current Cache Luxe / Bang & Olufsen space will be merged to make room for Bottega Veneta (opening 2008). Bang & Olufsen will relocate next door to Hermès.

Prada is still in an interesting position. Its SoHo store is performing horribly, as is its SF store. It recently closed its store in Dallas's suburb, Highland Park. I'm not sure if Prada will be expanding anytime soon. I haven't heard about Bulgari, except that CityNorth is hoping to grab it.

Salvatore Ferragamo is opening next to kate spade at the end of July.
Armani/Exchange is opening early 2008.
CH Carolina Herrera signed an LOI for the space where the temorary Tiffany & Co. is.
Michael Kors and Zara are "close" to signing (this is a rumor though.)
They are currently tearing down the old Robinsons-May space to make room for Barneys New York (department store)

Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 AM

23 posts, read 32,149 times
I've heard the same thing about where Hermès will go, but how do you know that it's not just a rumor? Do you know when Hermès will open, and why hasn't it been announced? I don't mean to sound defensive; I just think that Phoenix is overdue for an Hermès, and I hope your information is accurate.

I know about BV, Ferragamo, A/X, and Barney's.

It doens't look good for Prada. If SF and SoHo can't support the boutiques, who knows if Scottsdale could. (Of course, NYC has three other Prada boutiques...)

Is CH Carolina Herrera the lower-priced line? That seems like a really odd choice for Scottsdale. What about Armani, or Chanel, anything on those boutiques?

Thanks for the information. Sorry for hijacking the thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area