Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,096 times

Advertisements

One of the CNN financial gurus has a video on his website that talks about the run around people are getting from their states when they try to get unemployment benefits. It is listed under "Ripoffs".

He suggests that the people should contact their area state legislator for help in getting the monies started. It sounds like a reasonable idea if the person hasn't tried this approach.

altus2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
This is true. There are WAY TOO MANY call center jobs here. Also, it seems like a lot of companies want to hire H1B visas despite the fact that many Americans are out of work. Even though there are many American teachers out of work, I know a lot of schools are still bringing in teachers from overseas. What's up with that?

I don't even know if unemployment in Arizona would pay for food and other essentials. Although it is better than making no money at all. How many apartments can you find for 240 a week? Okay well maybe a crack house or something like that, but most of us want to live in a decent neighborhood. How many people can actually feed an entire family of four on 240 a week? Again you would more than likely have to stop by your local food bank. Then of course there are medical expenses, utility bills, gas, transportation. As you can see anyone who has to spend a long time in Arizona's unemployment system and has no savings would be force to file bankruptcy in a matter of months. I wish they would at least pay us a living wage. I mean 240 a week is less than minimum wage in most places now. My cousin in Indiana is making 425 a week on unemployment.
And about 95% of them are revolving door which means you will not last more than a month there because of ridiculous quotas, or managers who have big egos. I cringe every time I open up a Careerbuilder section of the paper and see that the only jobs that are hiring are for the call centers, and most of them I have worked for and quit because the job was just too stressful. But yes, AZ is relying too much on the "service" industry for jobs, we need more diversified industries to come to AZ or we are going to pack up our trailers and leave.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
And about 95% of them are revolving door which means you will not last more than a month there because of ridiculous quotas, or managers who have big egos. I cringe every time I open up a Careerbuilder section of the paper and see that the only jobs that are hiring are for the call centers, and most of them I have worked for and quit because the job was just too stressful. But yes, AZ is relying too much on the "service" industry for jobs, we need more diversified industries to come to AZ or we are going to pack up our trailers and leave.
Here in Yuma they always talk about how "diverse" the economy is. Well, it is diverse. Let's see we do have military bases but those jobs typically go to people with inside connections or veteran's preference, we have agriculture jobs that pay about $3.00 an hour but those jobs go to illegals, and there are hospitals, schools, and retail stores. I have been looking other places for employment.

I don't want to work in a call center because some of my friends have told me that you have to meet a sales quota or you are fired. They try to fire you real early so you can't collect unemployment.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
They try to fire you real early so you can't collect unemployment.
Sound like a bunch of nice people.

altus2006

Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post

altus2006
Pretty typical in the Arizona business community. Full of nice people.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post

altus2006
Yep typical with call centers. That is why I refuse to work for another call center as long as I live.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM

114 posts, read 425,303 times
An acquaintance finally got his last three weeks funded.
Unfortunately for him, he still doesn't have a card to withdraw his funds. Technically, the money is still useless. On top of that, they're having an issue w/ one of his employers not paying his share of unemployment or something in that regard. The thing is they're making a deal out of it to not fund his fourth week of Unemployment.
Just making it hard for him to get his $$.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 AM

496 posts, read 1,055,353 times
Well here's a new one I'm thinking of going to College ,maybe some kind of degree would help I don't really know I was thinking Network Admin . Any money in this?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weroses View Post
Well here's a new one I'm thinking of going to College ,maybe some kind of degree would help I don't really know I was thinking Network Admin . Any money in this?
I do not know anything about Network Administration. Although, I think college might not be a bad idea. It would be better than being out of work for an extended period of time.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weroses View Post

It might be to your advantage to sit down with a counselor and try to find out where the job market might be headed in a few years. There may be shortages in some areas and concentrating in those might offer you more available jobs when you finish school.

There are a lot of areas that I am totally unaware of and some might be great career fields.

altus2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area