Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:06 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
hahaha

Where do you come up with this stuff??? Good Heavens, man! Quick question... how old are you? Dont lie to me, either.

To put an end to your ridiculous claim, I went to a Bears game many years back in December, and there were 3 guys in the front of us who didnt wear shirts the entire game, and we were at Soldier Field for about 3 hours that day. It was overcast and a bone-chilling 20 degrees or so. After the game was over, they got up and walked out with the rest of us. They didnt appear dead to me at all.

People can lose limbs with exposure to extreme cold for a prolonged time (as little as 3-5 hours). I've witnessed this personally. I saw someone who had to have his fingers amputated due to frost bite. And this occurs subtely. These people often didn't know their limbs were damaged and starting to necrose because their burns from frost bite were so deep that it was painless which is a terrible sign. Meanwhile I've seen people survive in the desert for 36+ hours and they had first degree burns; their biggest problem was they were hypovolemic and had heat exhaustion. I know you are a tough guy but I wouldn't spend too many nights in an Illinois winter without gloves, you might come home and realize you can't feel your fingers and then start to notice a grayish-purple discoloration with a waxy texture and then find yourself in the ER. Like I said, most people who suffer from these types of injuries aren't aware of the damage they have experienced until it's too late. But like with anything, the outcomes will depend on a lot of factors like the temperature, alcohol intake, age of the patient, ability to autoregulate their temps etc

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-20-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM

77 posts, read 297,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
If you were here in June it was one of the coolest month of June ever. Certainly the coolest I can remember in 31 years in Tempe. Yesterday was 114 and today is around 112. Should be close to that for the next 30 to 50 days and it really doesn't start feeling cool again until October. If you like the heat it is a good place to be. I love the heat as long as I can get away and cool off a few times per summer. That is why we have a place in Ruidoso, NM.

The Ruidoso Web Site... Ruidoso, New Mexico
I heard that it was a bit cooler for June. I think the hottest temp was about 107 degrees while I was there. It honestly felt no warmer than a 90 degree humid day here in the midwest to me.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
People can lose limbs with exposure to extreme cold for a prolonged time (as little as 3-5 hours). I've witnessed this personally. I saw someone who had to have his fingers amputated due to frost bite. And this occurs subtely. These people often didn't know their limbs were damaged and starting to necrose because their burns from frost bite were so deep that it was painless which is a terrible sign. Meanwhile I've seen people survive in the desert for 36+ hours and they had first degree burns; their biggest problem was they were hypovolemic and had heat exhaustion. I know you are a tough guy but I wouldn't spend too many nights in an Illinois winter without gloves, you might come home and realize you can't feel your fingers and then start to notice a grayish-purple discoloration with a waxy texture and then find yourself in the ER. Like I said, most people who suffer from these types of injuries aren't aware of the damage they have experienced until it's too late. But like with anything, the outcomes will depend on a lot of factors like the temperature, alcohol intake, age of the patient, ability to autoregulate their temps etc
In all fairness: being stuck in direct sun in, say, Bullhead City may take down an otherwise healthy person in well under 24 hours but, being stuck in 0F cold even heavily dressed (same period of time) would probably be deadlier.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 PM

522 posts, read 716,194 times
Im not a midwesterner but a new englander and for me its humidity hands down.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
To put it simply, when it comes to the sub-Arctic nights that Chicago experiences every once in a while, you just have to be smart. Same goes for PHX when its 118 degrees. Think smart and come prepared and youll be just fine. Last winter we hit record cold one night in areas, with recorded windchills up to -50 degrees. I was outside that night for about 45 minutes changing a battery. My brother had to run down the street to the Auto Zone to get some starter fluid and I stayed outside the entire time waiting for him to return. The wife thought I was crazy, especially after witnessing the ice on my eyelashes. But, I was prepared and dressed for it and didnt find it that bad at all. Same goes for when I hiked Camelback in the 116 degree heat 2 years ago (June). I brought plenty of water, hiked slowly, found whatever shade was available (wasnt much) and exploited it. Yes it was ridiculously hot, but I was prepared and survived just fine.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
To put it simply, when it comes to the sub-Arctic nights that Chicago experiences every once in a while, you just have to be smart. Same goes for PHX when its 118 degrees. Think smart and come prepared and youll be just fine. Last winter we hit record cold one night in areas, with recorded windchills up to -50 degrees. I was outside that night for about 45 minutes changing a battery. My brother had to run down the street to the Auto Zone to get some starter fluid and I stayed outside the entire time waiting for him to return. The wife thought I was crazy, especially after witnessing the ice on my eyelashes. But, I was prepared and dressed for it and didnt find it that bad at all. Same goes for when I hiked Camelback in the 116 degree heat 2 years ago (June). I brought plenty of water, hiked slowly, found whatever shade was available (wasnt much) and exploited it. Yes it was ridiculously hot, but I was prepared and survived just fine.
And the reality is you like Chicagoland (which is cool) and take offence when several of us here in Arizona have no use for it---------and state it.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 PM

8 posts, read 12,299 times
I only move to Midwest (Indiana) for my husband schooling the last 5 yrs, but I'm really from Southern Cal. Now that he's done, I want to get out ASAP before I go crazy. AZ is a logical choice since houses are more affortable and taxes are lower compare to Cal. The heat might be rough, but I'll learn to live w/ it for now. As much as I miss Cal, I can't afford living there right now since cost of living is too much.

Reasons why I want to leave Indy is because there's lack of things to do, lack of good food/restaurants, no good shopping center, winter is miserable and last too long along w/ driving during winter is dangerous/slippery.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:54 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsy16 View Post
I only move to Midwest (Indiana) for my husband schooling the last 5 yrs, but I'm really from Southern Cal. Now that he's done, I want to get out ASAP before I go crazy. AZ is a logical choice since houses are more affortable and taxes are lower compare to Cal. The heat might be rough, but I'll learn to live w/ it for now. As much as I miss Cal, I can't afford living there right now since cost of living is too much.

Reasons why I want to leave Indy is because there's lack of things to do, lack of good food/restaurants, no good shopping center, winter is miserable and last too long along w/ driving during winter is dangerous/slippery.
Do some research, as your husband has to have a job and as all over the US, there is no place I am aware of that is utopia....Why was he schooling in Indiana?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsy16 View Post

You need to get out more. Indianapolis has a whole slew of 'things to do' (whatever that means) and great restaurants to frequent.......IF you conduct the research. It has no fewer things to do than anywhere else. It sure has improved since I grew up there in the 80s. Hoosiers live their lives no differently than anyone else--go to work, go home, go shopping, go to the gym, go to the movies, take the kids to X practice, etc. So how does that differe from anywhere else?? I live in Phoenix now and prefer Indianapolis anyday! I plan to move back that way too.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
You need to get out more. Indianapolis has a whole slew of 'things to do' (whatever that means) and great restaurants to frequent.......IF you conduct the research. It has no fewer things to do than anywhere else. It sure has improved since I grew up there in the 80s. Hoosiers live their lives no differently than anyone else--go to work, go home, go shopping, go to the gym, go to the movies, take the kids to X practice, etc. So how does that differe from anywhere else?? I live in Phoenix now and prefer Indianapolis anyday! I plan to move back that way too.

Moving to Indiana before or after Wisconsin (cheese land to former MN), and people do all those things in AZ too, even in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area