Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And the shallowness continues! Unless youre a self-proclaimed masochist who prefers AZ's climate to SD's.
Actually Tempe's 115 today feels really good on my knees. I am sure you would not enjoy it, but some of us do. I will take 115 anytime over a -20 in Chi-town. I know, I done them both for many years!! I am not a self proclaimed masochist, I just know what I like.

I'm glad you don't like it in AZ as you would be living way too close to me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:03 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
I would die in the Arizona heat. Also, isn't there some concern about having enough water out there?
I lived in New Mexico for a while, and hated it. Dry, barren, depressing place. Some of the northern parts had trees, but unfortunately, it was still New Mexico.
The only problem with the midwest for me, is the old rustbelt cities that haven't adapted very well to the new economy. Winter is never a problem. The hot, humid summers, on the other hand.... at least it's not like Arkansas or Texas, where there's never a break from the heat.
If I retire to somewhere else, it will probably be to Maine, where real estate is cheap, the scenery is wonderful, the weather's rarely too hot, and it actually it's own culture. It's a fun and relaxing place.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And the shallowness continues!

You really, honestly, truly, officially think AZ has the ultimate trump card because you have "decent weather"? Hmmmm, I bet my thermometer right now would disagree with that ridiculous statement. NO PLACE HAS PERFECT WEATHER!!!! San Diego is about as close as it gets. And if you could afford it, you'd live there, too (unless youre a self-proclaimed masochist who prefers AZ's climate to SD's).

And speaking of trump cards....I know things like schools, COL, community, wages, culture, arts, public transportation, diversity and jobs MEAN NOTHING TO (most) ZONIES, but to the rest of us who actually like VARIETY and OPTIONS, it means the world. I know, I know, we dont get as much sunshine as AZ, so therefore we dont have the ultimate "trump card". I guess you really dont see how silly you truly sound. That would be the equivalent of someone from Podunk, KS saying their city is better than PHX because they have better roads. Would you not shake your head and wanna laugh yourself to death?

I lived in SD for 10 years before I moved back to Phoenix. I've lived through a total of 10 summers here. I prefer Phoenix's climate because it actually has a bit of variety and it's sunnier. While it might be more comfortable temperature-wise, San Diego's climate can become extremely boring. It is often much more cloudy than I care to experience. I feel "home" when I'm in Phoenix. I never felt that way in San Diego. I may have made money in real estate in SD, I'm spending that money in PHX! My job pays way more in PHX than SD ever did. SD is expensive for housing but is comparable for practically everything else. You CAN live cheaply in SD. I did up until the housing market topped in 2005 and I ran for the exit.

And to bring it all home...I'm from the Midwest. I could actually move to Lawrence KS and enjoy myself (I'd be a storm-chaser!). I could live in the beautiful suburbs north of Milwaukee, if I wanted to (but I'd have to have more money to pay those property taxes). I could even live in the UP, yup, the good 'ol Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Phoenix's winters always remind me of UP summers, don't know why. Yes, the Midwest actually has a lot to offer: charming small towns, distinct seasons, people who realize they're all in the same boat. But I live here because of the sunny weather, the mountains nearby, and I can enjoy SD, LA, LV, and many national parks in every direction. Oh, and those spring training games are to die for!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I would die in the Arizona heat. Also, isn't there some concern about having enough water out there?
Water is of very little concern. All of our man made lakes are pretty much full. This is the only place I have lived without water restrictions. In Chicago sometimes we could only water every other day, not here. In Ruidoso at times they have water restrictions.

Obviously you didn't travel much in New Mexico. Ruidoso is at 7000 ft and has 100 ft ponderosa pines everywhere. It is as far south as Phoenix but has a climate closer to Flagstaff. The Lincoln National Forest as well as Cloudcroft and Timberon could never be classified as barren. The Gila National Forest is also as green as can be.

Maine would be a great place for you!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
"All of our man made lakes are pretty much full."

There are also large underground water sources, as well as the CAP, which brings in water from the Colorado River.
While I've never seen water restrictions here, I think most everyone is aware that this is a desert climate, and that you can't go around wasting all sorts of water. That's why so many yards are xeriscaped.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:24 AM

Both my front and back yards are Bermuda grass. They just love water and heat. None of those rock yards for me. Winter lawns are very nice too!!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:33 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
"In Chicago sometimes we could only water every other day"

Last year near Dallas where my parents live, they could water only once a week! They live across the street from a very large lake, and my dad would draw lakewater out with a bucket to keep his plants and trees from dying.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 AM

568 posts, read 1,206,343 times
I love the heat, always have. Summer in Phoenix is like an outdoor sauna, almost therapeutic; it's like all of your impurities and sin are being burnished away every time you walk outdoors! A quasi-religious experience. That punch you were going to throw at your neighbor for his incessant barking dogs? Suddenly, all of that violent energy has been sucked away from your being. That criminal thinking about stealing a car? He's too afraid of getting burnt by the steering wheel.

Being of Swedish descent, I really think it must be in my blood. I love the contrast of walking from the generally freezing office buildings that I work in to the outdoors oven. But my favorite thing is, when I come in from my long, hot commute from the West Valley to Central, as soon as I walk into my apartment, it's banana milkshake time. Here's the recipe:

Banana Milkshake:

Mix 1 large banana, 2 cups milk(skim is healthier), 2 tbsp honey, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 2 tsp cinnamon, a few cubes of ice in a blender at full speed.

Note: tastes much better when bananas are fully ripe.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Banana Milkshake:

Mix 1 large banana, 2 cups milk(skim is healthier), 2 tbsp honey, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 2 tsp cinnamon, a few cubes of ice in a blender at full speed.

Note: tastes much better when bananas are fully ripe.
That sounds really good. I would think about adding a little rum once in awhile!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:53 AM

568 posts, read 1,206,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
That sounds really good. I would think about adding a little rum once in awhile!
Thanks for having perfected my recipe! I always knew it was missing something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area