Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Jobs? What jobs? The only jobs here are low-paying customer service jobs that dont offer a paycheck or future. At least the Midwest has INDUSTRY that balances the economy and creates a higher cost of living. Those states actually produce something, Arizona doesnt. As far as taxes goes, it depends on where you live. And Arizona bar none has a higher cost of living than IN, WI, OH, MI and IL outside the Chicago area. I honestly dont see any advantage AZ has to those other states.
Arizona has the trump card------------decent weather.

Besides; being an automotive alignment tech by trade, I hate working on those rusty POS vehicles from the Rust Belt.

If you are that disgusted with the Phx area-----------no one is holding a gun to your head telling you that you need to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Besides; being an automotive alignment tech by trade, I hate working on those rusty POS vehicles from the Rust Belt.

If you are that disgusted with the Phx area-----------no one is holding a gun to your head telling you that you need to stay.
Not only that, but a lot of jobs available in Arizona require a degree; Nursing, Business Management, Education, "High-tech," Engineering, Financial planning, etc. to name a few.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:08 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I've lived in NE OH for 40 years (am still here, but looking at Phoenix, AZ for future relocation). Main reason for wanting to get out: Yes, indeedy, it "does suck" here in a major way during winter. As someone has already said, the months of pervasive dark, overcast skies as well as lack of direct sunlight affects a person. For me, lack of direct sunlight in winter affects me profoundly. Can't say that I felt the effects as much in my earlier years, but starting in my late 30's, I started feeling it and now, in my mid-40's, it's killer every winter. I can't say that Ohio is horrible at other times. However, five to six months of winter (and SAD) seems to negate the good months more and more the older I get.

Additionally, one begins to realize that there are choices of where to spend one's life, as there are a finite number of years in each and every life.

We haven't been affected by unemployment (knock on wood), but I know those that have. Most that I personally know have moved to the South. For me, I prefer the landscape/topography and culture of the West. I'm looking forward to coming out there in the short-term future and spending some time there to see how it "feels."
I feel a kinship here. While I didn't originally move to Phoenix to escape the winter blues, I did notice almost immediately that the sunshine made it next to impossible to be "down". The sun brightens my mood and I'm sure you'll enjoy the same effect when you move here.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,254,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I feel a kinship here. While I didn't originally move to Phoenix to escape the winter blues, I did notice almost immediately that the sunshine made it next to impossible to be "down". The sun brightens my mood and I'm sure you'll enjoy the same effect when you move here.
"The sunshine bores the daylights out of me". The Glimmer Twins.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
And Steve-o, while the skiing in AZ doesn't really compare to Colorado, the vertical drops are longer and higher than any hill in Michigan. In fact, the drops in AZ actually measure the physical distance of mountains, over 1000ft. You don't have that in Michigan. There are black diamond runs in AZ, they have those in Michigan??? Don't think so.
There are hundreds of black diamond runs in Michigan.

And while there are a few select areas in AZ where you can ski, MI has lots of options all over the state, no need to drive hours upon hours to go ski. And IMO, the skiing in MI offers a more quintessential skiing experience. You know, deep pine forests, European-inspired lodges with wood burning fireplaces and hot cocoa, snow all around the area that just isnt confined to the top of the mountain most of the time (ie AZ). And nowhere in AZ can you get a view like this while youre skiing! Suckers!
Flickr Photo Download: lutsen mountain (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8327111@N03/717705094/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the shallowness continues!

You really, honestly, truly, officially think AZ has the ultimate trump card because you have "decent weather"? Hmmmm, I bet my thermometer right now would disagree with that ridiculous statement. NO PLACE HAS PERFECT WEATHER!!!! San Diego is about as close as it gets. And if you could afford it, you'd live there, too (unless youre a self-proclaimed masochist who prefers AZ's climate to SD's).

And speaking of trump cards....I know things like schools, COL, community, wages, culture, arts, public transportation, diversity and jobs MEAN NOTHING TO (most) ZONIES, but to the rest of us who actually like VARIETY and OPTIONS, it means the world. I know, I know, we dont get as much sunshine as AZ, so therefore we dont have the ultimate "trump card". I guess you really dont see how silly you truly sound. That would be the equivalent of someone from Podunk, KS saying their city is better than PHX because they have better roads. Would you not shake your head and wanna laugh yourself to death?

Old 07-18-2009, 10:32 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,524,650 times
Here are two photo's of Mt Lemmon, the ski slopes just 1 hour drive from my home:

The best part is, one can play in the snow, then drive home and enjoy wonderful mid-60's temperatures.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And the shallowness continues! NO PLACE HAS PERFECT WEATHER!!!!
What about Hawaii? I think its weather is even better than San Diego's.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:37 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,524,650 times
And this is where I live:

And this is where I'm moving to in a couple months:

Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
The best part is, one can play in the snow, then drive home and enjoy wonderful mid-60's temperatures.
We have a place in Ruidoso, NM where you can snow ski in the morning and play golf in the afternoon in the middle of winter. The best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area