Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,321,360 times

Advertisements

without proper clothing, provisions, etc. and then end up needing rescued, do you think that they should be charged the cost of their rescue? I saw something in the AZ Republic a couple of days ago to that effect-that somewhere here in AZ, although it escapes me where it was now-they are considering charging people who go hiking in extreme and potentially dangerous weather conditions without taking the proper precautions and end up needing a government agency to come to their rescue.

We relocated here from a cold state, and this same issue was raised there, only in that case, it pertained to ice fishermen. Every spring, no matter what the weather forecast called for, there would always be some individual, or a large group of people, who would insist on going out on the ice on Lake Erie and then would end up getting stranded when the ice that they were on broke away and became a separate ice floe. This past March or April, a large group of guys had taken trucks, ATVs, etc. out on the ice with them to go ice fishing when this happened to them. In fact, in this case, the ice had already separated and they had placed 2x4s across the crack so that they could drive onto the ice floe!!! The rescue ended up costing in excess of $250,000, by the time that three sheriffs departments had to be involved, not to mention the cost of a rescue helicoptor. And then, after their lives were saved, a couple of these guys even threatened to sue the sheriff because their ATVs weren't rescued too!!!

In that case, I think they needed to be charged for their stupidity, but, getting back to my original topic, do you think that people who go hiking here in AZ in dangerous temperatures without taking proper precautions should pay for their rescue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,425,401 times
From what I was told, if you are rescued, you pay for the rescue.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,268,803 times
Lost in American West? You may be billed for rescue

Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 AM

687 posts, read 2,954,064 times
Phoenix,or Arizona heat, feels so different from many other climates. The extreme humidity of the south at 75-80' makes our 100' feel, well, great! Unaccustomed to the dry heat, many feel it's cooler, no biggie, take off and don't even think of water because they're used to, once again, humidity. One of the hottest days I've spent in 57 years was in Dallas Texas, mid May, temp was low 70's, standing in the shade and feeling like I'm gonna die! Sweat pouring out of every pore and then some. Moving to Arizona(Phoenix, 24 years ago)after 23 years in Denver, Colorado, the heat felt "light" for lack of a better word. The sun wasn't as intense as the mile high equivilant, Denver's 90-95' felt like Phoenix's 110'. I don't blame these people who get caught up in the weather and take off on a hike. Sad story. But I do blame the zonies who drive into washes. Total idiots.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 AM

481 posts, read 944,562 times
I'm not sure because I wonder where would it end as far as paying for rescue services and police assistance? I cna see the dumb drivers law, because no one anywhere would have any reason to drive through rushing water. However, I cna see someone starting a hike right before it got really hot, ends up stuck in the extreme heat, and so on. I'd have to think about it a little more before I got behind it.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I'm not sure because I wonder where would it end as far as paying for rescue services and police assistance? I cna see the dumb drivers law, because no one anywhere would have any reason to drive through rushing water. However, I cna see someone starting a hike right before it got really hot, ends up stuck in the extreme heat, and so on. I'd have to think about it a little more before I got behind it.
It might have to depend on the circumstances somewhat, (i.e., if you are out hiking early with plenty of water but fall and break a leg, that's one thing) but in a lot of these cases, it's not that much different than the idiots who drive into a running wash.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:44 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,879,694 times
Yes, I think they certainly should pay for their own rescue if they aren't already required to do so!
How stupid is it to decide to go hiking at 100+ degrees! W*F! Just as dumb as these people that actually go running outside for exercise at these temps! Water doesn't save you much in these temps outdoors as there is a big risk you may still pass out.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,025,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Yes, I think they certainly should pay for their own rescue if they aren't already required to do so!
How stupid is it to decide to go hiking at 100+ degrees! W*F! Just as dumb as these people that actually go running outside for exercise at these temps! Water doesn't save you much in these temps outdoors as there is a big risk you may still pass out.
This isn't true, what kills is lack of water and not listening to your body. You can go hiking all day if prepared and people run at these temps because most take proper precautions and know they can handle it. While I would not recommend a Seattle resident come to Phoenix and in the first day go running at 4pm when it is 107°.

However, you must have enough water to replace what you lose from sweating...this is the main culprit to death in the desert. Like observer said, it depends on the circumstances for the rescue. Was someone prepared but slipped and needed to be carried out? That is different compared to a situation where someone only took a bottle of water with them, that's just stupid at 80° in March, much less 107° in July.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,792,395 times
Yeah but who's to say what the proper precautions are? Suppose someone goes out with water treatment tablets, emergency bivy, extra water, and a first aid kit, but they forgot their GPS and compass at home. Does that mean they did not take "proper" precautions?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM

338 posts, read 1,625,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I agree with you. I personally think it's stupid to hike at 100+ degrees but like another poster said, it is possible to do it safely if you are well prepared.

I belive you do get charged for the rescue. I totally agree with that. Can't expect the state to cover fees for people's stupidity. Sometimes it is an accident but I still think you should be responsible for the rescue costs.

It is very sad that a 14 year old boy died after hiking on Sunday but come on now people, a family from Alaska goes hiking for 4 hours during the hottest weekend of the year in Arizona. Now if that is not stupid I don't know what is. Seriously, they should have been better informed of our heat extremes out here. A lot of people just don't get it. They do not realize how fast heat exhuastion and dehydration can strike. The best way to avoid heat stroke is ot NOT do strenuous activities outdoors in hot weather. If you must hike in Arizona in July, drink plenty of water before and during your hikes. It is sad that these things happen but also very annoying at the same time. I have lived in Arizona for almost 30 years and I do not hike in the middle of the summer and I only run after the sun is starting to set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area