Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times

Advertisements

Live in Avondale, the northern part. I work in Tempe and am trying to avoid the I-10 as much as possible in the west valley for crush hour commutes.

The other day I tried Van Buren and I don't recomend it because it goes through Tolleson, it's like Mayberry through there with Barney Fife and his radar gun trying to ticket everyone for going a few miles over.

How is Mc Dowell or Thomas or Indian School? Anybody have experiences driving those streets in the west valley?

I don't really mind using the freeways in the east side, I just hate that I-10 route past downtown and westward.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 03:49 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
This is a perfect example of finding a job and getting your residence near there. Otherwise you end up with an insane commute that no matter how you slice it sucks on surface streets or freeway.

Live near where you work folks there is plenty of nice places all around.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
have you tried MC 85/Buckeye road? - you have to get a bit more southern, but it could make work out

i had bad luck with thomas and trains for some odd reason - that and if you are starting west of the agua fria it doesn't run all the way across

indian school can be a little bit better, but there has been some road work recently

pending where you live you could combine routes as well .... construction will be done on the I-10 by the start of october, which should keep traffic flowing smoothly until at least 83rd ave

Old 07-27-2009, 03:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
just saw you were in the northern part of avondale - missed that on the first read

the MC-85 may be too far south for you to want to drive to - only benefit is that it could workout if you connected into the 17, cut that south of downtown and connected into the 10 and then onto tempe

Loco - i definitely advise to live near where you work, however it's not always that easy ...... sometimes there are two jobs in the household and someone is going to get left holding the short straw - also jobs seems to be a lot more come and go than your housing situation ..... circumstances can change pretty quickly

Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 PM

78 posts, read 285,495 times
I used to take Buckeye or Lower Buckeye to avoid traffic to commute to downtown. There were many days there was construction on Buckeye Rd last yr.

You can go more south depending upon your location. My husband used to take Broadway or Southern depending upon construction.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
This is a perfect example of finding a job and getting your residence near there. Otherwise you end up with an insane commute that no matter how you slice it sucks on surface streets or freeway.

Live near where you work folks there is plenty of nice places all around.
I'd love to do that but you know perfectly well that it's not always feasible for various reasons.

I used to live in Chandler near the 101 Loop and the fashion center which was closer to my job, but moved to north Avondale recently to be near my significant other and family in the west valley.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I was wondering why you moved. I hope the signif other works on that side of the valley, so you both aren't stuck with the lousy commute!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 AM

157 posts, read 422,130 times
depending which part of Tempe you are going for one possibility would be going around South Mountain on a south side

Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejn View Post
depending which part of Tempe you are going for one possibility would be going around South Mountain on a south side
To go truly around South Mountain and back to Tempe, you have to go to Riggs Road -- way far south, and then you hit the incoming from Maricopa, etc.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM

I work in north Tempe on Ash and Rio Salado near the light rail line.

Actually thought about taking the train to downtown and getting on an express bus route to the west valley. That could be another thread.

Meantime, it's good they're finally widening the 202 Loop, wish they would do the same for the I-10 west, and build that new 808 Loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area