Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM

15 posts, read 33,080 times

Advertisements

Moving to Phx from Raleigh end of year, was there last month, anyone have any info on Taylor Morrison homes at Del Rio Ranch in Avondale or Canyone Trails in Goodyear, wife job will be at Lower Buckeye and 35th Ave, and I know that is not a good part of town. Also any new updates on the new mall, as to a starting date?

Thanks Rodney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:38 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Avondale versus Goodyear? It's like comparing steak and hamburger. Much of Avondale is ghetto in waiting while Goodyear is well on the way to becoming the premier west valley city.

I haven't heard much on the mall lately. I doubt it'll happen until they start building new homes again in earnest - another year maybe...

Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
Goodyear was awarded "All American City" and "Most Livable City" last year. That should say a lot.
As far as the mall, I read somewhere that construction was being delayed one year due to the economy.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
We live in Goodyear (Canyon Trails) and my wife works in Avondale. No question, live in Goodyear as Avondale isn't very appealing to me.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
I too would recommend goodyear over avondale and canyon trails would help set her up for a liveable commute that could avoid I-10

that's honestly not a bad area of avondale - but goodyear is put together a little better

another development next to canyon trails I like is glenmont estates

the mall is probably not happening any time soon - they've done a couple of one year delays ...... i think the population is currently in place to support it, however that population doesn't have a great amount of discretionary income to support it which makes retailers balk

there are some new shops opening and some other shops closing in the area so things are definitely not at a standstill .... however, no one is really ready to commit to such a big project

will need either a rebound in retail sales #s or more population

Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I too would recommend goodyear over avondale and canyon trails would help set her up for a liveable commute that could avoid I-10

that's honestly not a bad area of avondale - but goodyear is put together a little better

another development next to canyon trails I like is glenmont estates

the mall is probably not happening any time soon - they've done a couple of one year delays ...... i think the population is currently in place to support it, however that population doesn't have a great amount of discretionary income to support it which makes retailers balk

there are some new shops opening and some other shops closing in the area so things are definitely not at a standstill .... however, no one is really ready to commit to such a big project

will need either a rebound in retail sales #s or more population
I believe the mall is more a matter of finding financing and, secondarily, rooftops than discretionary income. Goodyear income is among the highest in the state. Take a look at these recent figures especially disposable income at the bottom of page 1:

http://www.goodyearaz.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=4467

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-07-2009 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
take a look at retail sales - they had the financing lined up, the # of households was pretty well known, etc

it's just that retailers and developers are getting killed out there and need to be cautious

goodyear and LP are above the trend in household income for sure which leads to the type of stores they have planned for the mall ....... however, those stores are a little hesitant to jump into the fray now, and I can't blame them

this thing was full bore until the economy fell into the crapper

now they say 2011 (and they can't expect a big increase in population by then - just like they couldn't of expected a big increase when they delayed it from 2009 until 2010)

Quote:
Newland said financing for the 107-acre outdoor mall is solid but retailers are unwilling to open in 2010, given the market conditions.
The announcement marks an about-face for the Phoenix-based mall developer, which a few weeks ago said it planned to break ground in the first quarter of this year.
Asked how the company could guarantee opening in 2011 after two delays in a row, Newland said the plan is based on the best information available today.
"We feel like we have a pretty good pulse on what's going on and know that we can deliver at the right time for the market," he said.
Westcor delays Goodyear Estrella Falls mall opening again

Quote:
Westcor's presentation comes as Goodyear reviews the plans for Estrella Falls before Westcor can secure a building permit.
Early last year, Phoenix-based Westcor decided to postpone the mall's opening to fall 2010, a 14-month delay, largely because of the weak economy.
Asked about the reliability of Westcor's financing in light of the recession, Hunter said, "We would not move forward unless we had the financing."
The 107-acre mall will include about 974,000 square feet of retail space. Macy's, Dillard's, Coach and Industrial Rideshop have already signed on.
Westcor readies to break ground on Estrella Falls mall

this one also mentions concerns over sewer capacity and goes back to the initial delay

Quote:
Retailers are more confident about launching new stores in 2010 than they are about opening next year, Newland said.

Dillard's and Harkins Theatres will anchor the regional mall, and Westcor has been in talks with another potential anchor, Macy's, which recently cut more than 2,000 jobs nationally.

"It's disappointing, but it's understandable, and probably if I were a retailer, I'd be concerned also about opening up a new store," Goodyear Mayor Jim Cavanaugh said.

In light of the delay, no stores have pulled out of their agreements to open at Estrella Falls, Newland said.

In addition to the anchors, Coach, Chico's, Industrial Rideshop and White House | Black Market have committed to the Southwest Valley project.

City officials said they have no reason to believe Westcor would abandon Estrella Falls.

"It's disappointing, but the good thing is, they're still planning to come forward with it," Goodyear Economic Development Director Harry Paxton said.

Construction on the outdoor mall now is expected to begin early next year.

Despite the mall delay, Westcor will continue making infrastructure improvements in the area. Also, a new freeway interchange is under construction nearby, at Bullard Avenue and Interstate 10.
Goodyear, AZ - Official Website (http://www.ci.goodyear.az.us/Archive.aspx?ADID=2071 - broken link)

Quote:
“We made the decision to shift the timing from fall 2009 to fall 2010 because of several factors,” Garrett Newland, vice president of development for Westcor, told CPN. “Many retailers are pulling back from deals in 2008 and 2009 and even closing stores nationwide. Our retail partners have to come in and be successful and we believe a 2010 opening will be better.”

In a “letter to the community” on the Estrella Falls website, Westcor’s message included “working closely with our retailers, we have determined that a shift in timing of the grand opening for the regional mall is the responsible and appropriate thing to do for Estrella Falls. Our new opening date of fall 2010 will not only meet the needs of our retailers, but also accommodate some recent infrastructure challenges.”

Newland said Westcor was concerned, too, with the ability or provide adequate wastewater capacity by a private utilities provider to the mall. “All these factors led us to believe that the delay is a good move,” he added.

Despite the delay, the Market at Estrella Falls--the power center component of Estrella Falls--is slated to open on time this fall. Retailers committed to the project include Bashas’, Shoe Pavilion, Staples, Petco, TJ Maxx’s HomeGoods, Razmataz and La-Z-Boy.

The Estrella Falls regional shopping center is located near a 300-acre, mixed-use destination in the Southwest Valley. The project will also include additional commercial uses, hotel, office and multi-family residential uses.

“We’re in a softening market with housing starts down significantly; especially on the west and southeast side of Phoenix,” David Glimcher, president & CEO, of Glimcher Ventures Southwest L.L.C., told CPN.. “For Westcor to do a regional mall, it requires a commitment of a number of anchors and basically the department stores are pulling out on a lot of projects right now and pulling back. Macy’s has experienced layoffs, is closing stores and pulling out of deals.”

Department stores are hesitant to move forward, Glimcher said, adding that he wouldn’t be surprised to find out in six months that the project could be further delayed to as late as 2012.

“It takes a number of anchor tenants; two won’t make it fly especially when one is a movie theater. That is the kind of environment we’re in for major projects,” said Glimcher, whose firm has three prominent lifestyle projects in Phoenix focused on entertainment. “Centers like ours, focused strictly on entertainment with restaurants, are a product still needed in the marketplace and not overbuilt.”
Westcor Pushes Phoenix Mall Opening Back a Year

until the economy turns around & retailers stabalize we are in a holding patter with the mall

the good news is that the power centers and infrastructure are being worked on and you can see it - be it the road work on mcdowell, to the bullard linear park, to the goodyear crossing and estrella falls marketplace power centers to the opening of PF Changs and the currently being built red robin

it will happen - i too wouldn't be shocked if it was in 2012 though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area