Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 PM

943 posts, read 2,523,284 times

Advertisements

Any opinions? My parents went to look at it for me today and they are going to take hubby out tonight. 2,500 sq. ft. with some upgrades for $269,000. Should we use a realtor? Any info would be appreciated!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:09 PM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
New? Why use a realtor? Realtors are for locating houses and showing them. I think they are completely unnecessary on purchases from builders. That price sounds good - barely $100 per square foot. They can't be making much if anything on it.

Canyon Trails is a new master-planned community right off of I-10 in Goodyear. They have a website.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:32 PM

94 posts, read 349,743 times
Definitly use a realtor. It costs you nothing! There are many things that the builder is not going to tell you and will just give you a stack of disclosures. Also, they are making a ton on those houses. My sister actually started to have one built there and then backed out in 2002. Back then the 4 bed + loft model was only $113K.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:21 PM

32 posts, read 101,614 times
My husband works some folks from the area (not Canyon Trails specifically) and they all told him to stay away from anything south of I-10 in that area.

I had found but cannot find it now to give you the address a community website for Canyon Trails...after perusing their message boards I concluded that my husband's co-workers might be right...many posts about vandalism in the parks, etc.

The prices are great, much lower than north of I-10, e.g., Palm Valley.

There's a lot for sale in there, I would definitely use a realtor and not settle on the first house you see.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM

611 posts, read 2,309,477 times
Have you talked with any of the neighbors there? I would recommend that when considering any subdivision.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:08 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. DH ended up making an offer on a new spec home in Palm Valley. I've NEVER seen him so excited about a house.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 AM

611 posts, read 2,309,477 times
Military Spouse, congratulations to you! I think you'll like it there!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:10 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,760,567 times
Fantastic. Now you get to go shopping Military Spouse for all the fun things.
Welcome to AZ. Please keep posting your experiences with your new neighborhood so other new arrivals can get a feel for Palm Valley.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Fantastic. Now you get to go shopping Military Spouse for all the fun things.
Welcome to AZ. Please keep posting your experiences with your new neighborhood so other new arrivals can get a feel for Palm Valley.
Will do. We anticipate moving the middle of Nov.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 11,874 times
Default Looking for homes

We just back from a trip to Arizona and looking at most of Metro Phoenix area (out of state). Most of the homes north of the 10 freeway are much higher priced for some unknown reason. For those of us who don't make $80,000+ a year, buying south of the 10 is the only way to obtain a home.

Buckeye seems remote and very little shopping except scrub-brush and farm lands. But before I offend anyone living there, the home prices are great and lots of good families. We know a ton of people who live there and they are very nice folks in those neighborhoods.

Goodyear is east of Buckeye and appears to be slightly more developed than Buckeye, with plenty of shopping and a bit closer to the metro areas for employment. It also seems like it's communities are better planned too.

Avondale and Tolleson seem to be not as nice and a bit run down. There is alot of graffiti when we went to look at those communities and homes. My friends from Buckeye told me to stay away from those cities. I've even heard of residents from Tolleson trying to move because of the crime there.

We drove through Laveen and liked how close it was to Phoenix and downtown. They had a gorgeous library and community facilities. We also liked how the city was up against the mountains and over looked Phoenix, but again, we saw lot of signs of trouble. We drove by a few schools with suspicious and gang looking youths there (maybe I was in the bad part of town?).

Tempe and Mesa seem to be older and there is alot of industry there. We have alot of friends that work down there.

We then looked at Gilbert and Chandler (neighboring cities east of Phoenix). We loved those areas but because they were developed with lots of nice shopping centers and community facilities yet they were higher priced (homes).

Queen Creek is on the outer fringes of the eastern side and very nice. Slightly more lush than their contemporaries (Buckeye) and the shopping centers have lots of beautiful style and we liked it alot. However not knowing anyone on the east side of Phoenix is a "downer" for us.

However we have 2 autistic daughters and worry about the school districts in Western Phoenix. Apparently "blogs" and information on the web, state that Peoria and Mesa are the best for special education, but we'd like to know more. Anyone out there know more?

We also like Canyon Trails, and it's a "front-runner" in our potential home buying (for various reasons). Whoever planned that community did a great job with trails to walk your dog, really nice playgrounds and parks, etc etc.

Any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and one more thing... WHY ARE ALL THE HOMES TAN AND LIGHT BROWN???!?!?!? Do they not sell white, olive or other house paints in Arizona? What the heck???? I'd love to know the reason for that!

Have a great day and good luck to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area