Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:05 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,174,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert8414 View Post
Oh and one more thing... WHY ARE ALL THE HOMES TAN AND LIGHT BROWN???!?!?!? Do they not sell white, olive or other house paints in Arizona? What the heck???? I'd love to know the reason for that!

Have a great day and good luck to everyone!
LOL. Ask the HOA's this question. I do have a white house... pure white. It was the original color of the house and when I went to have it approved to paint it white again the HOA wasn't including it in their paint schemes last year. But they did as it was an original color. I love a clean white house. It stands out a lot as it's so bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:09 AM

307 posts, read 954,669 times
Default houses tan and brown

In the Phoenix area you can find either older homes (1930's to 1960's) that do not appear so "brown and tan".

OR

Try looking up a couple of new home communities named Marley Park (Surprise) and/or Verrado (Buckeye).

The place is full of housing style with shingle siding, red brick, Craftsman, etc.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,060,546 times
Quote:
However we have 2 autistic daughters and worry about the school districts in Western Phoenix. Apparently "blogs" and information on the web, state that Peoria and Mesa are the best for special education, but we'd like to know more. Anyone out there know more?
Sounds like you put some miles on the car checking out the different parts of the valley!

You might check out this site: Autism Support I have also heard that the Kyrene School District, Mesa and Gilbert all have very good special education programs.

BTW, the "fancy" name for the color of our homes is "muted desert tones!"

Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Oh and one more thing... WHY ARE ALL THE HOMES TAN AND LIGHT BROWN???!?!?!? Do they not sell white, olive or other house paints in Arizona? What the heck???? I'd love to know the reason for that!
Because that is what people want. There is no vast conspiracy among homebuilders to deprive us of the pink, yellow, and blue homes with vinyl siding we all crave. There were some "Victorian" houses with fishscale details and pastels built in Ahwatukee when I lived there and a number of subdivisions had blue tile roofs for a while too, but none of that ever caught on at all. Our tastes are, of course, influenced by what we are used to. Personally, I think midwest home styles and colors are unattractive and would look absurd in the desert environment and xeriscaped neighborhoods. I really like the varied earth tones, stone treatments and trim details of the newer homes.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 03-05-2008 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area