Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 AM

71 posts, read 211,303 times

Advertisements

What is the best Mexican restaurant in Scottsdale, with the best chips?

I know its a chain store but On the Borders at desert ridge was my absolute favorite Mexican Restaurant, its been closed now and I can't find much, X Tapa Joe's is now ym favorite but I am wondering if there is anything as good as on the border?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamadeh View Post

I know its a chain store but On the Borders at desert ridge was my absolute favorite Mexican Restaurant, its been closed now and I can't find much, X Tapa Joe's is now ym favorite but I am wondering if there is anything as good as on the border?

Thanks!
I always loved this place. They have one on Scottsdale Rd and Bell.

Carlos O'Brien's Mexican Restaurant - Phoenix & Scottsdale Arizona

Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
index

Hands down bext mexican food near old town.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamadeh View Post

Thanks!
Anyone know why they did close?
I think the one near Arrowhead mall is still open.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
With regard to Mexican food, don't knock Americanized Mexican food. It gets a bad rap but often Americanized Mexican food is better than authentic Mexican food. Americanized Mexican food often uses better quality cuts of meat, more cheese and just better preparation overall. I've eaten at all of the famous Mexican restaurants in the valley and I've learned to form my own opinion instead of relying on the hype machine.

I'm not saying Americanized Mexican food is always better but sometimes it can be. It's a separate cuisine and my family and I will say "Do you want Americanized Mexican food or the real thing tonight" and sometimes Americanized Mexican food is more comforting. Dos Gringos has great Mexican food. A food critic will dismiss it simply based on stereotypical notions (it's a bar aimed at the social scene) but its food is really good. Don Julios is good too. Nonetheless, I've learned to dismiss food critics in general because they have their own culture. Food critics are like a popular social clique in high school; they all are taught to like the same places and if a chef is famous then by definition, their food has to be good. They are not truly open minded and they are not truly just about the food, their opinons have to be acceptable to other food critics so they can't criticize certain restaurants nor can they praise restaurants that are not accepted by the clique (ie how many food critics will have the balls to admit or write that Pizzeria Bianco is hyped. They won't do it even though it's the truth). Nonetheless, this mob mentality isn't limited to food, it's in film as well. Ever notice one movie gets some notice and the rest of the year, all the other critics decide to jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-12-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
The economy.... On aol, I always see them on the list as one of the restaurant chains who are in trouble.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Because Phoenix has too many Mexican restaurant options. Places like On The Border are popular in places that don't really have a lot of options ie Little Rock, Arkansas. It's hilarious, go to an On the Border in a city not known for its Mexican food and the place is packed. In Phoenix, there are just too many places. I remember there was a popular Mexican chain in Texas here called Don Pablos. In Dallas, Don Pablos was always busy. It failed here. Another Texas chain failed here...Taco Cabana. They opened one on Camelback and it failed miserably but they are all over Texas.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,966 times
I never found a Mexican restaurant in Scottsdale that was better than a couple family run places on East McDowell in Phoenix. Rosita's Place at 2310 E McDowell and San Carlos Seafood Restaurant at 1901 E McDowell Road are two I would recommend. If you are interested in a restaurant that has good food and friendly service Yelp and google would have more info.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,782 times
Big fan of La Fonda Del Sol on Scottsdale/Shea.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
I live in Scottsdale and when I want a decent Mexican joint I live dangerously and go to Phoenix!....(but Julio's and Julio's Too are good)......Rosita's on McDowell, as mentioned, is a good dive.....Carolina's has three locations....I had a very good meal at Poncho's on Central, I think, somewhere down south of downtown....

good comments about Americanized Mexican food, azriverfan.....thanks.....I think we think of "Sonoran" Mexican food as classic Mexican...lots of other styles exist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area