Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:41 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,095,579 times

Advertisements

I s'pose, comparing the different start dates, that it all evens out anyway.

As far as work goes, I don't ever take my vacation all at once. It's always a day or three here and there. Plan around a holiday weekend, and voila!

I end up getting a week off.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applequist View Post
What I really don't get is why they close pools in July. Glad I have my own, sucks everyone who doesn't.
Budget cuts, period. Sad, but true.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,628,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Budget cuts, period. Sad, but true.
Pools are closing because of budget cuts where the voters can see it.

Schools can start earlier because of air conditioning. Think back to swamp coolers and you have a September school start.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:37 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
School has started in Atlanta, GA too. Weird.

Traditionally, we always started right after Labor Day (Michigan), but a few years ago they moved the first day of school to the week BEFORE Labor Day.

Some parents were ticked, as many folks plan their vacations around holidays.

Back there they have "snow days", and depending how much school they miss because of the weather will dictate when they finish the school year. I.e., they have to make up the missed days.

That way, the kids are guaranteed to be out in mid June.

I've noticed though that schools out here have several breaks throughout the year...maybe it's better this way.

Now that I'm not a kid anymore......I think they should go year 'round.
Not anymore YAZ. It might vary by district but my kids don't go back until September 7th I think.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
They start in August yes, but they also get out at the end of May vs at the end of June. Here, June is a hotter month then August typically, so it's better to have June off then August heat wise.
Statistically, August is a hotter month than June ... quite a bit hotter in fact. The average high temperature for June is 103.9 degrees, with a monthly average temperature of 89.8 degrees. For August, the average high is 104.5 degrees, with a monthly average of 93.0 degrees.
CLIMATE OF PHOENIX: PART 1

Besides, August feels more uncomfortable with the increased humidity. When there's a lack of a monsoon, August is just down right hot & miserable. At least June usually has a few breaks of somewhat more tolerable temperatures during the first half of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Schools in other parts of the country where the weather isn't so hot begin their schoolyear after Labor Day. Anybody in the know as to why they all begin here in early August?

It doesn't make sense and doesn't seem right to make children go back to school this early. August is a summer vacation month. Families like to break away right now and go places.

I'd imagine the August heat alone would be enough to want to delay the start of the schoolyear. School busses running around on the streets in the middle of summer seems so out of place.

Is it because parents and schoolboards voted to start so early or what?
I agree about the heat being enough of a reason to start after Labor Day ... however, keep in mind that September can be just as hot as August sometimes. It usually doesn't start cooling off noticeably until sometime in October.

Otherwise, what can I say? The public education system sucks, and it's not just in Phoenix! The best way to avoid the idiocy of the public system altogether is to bite the bullet and send your children to a better quality private school ... or else home school them on your own. That way, you can take as much vacation time as you desire, and allow your kids to attend school whenever you feel is appropriate.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,960 times
I absolutely LOVE it! I actually wish they'd go year-round. My kids are in a charter school. They get out end of May then start first week in Aug. One week out in October, Novermber, two weeks off for winter break, then another two weeks for spring break. I don't like the break schedules. My kids look forward to being in school. I mean with the summer heat, it gets really boring out here. Now if we lived back home in N.Cali I may think a little differently. We can actually enjoy the summers out there.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,022,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
I absolutely LOVE it! I actually wish they'd go year-round. My kids are in a charter school. They get out end of May then start first week in Aug. One week out in October, Novermber, two weeks off for winter break, then another two weeks for spring break. I don't like the break schedules. My kids look forward to being in school. I mean with the summer heat, it gets really boring out here. Now if we lived back home in N.Cali I may think a little differently. We can actually enjoy the summers out there.
I remember starting after labor day in most states I lived in. Doesn't really make a difference for kids and didn't for me. Start later, get out later...and the other way around. When other kids started you'd have a couple days or weeks to say, "ha ha!" But then the summer came and those kids started summer before and they had the last laugh...I don't think start dates has ANYTHING to do with school performance as even excelling, elite, and some very prestigious private K-12 schools start in August. I think Valley Native just prefers to have kids private schooled or home schooled to "alleviate" taxes for schools. However, public education systems are the bedrock and backbone of Western civilizations and western culture. This was the dramatic difference between Southern and Northern culture in the U.S. before the civil war. Often, Public Schools were the first buildings to be erected by U.S. settlers of Northern disposition in the westward expansion. In the past, Northern schools and way of teaching was considered superior to Southern school and to this day arguably still have that designation. Countries we compete against and whose schools are often considered superior like Japan and Western Europe have very well run and very competitive public education systems. We just need to focus on education and stop making excuses. But I've heard educators state that the school calendar is set up in such a way that alleviates planning headaches for holidays, educational/information retention, etc. But it's probably all just opinion on that front. If I was a kid I guess I'd be mad starting in early August since I'd still want to be swimming, going to water parks, planning a trip to the beach, mountains, etc so maybe it does make a difference to kids; I'll take that back, LOL.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:58 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
I don't have any children yet but I just feel bad for all the schoolkids that have to walk home or wait for busses out in this heat. August is too hot and too darn early imho to begin the schoolyear.

I lived in Michigan where the school system isn't any better than Arizona but at least they start after Labor Day. It just makes more sense.

August is a month envisioned as a time for fun, relaxation, and vacations. September has always been a traditional back-to-school month.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,022,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I don't have any children yet but I just feel bad for all the schoolkids that have to walk home or wait for busses out in this heat. August is too hot and too darn early imho to begin the schoolyear.

I lived in Michigan where the school system isn't any better than Arizona but at least they start after Labor Day. It just makes more sense.

August is a month envisioned as a time for fun, relaxation, and vacations. September has always been a traditional back-to-school month.
I don't think it matters that much to kids...waiting for a bus in August or in June at the other end. Plus much of the summer time activities in Arizona start to ramp up in April when its in the high 70's and 80's and in May when it is in the 80's and 90's...then...well you get the idea. Plenty of summer for the kids. Also, August is a longer month that is full of quite possibly the worst weather in Phoenix. Storms, rain, humidity so being in a classroom with friends, learning, etc is probably not such a bad thing. They have air conditioning in the schools, busses too! When I leave to work and come home, etc I see kids running and chasing each other outside be it August, November, February, or May...I was thinking about my statement of August summer activities and missing out...and think that was overstated so I take that back, LOL! I don't know I'm torn...LOL!

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-13-2009 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 PM

41 posts, read 131,550 times
I think they should go all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area