Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times

Advertisements

Schools in other parts of the country where the weather isn't so hot begin their schoolyear after Labor Day. Anybody in the know as to why they all begin here in early August?

It doesn't make sense and doesn't seem right to make children go back to school this early. August is a summer vacation month. Families like to break away right now and go places.

I'd imagine the August heat alone would be enough to want to delay the start of the schoolyear. School busses running around on the streets in the middle of summer seems so out of place.

Is it because parents and schoolboards voted to start so early or what?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
School calendars have evolved a lot here over the years. More and more of them gravitated to a similar schedule to that of ASU, August start, a true "spring break" and then ending in late May. Others have moved to a year round or modified year round schedule, with a shorter summer break and other breaks during the year. The trend has been toward shortening the summer break. Three full months is a long time-- I think the feeling was that the first part of each year was spent getting kids back up to speed after three months off. Still plenty of time for a summer vacation, IMO.

Yes, school boards set the calendars.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
School has started in Atlanta, GA too. Weird.

Traditionally, we always started right after Labor Day (Michigan), but a few years ago they moved the first day of school to the week BEFORE Labor Day.

Some parents were ticked, as many folks plan their vacations around holidays.

Back there they have "snow days", and depending how much school they miss because of the weather will dictate when they finish the school year. I.e., they have to make up the missed days.

That way, the kids are guaranteed to be out in mid June.

I've noticed though that schools out here have several breaks throughout the year...maybe it's better this way.

Now that I'm not a kid anymore......I think they should go year 'round.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
School calendars have evolved a lot here over the years. More and more of them gravitated to a similar schedule to that of ASU, August start, a true "spring break" and then ending in late May. Others have moved to a year round or modified year round schedule, with a shorter summer break and other breaks during the year. The trend has been toward shortening the summer break. Three full months is a long time-- I think the feeling was that the first part of each year was spent getting kids back up to speed after three months off. Still plenty of time for a summer vacation, IMO.

Yes, school boards set the calendars.
That makes sense.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:08 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
They start in August yes, but they also get out at the end of May vs at the end of June. Here, June is a hotter month then August typically, so it's better to have June off then August heat wise.

I think it would be better to have year round school with a 3 week break every few months instead of one long 3 month break in the summer. I think it would make the year go by much faster and there wouldn't have to be so much time spent on starting up up.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Schools in New Mexico and Colorado also start in August and end in May. I know that in southern NM, where I am, June is actually our hottest month, so, it makes sense for school to end before it gets really hot. As another poster noted, it also aligns the public school calender with the university calendar, so everyone gets vacation at the same time.

Coming from NY/NJ where school from Sept-late June is the norm, it took me a while to get used to, but, now I like it, especially the longer break over Christmas. And, June makes a perfectly good vacation month

Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Yeah back home in GA they just started school last Thursday which does seem kinda early. They started having school start the week before labor day back in 89 and slowly but surely just started the school a day earlier and it evolved from the last school year starting on Labor day (2nd grade for me) to Aug 6 (last year it was Aug 7) so they're still evolving.

I heard (so don't quote me) that the reason for this is because they want to reach the half way point before Christmas break. That way a new semester starts in January versus having to do mid terms or if the school has block scheduling, finals after Christmas break. This also does mirror most universities too. So I don't think it has anything to do with weather since almost all schools have air conditioning.

Honestly I think it's a good thing. The second half of the school can start fresh in January and if the school uses block scheduling then the new semester can start fresh as well. I know coming from a northern area its odd but really and truly the school is the same length since they get out of school earlier as well as start earlier. Growing up trips were just done in June and in college I usually took vacations the last week before school started in August or right after in May. I'm sure the kid moving south feels short changed while the kid moving north in the summer gets an extra month off.

Traffic in the DC area is lighter now so I'm loving it but will get heavier after Labor day when school starts. I don't have kids but still love school being out. Ten minutes has been cut off my commute this week. Let the kids play!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
Well, the full June, July, and August off in MN would make sense cuz that's the only half-decent weather we get here.

It seems to be that school ends in May and starts in August in many southern states, as well. I believe they do that in Florida too, at least where my cousins worked.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM

20 posts, read 58,310 times
What I really don't get is why they close pools in July. Glad I have my own, sucks everyone who doesn't.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 PM

45 posts, read 198,633 times
August is better than the surprise we got in the Florence School District in the Queen Creek area. We went to register our son for school and were shocked to find out he started July 20.

I have to agree though that I like the idea of him getting a few weeks off in Sep, 3 weeks off for Christmas, and then another few weeks of in spring. They get out sometime towards the end of May. I think he will be able to retain a little more information over the summer this way. Plus with the longer breaks throughout the year we, as a family, are given more time to visit places and people all through the year (Spring break, Summer break, Fall break, and then the Winter break).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area