Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,521,697 times

Advertisements

"Actually after the utility company rebates, State and Federal Rebates and tax credits, the cost was less than 20K."

That is my point. The solar system probably costs around 60k, but everyone else (who do not benefit from your system, btw) paid 40k of it for you (I deserve a big thank you, I can tell you that!). If everyone in Arizona decided to go solar and use these tax credits and rebates, the government would either go broke (paying 40k to everyone), significantly raise taxes, steal from our grandchildren (which is the most likely option) or stop the rebate/tax credit programs (unfortunately, that is the least likely option). It's not sustainable.
But as long as it is not used widespread, the taxpayers don't notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,359,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I've been "under" for a few billing cycles now. It is interesting that they adjust up at the drop of a hat, but adjust down only after a significant accumulation of your money in their account.
That has not been my experience with APS. They adjust every 6 months, if necessary and my payments have gone both up and down, depending on my usage.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"Actually after the utility company rebates, State and Federal Rebates and tax credits, the cost was less than 20K."

That is my point. The solar system probably costs around 60k, but everyone else (who do not benefit from your system, btw) paid 40k of it for you (I deserve a big thank you, I can tell you that!). If everyone in Arizona decided to go solar and use these tax credits and rebates, the government would either go broke (paying 40k to everyone), significantly raise taxes, steal from our grandchildren (which is the most likely option) or stop the rebate/tax credit programs (unfortunately, that is the least likely option). It's not sustainable.
But as long as it is not used widespread, the taxpayers don't notice.
Yet, we are encouraging alternatives to the "normal" or "regular" utilities.

In reality my system was closer to 75K to power our property. We have over 6,000 sq ft with the 2 a/c's, the pool, the barn and trainers quarters etc., etc., -

And, I'll thank you nonetheless - and everyone else. Of course, a lot of those rebates came from the Utility companies - not simply the state or fed rebates.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yet, we are encouraging alternatives to the "normal" or "regular" utilities.

In reality my system was closer to 75K to power our property. We have over 6,000 sq ft with the 2 a/c's, the pool, the barn and trainers quarters etc., etc., -

And, I'll thank you nonetheless - and everyone else. Of course, a lot of those rebates came from the Utility companies - not simply the state or fed rebates.
Very true...the utilities give the rebate for a break in their own accounting and taxing scheme, LOL! We aren't taking taxes from the system, especially from grandchildren and grandma's medical/social security to power-up solar installments. Also, the more we resist change and future technologies and alternative sources the more our grandchildren will have to pay for our disregard and fear of change in the form of ruined ecologies, environments, and added cost of future mass implementation rather than a sustainable gradual and consistent implementation.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 PM

"the more we resist change and future technologies and alternative sources the more our grandchildren will have to pay for our disregard and fear of change in the form of ruined ecologies, environments, and added cost of future mass implementation rather than a sustainable gradual and consistent implementation."

Yeah, clean coal sure is evil. (And those dam big oil companies and Republicans, too! They just want to destroy everything!)
Let's all hand over our wallets now, I certainly don't need the money I worked so hard for. Those who want to get off the power grid need it much more than I do. They are so deserving because they are just sooo green. (Good grief!)

Old 08-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
"the more we resist change and future technologies and alternative sources the more our grandchildren will have to pay for our disregard and fear of change in the form of ruined ecologies, environments, and added cost of future mass implementation rather than a sustainable gradual and consistent implementation."

Yeah, clean coal sure is evil. (And those dam big oil companies and Republicans, too! They just want to destroy everything!)
Let's all hand over our wallets now, I certainly don't need the money I worked so hard for. Those who want to get off the power grid need it much more than I do. They are so deserving because they are just sooo green. (Good grief!)

No such thing as "clean coal." the actual process is carbon capture...and all that captured waste has to go somewhere, and you guessed it, it goes back to polluting the earth. Also, the cost of a carbon capture plant is ASTRONOMICALLY high...one plant dwarfs the cost of a huge solar energy farm. As for green, it is all of our responsibilities and not just energy companies. Some sacrifice by us all for the good of everyone.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
Those who want to get off the power grid need it much more than I do. They are so deserving because they are just sooo green. (Good grief!)
Understand please, I am off the grid because there was no alternative.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM

About carbon capture: washingtonpost.com

It is not clean as it is disposed of via the earth. There is no expense, waste, harm, untested science that is comparable with solar to carbon capture.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM

It's nothing against you, Greatday. If someone offered me $50,000, I would not say no. I'm just saying the government can only give a very small portion of the population that kind of money (or redistribute that kind of money, I should say), or else they'll run out very quickly. Can you imagine if every Arizona household got a check for $50,000 from the government? We're talking over 50 trillion dollars!

fcorrales80 and I had this discussion on another thread. The conclusion I came to is that to fcorrales80, it is not about the environment or the economy, but about politics. fcorrales80 is a statist, and as long as that statist agenda can be inacted, well, the ends justify the means. fcorrales80 wasn't interested in learning and actual debate, and followed none of the links I posted and answered none of the questions I poised. I, on the other hand, followed every link (including the one posted above) and made an effort to answer all questions by fcorrales80. It was very one-sided.
So I decided not to debate fcorrales80 on this topic any further, because it is pointless.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
APS is a complete scam. My SRP bill with my house is over $100 cheaper than my APS bill with my former apartment. And I run my AC 5 degrees cooler with my house. And prior to that apartment in Glendale, I owned a home in Tempe with SRP and it too was considerably cheaper than that apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area