Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness; if I had to live back east, North Carolina would not be bad
Very true, I've heard nothing but good things about NC, though I haven't been there myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Very true, I've heard nothing but good things about NC, though I haven't been there myself.
Bible belt, segregation, halfbacks and hurricanes.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-22-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Actually: North Carolina is a lot more modern than many people realize.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,416 times
Quote:
Actually: North Carolina is a lot more modern than many people realize.
Yeah, I was going to say, segregation ended a long time ago, not to mention, I've seen places like Raleigh on Forbes lists for a while now. So it can't be that bad.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,816 times
Quote:
It is the south, having lived there as I was stationed in the military and so was my father, it isn't too friendly a place. Even the cities had an "air" of racial tension and prejudice. It wasn't a very comfortable place to live if you happen to not be white or white-enough.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
It is the south, having lived there as I was stationed in the military and so was my father, it isn't too friendly a place. Even the cities had an "air" of racial tension and prejudice. It wasn't a very comfortable place to live if you happen to not be white or white-enough.
That is both sad and interesting; I thought that most of that racial crap would have gone by the wayside in your lifetime--------especially for members of the military.

Years ago; during the Jim Crow era, some Anglo White kids of Italian, etc. heritage had to attend the 'Colored' schools since they had olive complexions. Flip side: some Japanese/Chinese children in certain states were counted as 'White' so Jim Crow did not apply to them. And of course; one vicious White supremacist of the Bull Connor variety/era would be Judge Leander Perez (Spanish background) in St Bernard Parish, La.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
That is both sad and interesting; I thought that most of that racial crap would have gone by the wayside in your lifetime--------especially for members of the military.

Years ago; during the Jim Crow era, some Anglo White kids of Italian, etc. heritage had to attend the 'Colored' schools since they had olive complexions. Flip side: some Japanese/Chinese children in certain states were counted as 'White' so Jim Crow did not apply to them. And of course; one vicious White supremacist of the Bull Connor variety/era would be Judge Leander Perez (Spanish background) in St Bernard Parish, La.
Oh bear, that is soooo naive... LOL! Sorry, but the south still isn't free of racial tension. Hell Detroit isn't free of racial tension. Remember Katrina and the fighting about it being a black city therefore the help came painfully slow...the "chocolate city" remark made by certain people because of this racial tension. Even L.A.! This city, despite putting out an image of racial equality, is a VERY segregated society much like Chicago and Philadelphia. This is what makes Phoenix much better. While there is some issues in Phoenix, mainly against hispanics, it is MUCH less an issue compared to other states and other cities...MUCH less. Usually the only thing in Phoenix is hispanics being profiled by the sheriff's department...LOL! I think that is the last bastion of segregation here. But the culture, the people, the attitude of the state and Phoenix metro is not one of segregation like other American cities. It is a weird dichotomy.

And as for the military issue, I didn't have my uniform on 24/7.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Yeah, I was going to say, segregation ended a long time ago, not to mention, I've seen places like Raleigh on Forbes lists for a while now. So it can't be that bad.
On what planet? Segregation is the norm in most cities of the US. In many places, particularly in the southern cities, people mix in the day at work, but come 5 pm they go home to their segregated neighborhoods. I know that many prefer it that way. I don't and I consider that a negative.

Race stuff has a totally different vibe here than in NC. People in Phoenix and the new west cities are segregated as well but typically only in one dimension - along economic lines. So there are rich, poor, and middle class areas but not separate rich (white, Asian, black, Hispanic, Jewish etc) ones, poor (white, Asian, black,Hispanic, Jewish etc) ones and so on.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
On what planet? Segregation is the norm in most cities of the US. In many places, particularly in the southern cities, people mix in the day at work, but come 5 pm they go home to their segregated neighborhoods. I know that many prefer it that way. I don't and I consider that a negative.

Race stuff has a totally different vibe here than in NC. People in Phoenix and the new west cities are segregated as well but typically only in one dimension - along economic lines. So there are rich, poor, and middle class areas but not separate rich (white, Asian, black, Hispanic, Jewish etc) ones, poor (white, Asian, black,Hispanic, Jewish etc) ones and so on.
This is true, but it isn't like there is going to be a million dollar mansion next to a $150,000 suburban cookie cutter house...but I do understand what you are saying as it is very true. However, the only difference would be in the urban areas. A 1 million dollar condo can be next to a nice apartment complex like Roosevelt with $1500/mth one bedroom apt, next to a restored historic apartment building with a quaint studio for $600 a month, next to a low income family in a historic home that has been in the family since the 20's etc. This is what I love about the central city areas, Tempe, etc. Very cool diversity and inclusion on all economic lines and every type of person you can think of...

Old 08-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
This is true, but it isn't like there is going to be a million dollar mansion next to a $150,000 suburban cookie cutter house...but I do understand what you are saying as it is very true. However, the only difference would be in the urban areas. A 1 million dollar condo can be next to a nice apartment complex like Roosevelt with $1500/mth one bedroom apt, next to a restored historic apartment building with a quaint studio for $600 a month, next to a low income family in a historic home that has been in the family since the 20's etc. This is what I love about the central city areas, Tempe, etc. Very cool diversity and inclusion on all economic lines and every type of person you can think of...
Good point. The urban areas do have more diversity of all kinds than the suburban ones do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area