Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 AM

13 posts, read 41,050 times

Advertisements

Hi All...just looking for some advice. I am a 29y/o female, born in raised in monmouth county NJ. I have been offered a promotion with my company and given the choice to stay in NJ or move to our Arizona office. Same pay for both offices, but drastically different cost of livings. I am in a long term relationship with my boyfriend who is 30 and is ready to get of NJ. I am confused and not sure what to pick. What would you do? My bf was recently laid off from his work, but can return to his job in 3-4 months. On another not, my brother is thinking of moving to Gilbert, AZ with his GF so, I would have family there. But I would leave a large closeknit family in NJ. I flip flop choices everyday and just looking for some suggestions. I need to make a final decision soon!

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
There's a lot of factors that we just can't answer. Is your boyfriend getting called back to a good career, or just a job? Is he in a field that he can easily find work anywhere? Do you like living in New Jersey and have a lot of family back there?

You are right about the cost of living. The property taxes alone in NJ make it almost cost prohibitive to own a home there. In Chandler/Gilbert, you can find a newer built 2,000 SF home with a pool for under 250K with no problem, and the taxes are low.

For me, it would be a no brainer, but I don't care for New Jersey at all. I would see if your company would pay to fly you out here for a few days and see if this is a place where you want to live. It seems to make financial sense, but that doesn't mean you will be happier. (you probably will )

Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
You're young ,AZ has no water now,will be a collection of ghost town 40 years from now.

Hard times in the USA are just beginning, FAMILY overides every other consideration !

Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
You're young ,AZ has no water now,will be a collection of ghost town 40 years from now.

Hard times in the USA are just beginning, FAMILY overides every other consideration !
My, gloom and doom.

I would echo some of the things asufan said. You are young, and this may be (if everything else, including job opportunities for BF, makes sense) the opportunity for something new. Family is important, but they would love coming and visiting you here, too, especially in winter, should you decide to move.

I would NOT make the move without actually coming and looking first-- it's a very different place than NJ.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
My, gloom and doom.

I would echo some of the things asufan said. You are young, and this may be (if everything else, including job opportunities for BF, makes sense) the opportunity for something new. Family is important, but they would love coming and visiting you here, too, especially in winter, should you decide to move.

I would NOT make the move without actually coming and looking first-- it's a very different place than NJ.
I realize realism is verboten in american culture, but nature bats last.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:44 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg716 View Post
Hi All...just looking for some advice. I am a 29y/o female, born in raised in monmouth county NJ. I have been offered a promotion with my company and given the choice to stay in NJ or move to our Arizona office. Same pay for both offices, but drastically different cost of livings. I am in a long term relationship with my boyfriend who is 30 and is ready to get of NJ. I am confused and not sure what to pick. What would you do? My bf was recently laid off from his work, but can return to his job in 3-4 months. On another not, my brother is thinking of moving to Gilbert, AZ with his GF so, I would have family there. But I would leave a large closeknit family in NJ. I flip flop choices everyday and just looking for some suggestions. I need to make a final decision soon!

Thanks in Advance!
Nobody on a message board can tell you what to do. Look at your situation and do the best thing for you and your family.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
I realize realism is verboten in american culture, but nature bats last.
Of course there are problems here, (and realism is not "verboten") but to say we have NO WATER now and will be full of ghost towns in 40 years, and that the OP should not move here because of that, is, IMO, extreme. Who says how long she or anyone else might choose to live here? She is young, as you stated. All sorts of things change, including family relationships, for that matter.

Glancing through some of your other posts, it doesn't appear that you live here. (or ever did?) If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected.

As has already been said, the OP just needs to weigh the pros and cons, some of which she has already told us about, and do what is best for her and hers. We can give some suggestions, but no one here can put themselves in her shoes and tell her what we would do.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Of course there are problems here, (and realism is not "verboten") but to say we have NO WATER now and will be full of ghost towns in 40 years, and that the OP should not move here because of that, is, IMO, extreme. Who says how long she or anyone else might choose to live here? She is young, as you stated. All sorts of things change, including family relationships, for that matter.

Glancing through some of your other posts, it doesn't appear that you live here. (or ever did?) If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected.

As has already been said, the OP just needs to weigh the pros and cons, some of which she has already told us about, and do what is best for her and hers. We can give some suggestions, but no one here can put themselves in her shoes and tell her what we would do.

No I dont live there, but I can read,when the Colorado no longer reaches the sea and it becomes obvious the entire SW is in what may well be a permanent drought, to encourage anyone to move there is just plain wrong.
Forty years was being kind,twenty probaly more like it.
But fine, you just dream on.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
No I dont live there, but I can read,when the Colorado no longer reaches the sea and it becomes obvious the entire SW is in what may well be a permanent drought, to encourage anyone to move there is just plain wrong.
Forty years was being kind,twenty probaly more like it.
But fine, you just dream on.

California and Nevada are the states that may be in trouble eventually, because AZ has such a large claim to the Colorado River water relative to those two states. Both states have tried to get AZ to give up some of their rights to no avail, and they never will get a larger share from AZ.

I know you are probably an environmentalist, but arm yourself with a few facts before you start pushing your agenda. Sure, if a drought keeps up for 25 years, there may be some issues, but the way we have gone to conserving water lately with low water use toilets/fixtures, xeriscaping and education, etc. we are going to be in better shape than you expect.

Water is not even an issue to consider when thinking of moving to AZ at this point.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:10 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot
No I dont live there
How entirely irresponsible of you.

I've been reading for years that California is going to have a major earthquake and half of it will fall into the sea. Ain't happened yet.

Apples an oranges? Maybe. Kinda like commenting on a region that you are unfamiliar with, making bold statements based on what--something you read on the internet? C'mon now.

------------

To the OP, I agree with an earlier poster--you should take time to visit AZ, the areas you would live in if you get transferred. Check out the community, the climate, the housing market. See how you feel about it compared to where you live now. Nobody can make up your mind for you, you have to do your own soul searching and reach a decision. What is most important to you? Do you like NJ? Do you want to move and get a fresh perspective in a new area, break away from what you're doing now? Or do you want to stay close to family, if that's important to you? Nobody can answer these things--you have to weigh all the factors and come up with your own decision. It's your life you're talking about, only you can make the best informed decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area