Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,985,527 times

Advertisements

Keep the AC set on AUTO and at 90 degrees, that will be fine, nothing will get damaged at 90 degrees.

Bring the patio furniture in to protect it from both the sun and the high winds during the summer monsoon storms.

Also, where in downtown did you buy? I love hearing about people investing in downtown Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:26 PM

29 posts, read 137,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Keep the AC set on AUTO and at 90 degrees, that will be fine, nothing will get damaged at 90 degrees.

Bring the patio furniture in to protect it from both the sun and the high winds during the summer monsoon storms.

Also, where in downtown did you buy? I love hearing about people investing in downtown Phoenix.
Just wondering what might get damaged if the AC was left off? Electronics, paintings, toilet and p-trap water evaporating allowing odor and bugs in?
I left for a month one summer with the AC off and nothing major happened... a few candles melted and a couple of aerosol cans expanded but still worked. These were minor problems considering how expensive it could be to cool a home in the summer months... even with the AC set to 90.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM

845 posts, read 2,333,570 times
Seems like you could fill the toilet bowl all the way to the rim and take care of that. You might be a little better insulated in a condo. I've heard some horror stories about electronic equipment; a good reason NOT to buy a 1500 dollar TV.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM

135 posts, read 544,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmpls View Post
I have become savvy about home ownership in the frozen tundra of Minnesota. But, now I need to learn about maintaining an AZ home.
I bought a 2br/2ba 4th floor condo in DT Phoenix and need some tips:

First, a curiosity, why do real estate listings say "preferred North/South exposure. Is it due to not getting direct westerly sun?

Second, do I need to run my Air conditioning if I leave the home closed all summer (yes, I am a snowbird, wanted to avoid this revelation if I could, but, I can't, so I won't). It is on the top floor, and has only North/South Exposure.

If I do need to leave my A/C on, any suggested temp? I don't want the place habitable, just don't want to damage anything. What COULD the heat damage?

Would you recommend moving patio furniture indoors for the summer? What patio furniture materials hold up best in the hot sun? ( wicker?, steel?, aluminum?)

Are there any other "must know" tips about maintaining a condo in a hot climate.

THIS is REALLY naive probably, but, is there a negative feeling about "snow-birders". I sorta felt there may be when I talked to folks in Phoenix about my winter plans.

Many thanks!!!! Your input would be valuable

Suggest you find out if your building has maintenance team that can check on your condo when you're out of town...might have to pay a fee for it, but they can and will look after it for you. That team might also open the condo just before you're ready to return to it for the winter months.

Since you said it is on the top floor, I don't recommend shutting off AC, but, yes keep it set at a higher setting. Check with local electric provider for plan that will fit your needs for service through the summer months while you're away.

Would also suggest investing in window coverings to assist with keeping heat to a minimum inside the unit. Good luck and welcome to Phoenix.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:11 AM

34 posts, read 89,373 times
Lol, you all are scaring me now!!!
I hope you don't mind if I keep asking questions? Per Phoenix (City) law, may I grill on my concrete balcony? I will check my condo rules too, but don't want to buy a grill if it is unlawful.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,803,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmpls View Post
Lol, you all are scaring me now!!!
I hope you don't mind if I keep asking questions? Per Phoenix (City) law, may I grill on my concrete balcony? I will check my condo rules too, but don't want to buy a grill if it is unlawful.
Don't be scared, DD

Primarily for "peace of mind" while you are enjoying the lovely Summer Weather in Minneapolis, here are my suggestions . . .

Remove any portable items from the balcony to protect them from wind gusts, dust and sun damage.

Air Conditioning is not necessary and a waste of energy as long as you take basic precautions such as removing candles, etc.

As for window coverings . . . due to the dry climate, "faux wood" blinds and shutters perform better than real wood. Also, nowadays it is tough to distinguish the difference.

Disconnecting as many electrical appliances (setting refrigerator to vacation or disconnect with door open) and shutting off as many water valves (toilets and under sink) as possible will tend to reduce and/or eliminate possible negatives.

As for Balcony Grilling . . . check your CC&Rs or with your HOA.

WELCOME TO ARIZONA and GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area