Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
A lot of people just dont want to drive that fast. Have you ever tried driving the post speed limit in the far left lane? You can be going 10 mph over the limit and still driver's run up your rear and almost bump you riding so close to your rear end. It just isn't worth the anxiety. Better to relax and blend in with normal traffic going a reasonable speed. Not everyone is in a rush to get where they are going 5 minutes sooner.
It took me a long time to understand that. Some folks are perfectly happy rolling along in the jam gabbing away with their partner. Weird, eh?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It took me a long time to understand that. Some folks are perfectly happy rolling along in the jam gabbing away with their partner. Weird, eh?
Or maybe their exit is coming up.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 AM

28 posts, read 112,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvalley View Post
I have seen quite a few single drivers in the HOV lane on I-10 everyday, particularly this month when I-10 seems to get more crowded. Is the law enforced or it's okay to use HOV during rush hours if you are a single driver? Most of the time, it seems the police ignore this or pretend not to see it. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks.

i see people pulled over almost every single day for this. It's heavily enforced on 10 and 101N. yesterday there were 3 bike cops on it.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
It is one of the great pleasures to witness someone getting pulled over for this, because yes it is one bigass fine. I've seen where a DPS car will actually get in front of a taller truck in the lane next to it, they usually only have to wait about two minutes to catch someone going by who can't see them there.

Funniest is when someone sees the cop and makes some feeble effort to get back into the regular lanes, even though they've obviously been spotted. They pull into regular lane and try to look nonchalant, cop slowly pulls in behind them, pretty blue & red lights come on, everyone else around gets satisfied smile on their face.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
What would be even more satisfying is if they turned the HOV lanes into regular traffic lanes. Very few people choose to carpool because they get the privilege of using the HOV lane. That's just a side benefit. However, for everyone else, they lose a traffic lane just when it's needed most. Carpool lanes actually contribute to traffic congestion.
But it makes us appear to be more eco-friendly and cosmopolitan.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
What would be even more satisfying is if they turned the HOV lanes into regular traffic lanes. Very few people choose to carpool because they get the privilege of using the HOV lane. That's just a side benefit. However, for everyone else, they lose a traffic lane just when it's needed most. Carpool lanes actually contribute to traffic congestion.
That's because it offers little time savings. It is nearly as congested as the others and there is no way to pass. If they really wanted to make it work, it would be the other way around. One lane on the right for solo and the rest of the freeway for carpoolers.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
This is true because HOV lanes are oten free of traffic during rush hour commute times due to so many single occupant vehicles on the freeways. As a result, the remaining lanes are congested, and the HOV lanes are empty. That makes no sense, but that's ADOT for you! Then again, maybe it was intended that way so the carpoolers, motorcycles, and buses would get a "fast lane" during the heavier drive times.

I don't care much for the current method of HOV restricted lanes ... however, I wouldn't mind experimenting with HOT lanes like they are doing near San Diego. From what I understand, they are still restricted lanes, but solo drivers would pay a toll for using them. You know, that actually might work ... and could even make a small dent in the budget deficit if enough people use them!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This is true because HOV lanes are oten free of traffic during rush hour commute times due to so many single occupant vehicles on the freeways. As a result, the remaining lanes are congested, and the HOV lanes are empty. That makes no sense, but that's ADOT for you! Then again, maybe it was intended that way so the carpoolers, motorcycles, and buses would get a "fast lane" during the heavier drive times.

I don't care much for the current method of HOV restricted lanes ... however, I wouldn't mind experimenting with HOT lanes like they are doing near San Diego. From what I understand, they are still restricted lanes, but solo drivers would pay a toll for using them. You know, that actually might work ... and could even make a small dent in the budget deficit if enough people use them!
Ah, but HOT lanes are not "green"....

Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 AM

106 posts, read 361,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

They do this in Minneapolis- sell passes for the HOV. It works pretty well! I'd pay!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
A lot of people just dont want to drive that fast. Have you ever tried driving the post speed limit in the far left lane? You can be going 10 mph over the limit and still driver's run up your rear and almost bump you riding so close to your rear end. It just isn't worth the anxiety. Better to relax and blend in with normal traffic going a reasonable speed. Not everyone is in a rush to get where they are going 5 minutes sooner.
The context of this discussion is rush hour not non-rush hour traffic. The only reason someone would consider cheating to use the HOV is during rush hour when the regular lanes are jammed with traffic. During rush hour, the HOV lane is less congested than normal traffic but it doesn't allow you to drive 10 over. So going back to what he said, it doesn't make much sense why people would prefer to sit for an hour in bumper to bumper traffic rather than drive in the HOV lane unless their exit was near. However, as he said, a lot of people still sit in traffic instead of taking the HOV lane even when their exit isn't near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area