Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM

56 posts, read 236,650 times

Advertisements

I am in East Mesa at around 1300ft. I am looking for a higher elevation city that might get a bit of wintry weather closest to me. I know flagstaff, payson, etc gets snow occasionally but wondering if there is anything closer.
I know Globe is around 3600ft so I guess it's possible it could snow there and that is only 50 miles away.

I don't care if the snow sticks or not, just want a short drive to see some wintry type weather this winter. I am not a sun person.. I miss cloudy days and rain. I need a short escape.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 AM

643 posts, read 1,393,757 times
Superior occasionally gets snow but miami-globe areas a safer bet . I've done work in Globe when their was a TON of snow outside

Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
I'd head to Payson right up the Beeline from Mesa (highway 87) about an hour or a little more....new divided four-lane road all the way....more snow chance than Globe and will stay around longer when you hear it's snowed up there

Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 PM

If you decide Payson and are in East Mesa Do not waste time going all the way to country club(which becomes Beeline). If you are close to Power than take it north. Power becomes Bush Highway than merges with the beeline. If you are close to Ellsworth take it north and it meets the bush highway by lake saguaro. These routes will save you about 45 minutes. Paysons only maybe 20 minutes farther than Globe and is a very pretty little town.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Snow in Globe is possible, but not nearly as likely as Payson. Snow levels below 4000 feet are not very common here.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,002 times
Why go to Globe when Flagstaff should be close enough and quick enough to get to (I-17 is fast). Go for the gusto! I've done Flagstaff on day trips lots of times from Phoenix. Went up to see the snow. Was very beautiful fun to go with my sister, her BF and my sister's dog. It was snowing on us at times as we got out and about downtown Flagstaff.

What a beautiful state Arizona is eh?

Last edited by Howard Roark; 11-30-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Between Superior and Miami is your best bet. Some of the roads off of US 60 will lead you to elevations of more than 5000 feet.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Superior occasionally gets snow but miami-globe areas a safer bet . I've done work in Globe when their was a TON of snow outside
Interesting about Superior and snow: it is definitely warm enough in the winter to support both bougainvillea as well as citrus-----------outdoors.

And in Central Heights (between Globe and Miami) there is an older house almost directly behind the Tri-City fire station that has what appears to be an orange tree next to it

Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Interesting about Superior and snow: it is definitely warm enough in the winter to support both bougainvillea as well as citrus-----------outdoors.

And in Central Heights (between Globe and Miami) there is an older house almost directly behind the Tri-City fire station that has what appears to be an orange tree next to it
I've seen snow in Superior, Miami and Globe with my own eyes
https://www.city-data.com/city/Superior-Arizona.html As you can see here superior doesn't get a lot of snow but it does occasionally snow. It snows a little more than tucson and you guys all know that Tucson snows right?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Flag and Pine (above Payson) are the only sure bet for snow. I live in Chandler and I am always trying to find some snow really quick but it melts by the time you get up there unless you just make the haul to Flag or Pine and up, like Showlow or something. For us out South here it takes about 3 to 4 hours to get up to Flag and more in the winter due to snow so plan a weekend, it's hardly worth a day trip. It takes a good hour just to get over to the Northwest part of Phoenix first and then on up. Payson is closer but your lucky if it sticks for very long, need to go up passed it to Pine or Strawberry.

Mt Lemon is about 3 hrs and 12min. away from Chandler, a little closer than Flag from this side of Phoenix and gets a lot of snow. Go to maps.google and put in your address and Mt Lemon to get the map. I find it to be a little easier to get there, less crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area