Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,428,065 times

Advertisements

Have you been East of 7th St? The area is not at all what you describe, and it th exact opposite of an artsy/professional enclave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM

687 posts, read 1,948,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Have you been East of 7th St? The area is not at all what you describe, and it th exact opposite of an artsy/professional enclave.
I would actually think west of 7th St would be a lot worse. There a lots of artists and professionals in the area, and there are some very nice homes east of 12th with values well above the median.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
I would actually think west of 7th St would be a lot worse. There a lots of artists and professionals in the area, and there are some very nice homes east of 12th with values well above the median.
That's what I was referring to about the homes in the hills east of 12th Street. They're nothing fancy like the mountain estates on Camelback Mountain, etc., but they're definitely more pricey than the other parts of Sunnyslope west of 12th.

Crime and other miscreant activity will happen in all neighborhoods at one time or another. Generally speaking, I've never known Sunnyslope to have a serious crime issue ... certainly not the best area to live in, but it's nothing like Maryvale or other sections on the south or west side.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 AM

402 posts, read 1,530,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sunnyslope in general is not a desirable section of Phoenix ... never really has been. I would have to agree, however, that the eastern part up toward the hills is a little less seedy than the western side around 7th Street or so.

Still, I would hesitate to call Sunnyslope a ghetto because it's really not as gang infested or crime ridden as somewhere like Maryvale. It's really more of a lower income area. I remember that there used to be quite a few Amish types who lived in Sunnyslope at one time. Never could understand the reasoning behind that, but I don't think it's heavily Amish like it used to be.
There's a Mennonite Church on 7th st just north of Mt. View. I used to live in the apts across 7th st. Very nice people. Like you said, not many left in the neigborhood.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 AM

725 posts, read 2,324,728 times
Never heard of 'East Sunnyslope', I thought there was just 1 Sunnyslope section.

Guess I'll have to check out this better part if there are Hillside homes that are kept up better than the rest of the area!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 10,131 times
I have lived in Sunnyslope since 2000 near 12th Street/Hatcher area I have been robed at least 3 times, gunfight at Norton Park 3 years ago, meth head prostitutes hang out at Carls Jr, and last night some gang memebers drove eratically around the streets, waving their guns at people, knocked down street signs until their car stalled at which point they fled by foot, I would have moved years ago but market was to pricey and now house worth less than what I paid for it. I moved to Sunnyslope for big yard, nice view, short commute, the High School may be excelling but my children do not go to the horrible elementary schools I take them out of district to Madison School District, you should consider area south of Northern East of 7th Ave at least you will be in a good school district and have higher resale value of your home. Royal Palm area (Northern-Dunlap/7th Ave-19th Ave) is a nice area with horses, big yards and less rental properties the biggest problem w/Sunnyslope is the high number of slumlord trashy rental properties that attract trashy people..

Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGenAZ View Post
I have lived in Sunnyslope since 2000 near 12th Street/Hatcher area I have been robed at least 3 times, gunfight at Norton Park 3 years ago, meth head prostitutes hang out at Carls Jr, and last night some gang memebers drove eratically around the streets, waving their guns at people, knocked down street signs until their car stalled at which point they fled by foot, I would have moved years ago but market was to pricey and now house worth less than what I paid for it. I moved to Sunnyslope for big yard, nice view, short commute, the High School may be excelling but my children do not go to the horrible elementary schools I take them out of district to Madison School District, you should consider area south of Northern East of 7th Ave at least you will be in a good school district and have higher resale value of your home. Royal Palm area (Northern-Dunlap/7th Ave-19th Ave) is a nice area with horses, big yards and less rental properties the biggest problem w/Sunnyslope is the high number of slumlord trashy rental properties that attract trashy people..
It's too bad Sunnyslope has been allowed to be overrun with those kinds of thugs. It used to be a rather quaint section of Phoenix ... but it always has been a lower income area. Your last statement about trashy areas attracting trashy people is 100% correct, and applies to any area of any city or town. Cheap housing tends to attract cheaper people, just like the more expensive areas bring in the more affluent crowd who are more willing to keep up their property & set better examples.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:46 PM

10 posts, read 24,561 times
I moved from Sunnyslope in 1994, lots and lots of drugs there, homeless people, lifeless people. I didn't notice a bunch of violent crime or anything, just LOTS of drug addicts. I went for a visit around 7 years later and noticed that some drug infested apartments and trailer parks had been leveled, seemed more quiet. Never would want to move back.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,487,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizzi View Post
I moved from Sunnyslope in 1994, lots and lots of drugs there, homeless people, lifeless people. I didn't notice a bunch of violent crime or anything, just LOTS of drug addicts. I went for a visit around 7 years later and noticed that some drug infested apartments and trailer parks had been leveled, seemed more quiet. Never would want to move back.
So you lived there 16 yrs ago and briefly visited 9 years ago?.........No offence, I would much rather live there there then in the subs. The schools just North and South of there are rated 9-10....Not to sure of the schools in sunnyslope proper.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:48 AM

46 posts, read 116,873 times
It could be said that I live in East Sunnyslope. It's probably a little better than the rest of Sunnyslope but not that much. There are a few homeless and questionable people around here. I'm sharing a rental house with a buddy of mine and hope to be in my own apartment or condo soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area