Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizzi View Post
I moved from Sunnyslope in 1994, lots and lots of drugs there, homeless people, lifeless people. I didn't notice a bunch of violent crime or anything, just LOTS of drug addicts. I went for a visit around 7 years later and noticed that some drug infested apartments and trailer parks had been leveled, seemed more quiet. Never would want to move back.
At least some of the bad places in Sunnyslope have been torn down, that might be due to the city ordinance violations.

It does sound like the area has improved some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 22,114 times
I moved to the Sunnyslope area origanally seven years ago from Chicago. It was cheap and quiet. We had to leave but made it back to Phoenix (to stay) last month. We are back in Sunnyslope, it's still cheap, it's still quiet, my kids love their schools, the views are beautiful. You have to actually know what a ghetto is to appreciate that Sunnyslope is not a ghetto. The homeless people and druggies are on the main streets, but that has been the case in EVERY neighborhood that I've been through in Phoenix. Yes, some of the people have lower incomes but there are very decent rentals and homes in this area and people with lower incomes deserve that, too. I hope it stays slept on until I can get my money right and start buying up stuff

Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM

537 posts, read 1,547,355 times
I am a native Phoenician of 61 years. I don't remember the tents that housed the TB patients on the hillside, but I remember what a dim view my parents took of that area. It always had the image of being rough and scruffy. Low class. I have a young attorney friend that bought and remodeled a McMansion againt the mountain at the end of a cul-de-sac east of 12th. St. El Camino or Caminito? The whole block is a crap hole with his house at the end. I'd be a little concerned about buzzing down that street in my convertible to go to the big party house at the end. At this stage in my life I try to keep a lower profile. There used to be areas in the foothills (beyond the crappy trailer parks) that looked like areas the Charles Manson family would choose. Phoenix is dicey all over. I would look for something in Scottsdale, Tempe or maybe Ahwatukee with a strong HOA. A Beaver Cleaver neighborhood with people at the neighborhood grocery stores that I could relate to and communicate with. I am so sick of Phoenix. I hate it here.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 AM

537 posts, read 1,547,355 times
I forgot one thing. The zip code 85020 is one of the premiere addresses for scorpions. Talk about painful! Yow!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:28 AM

46 posts, read 116,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
I am a native Phoenician of 61 years. I don't remember the tents that housed the TB patients on the hillside, but I remember what a dim view my parents took of that area. It always had the image of being rough and scruffy. Low class. I have a young attorney friend that bought and remodeled a McMansion againt the mountain at the end of a cul-de-sac east of 12th. St. El Camino or Caminito? The whole block is a crap hole with his house at the end. I'd be a little concerned about buzzing down that street in my convertible to go to the big party house at the end. At this stage in my life I try to keep a lower profile. There used to be areas in the foothills (beyond the crappy trailer parks) that looked like areas the Charles Manson family would choose. Phoenix is dicey all over. I would look for something in Scottsdale, Tempe or maybe Ahwatukee with a strong HOA. A Beaver Cleaver neighborhood with people at the neighborhood grocery stores that I could relate to and communicate with. I am so sick of Phoenix. I hate it here.
Sunnyslope isn't a high-end part of Phoenix, no question about that, but it isn't as bad as you describe it. The area near 7th and Dunlap has lots of authentic mom-pop businesses and it's a good ethnic mix. Also if you're so sick of it and hate it here why don't you move out? You sound like you aren't hurting for money so I can't believe you would be stuck here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area