Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Regarding the heat taking a toll on your body, I think you adapt. I'm 35 years old, and I routinely go out in the middle of the day during summer when it's 110 and play basketball for an hour. I just take breaks and drink 2 16oz bottles during that time. I also go running for 3 miles in the morning when it is sometimes in the 90's in the summer. Again, if you drink water you are fine. I think it just became second nature for me to always have bottled water on me. I get thrown off when I go somewhere that I can't take my water, like a movie, because I don't drink soda, tea or coffee.

But people react differently. When I'm in the humidity, even if it's in the mid 80's, I feel very uncomfortable. It's not because of the heat, but rather I feel like I am always gasping for air. If you aren't acclimated to the weather, it can take it's toll. Because your sweat evaporates so fast in PHX, you feel like you aren't sweating, and don't drink enough water. If you stay hydrated and wear sunscreen when you're outside for a while, it's no problem.
Getting acclimated to the Phoenix heat is only part of it. I was born & raised in Phoenix, and used to love the heat when I was younger. I would be out doing yard work and playing in 100+ degree temps, and it was no problem. As a person gets older, extreme heat (or extreme cold for that matter) becomes harder on a body. This is especially true when health issues set in. For me, it was the onset of Diabetes that caused me to be much less tolerant to our heat. During the peak of the summer, if I'm outside for just five or ten minutes, it can be unbearable.

As you said, people react differently. Not everybody enjoys the seemingly endless sunny days or the blast furnace summer heat. Some of us reside for other reasons which we consider more important than weather/climate. With over 4 million people living in the metro area, it's pretty safe to say that not everybody is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 03:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
As far as skin cancer, yes, if you are pale skinned, you need to wear sunscreen. At the very least you'll have a bad burn, but skin cancer is huge in AZ, so you need to take precautions.

Regarding the heat taking a toll on your body, I think you adapt. I'm 35 years old, and I routinely go out in the middle of the day during summer when it's 110 and play basketball for an hour. I just take breaks and drink 2 16oz bottles during that time. I also go running for 3 miles in the morning when it is sometimes in the 90's in the summer. Again, if you drink water you are fine. I think it just became second nature for me to always have bottled water on me. I get thrown off when I go somewhere that I can't take my water, like a movie, because I don't drink soda, tea or coffee.

But people react differently. When I'm in the humidity, even if it's in the mid 80's, I feel very uncomfortable. It's not because of the heat, but rather I feel like I am always gasping for air. If you aren't acclimated to the weather, it can take it's toll. Because your sweat evaporates so fast in PHX, you feel like you aren't sweating, and don't drink enough water. If you stay hydrated and wear sunscreen when you're outside for a while, it's no problem.
I am quite pale as well: although; apparently folks like me who are exposed to the sun (within reason) year round seem to have less problems with skin cancer vs. back east since they are covered up for months on end and are hit full on come summer.

Note too that I already received three severe sunburns in the Wash DC area when I was a kid so I am already at high risk for skin cancer. Needless to say: I do not stay in direct sun any more than I have to.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
thats it--- reverse the aging--- move back to chicago. it dropped down to 40F last night, i had to put on my wool hawaiian shirt i can get rid of all that back in chicago excellent idea. im packing. oh to think about it that crispy walk late at night off the green line near cisero south side my old neighborhood its guna be just like heaven.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
It is false thinking...I have gotten tanned without trying, going to water my plants, feed animals, just out under the awning to smoke and not even in the sun for long periods of time....how much tan can your body take year after year without aging? Peg is right about drinking water which also helps keep your skin hydrated and 'plumpier'....
Granny brings up a very good point here! I have been burned in a short amount of time without trying. You can get burnt through the windshield of your car on a short drive. I dont realize it right away but when my face feels hot later in the day I notice I'm red as a lobster.

Other times, I have left the car window open for short runs and propped an elbow on the window, only to notice later my left arm is burnt to a crisp while the other side is still pale.

So yes, you may have to apply sunscreen as a daily ritual if you want to preserve your skin. Small events outdoors on most days will leave you exposed to more heat and UV rays than is probably advisable. For the most part, the drying effect is the culprit.

Haven't you ever seen those poor 30 years old in the middle east that look 80? We're about the same climate. Talk about haggard??

Old 12-05-2009, 03:27 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
thats it--- reverse the aging--- move back to chicago. it dropped down to 40F last night, i had to put on my wool hawaiian shirt i can get rid of all that back in chicago excellent idea. im packing. oh to think about it that crispy walk late at night off the green line near cisero south side my old neighborhood its guna be just like heaven.
Only 40?? It was 28 at my house overnight.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Here's a photo of my 23 year old neighbor in Peoria, AZ that doesnt believe in sunscreen

Old 12-05-2009, 03:36 PM

124 posts, read 249,868 times
Default cold sucks

I am 40 do hvac and I love it except for 3 months . I find that the cold kills me . Grew up in the midwest and the rain makes me depressed cold and seem to be pissed off all the time and drink more back there. I also ate alot more there nothing better to do..

Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
When I lived elsewhere and visited here, my lips got chapped very quickly. Now that I live here, that doesn't happen. I really don't notice dry skin but I do hate the static electricity when it's really dry. I think the only consideration that needs to be made is for sensible protection from the constant sun, but then, I'm not a fan of anything pharmaceutical. I don't think the sun causes cancer, I mean, humans have existed for millions of years, why would the sun cause cancer now? Why did skin cancer rates go up after the introduction of sunscreen? I wear long sleeves and long pants year round. I don't have to flirt with being naked to tolerate the heat. I do just fine.

Today is cloudy and cold. We probably won't even hit 60. This is depressing, which is probably the second consideration: you get used to the sunshine and when it's cloudy, it can ruin your mood. I couldn't stand Seattle's weather and I hated it in the Midwest. Whatever toll the heat takes, I'll deal with it over those alternatives!

Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
When I lived elsewhere and visited here, my lips got chapped very quickly. Now that I live here, that doesn't happen. I really don't notice dry skin but I do hate the static electricity when it's really dry. I think the only consideration that needs to be made is for sensible protection from the constant sun, but then, I'm not a fan of anything pharmaceutical. I don't think the sun causes cancer, I mean, humans have existed for millions of years, why would the sun cause cancer now? Why did skin cancer rates go up after the introduction of sunscreen? I wear long sleeves and long pants year round. I don't have to flirt with being naked to tolerate the heat. I do just fine.

Today is cloudy and cold. We probably won't even hit 60. This is depressing, which is probably the second consideration: you get used to the sunshine and when it's cloudy, it can ruin your mood. I couldn't stand Seattle's weather and I hated it in the Midwest. Whatever toll the heat takes, I'll deal with it over those alternatives!
I'm the opposite of this. We have so much sunshine, the cloudy days actually stand out and feel refreshing to me. Just like a sunny day would stand out in the middle of a bunch of rainy ones.

I love the winters here and will never complain for one second about a 60 degree "cold" day.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:23 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
It has been cloudy here all day...I asked the granddaughter how did we live in Alaska, because I am in a mood...finally got my vitamin D and flippin weather god took it away...go figure...now it is dark and a new day tomorrow...I will go grill my salmon in the dark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area