Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 PM

125 posts, read 253,065 times

Advertisements

I agree with mhouse2001, its not too good to put all those chemicals on your skin every day. I know vitamin D is very impt which comes from the sun but too much of anything is not good. Thanks everyone for all the info and from what Im reading, the weather doesnt cause any other problems, outside of skin cancer and aging which you can protect yourself against that. Thats a plus to living in AZ, no more aches and pains for a lot of people from the colder climates fighting arthritis, etc...Im glad I started this post and if theres anything else you can think of, let us all know, thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 AM

430 posts, read 1,412,099 times
Default Of course it does take its toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammie View Post
I was just wondering what the heat/climate does to your body over the yrs. For example when it is humid, your arthritis acts up more so people say that the dry weather is better but doesnt the phx climate take a toll too...drier skin, skin cancer, aging, etc? When I lived in Colorado I remember my eyes burning all the time and I almost had to get glasses and my hands were aging with the dry air but when I moved back to NY, I became youthful again but dont like the bone chilling cold in the winter..Just wanted some thoughts on the local point of view.
you can hang a dripping towel out on your patio in the dead of summer and its bone dry in an hour, So, the environment must be always sucking moisture from the body. You are going to get a bunch of people in denial here I suppose. My hair looks great when I am back at home for a few days, my skin starts to look better as well. I never had to spend so much time and attention on my feet as I have here, or else you will have those nasty cracked heels you see so much of here. Thats why pedicure places thrive on every corner here. The best thing you can do is stay out of the sun as much as possible and take care of your skin, its gonna take its toll but you can slow that down a lot with some common sense. I don't use chemical sunscreens, I just don't linger in the sun, its just to intense here. I have seen those people that have pools here and spend a lot of time in there! no thanks

Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,668,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I'm the opposite of this. We have so much sunshine, the cloudy days actually stand out and feel refreshing to me. Just like a sunny day would stand out in the middle of a bunch of rainy ones.

I love the winters here and will never complain for one second about a 60 degree "cold" day.
I'm just like you. I get SAD [Seasonal Affective Disorder] from too many sunny days. I bask in clouds, chill, and rain when it hits.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,440,635 times
I love a warm, rainy day, nothing beats it.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM

568 posts, read 1,209,988 times
I moved about 10 years ago from a warm, humid climate(South Florida) to a hot, dry climate (AZ). I think a lot depends really on what type of skin you have to begin with, at least when it comes to aging of the face. I've always had oily skin...the downside being problems with acne, the upside being that it seems to have prevented my face from aging(I get a lot of surprised looks whenever people find out that I'm forty). Moving out to AZ helped in that, since my face is so oily, the dry actually seems to balance it out a bit, so I'm not constantly needing to dab my nose and chin. If a person already had dry skin or sun damage, I could see how this might be a problem.

Even though I lived in Florida, I also am very pale and knew to avoid the sun and sunburns from a few early bad experiences. Since I hate sunscreen, I usually just wear long sleeves...or during the summer I'll normally try to go outside during less intense morning sun when I want to hike or run errands.

But yeah...lip balm has become something of an addiction for myself and many other Arizonans. Every year it tops my wish list for secret santa at the office! That and hand-lotion. But hey...it's nice to get some scented bed/bath/body lotions every year for Christmas. Heh. Maybe Arizona should start an industry in lotion-making.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:38 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,581,861 times
I can't handle humidity too well. I am not obese but I am very sensitive to humidity. I had a deep tan as a teen in the 1970s. Have brown hair (still, at 50 ). I have done gradual (sunburn-less) tans in 2002 and was careless a few times in 2006. So I'm wary of skin cancer. These days I try not to be in the sun much. But I love mountain biking and I rub on the sun screen. I find that by doing an hour of mountain biking with SPF 30 I don't get a sun burn.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,041,350 times
I agree with Howard; I have many older relatives who've lived in Phoenix all their lives and many look much younger than their actual age; especially the 50 and 60 year old familia. Now, I know there will be some debate about genes and hispanics typically looking younger as they age, but I'm not so sure that is always the case. Also, my family ranges from "white" to the stereotypical always tanned skinned varieties. Just protect yourselves when outdoors. Wear light colored cotton to protect the skin.

I've taken hints from the older folk who garden with light and permeable cotton ensembles and don't burn even in July...

Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM

125 posts, read 253,065 times
So I guess you see a lot of people walking around in their favorite color, white?...lol.......I know that humidity can cause stress on a body like a heart attack, so even with the intense heat in AZ, there is no threat to an serious illnesses because its a dry heat?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:28 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,041,350 times
Quote:
So I guess you see a lot of people walking around in their favorite color, white?...lol.......I know that humidity can cause stress on a body like a heart attack, so even with the intense heat in AZ, there is no threat to an serious illnesses because its a dry heat?
Illness related to dry heat? Not that I can think of...really haven't seen an abundance of just white, LOL! I personally like light blues for example!

I thought of one; heat stroke/heat exhaustion/heat "sickness" which happen from over exposure to the sun without proper hydration and periods of shade.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM

430 posts, read 1,412,099 times
Default lol no threat

Quote:
well maybe Death from a heat stroke, other then that its all good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area