Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM

125 posts, read 252,969 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info on the dust, I never noticed that all the times I was there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,716,729 times
Arizona is very dry, north and south,so lotion is a must for your entire body.

Drink lots of filtered water. My friend had his cornea rip because of the lack of water that he drank.

Wear sunglasses to avoid massive floaters and any other eye problems.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,035,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post

Drink lots of filtered water. My friend had his cornea rip because of the lack of water that he drank.

What are cornea rips and massive floaters???

Sounds dangerous; but I do drink lots of water, wear sunglasses, and use lotion...a must in AZ!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,584,426 times
I think that people take the dust thing way out of proportion. Of course there will be dust - you're in the desert.

Will you have mosquitoes near lakes? Will you have nearly non-existent sunlight in the winter in the extremes of hemispheres? Of course. There's many more examples, but you get the point.

Really, what do people expect? Honestly though, I never noticed any dust in the Phoenix area when I was there. But we stopped in a gas station in Marana. Everything in that gas station was topped with dust. I was very confused... But then again, Marana felt like the middle of nowhere, considering we just got out of Phoenix not much earlier before arriving there.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,716,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
What are cornea rips and massive floaters???

Sounds dangerous; but I do drink lots of water, wear sunglasses, and use lotion...a must in AZ!
Cornea rip is exactly how it sounds. The cornea rips or separates from being together. Kind of like ripping a piece of paper.

Floaters and spots typically appear when tiny pieces of the eye's gel-like vitreous (http://www.allaboutvision.com/definition.php?defID=350 - broken link) break loose within the inner back portion of the eye.

I NEVER had floaters till i came to Phoenix.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,892,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post

!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I think that people take the dust thing way out of proportion. Of course there will be dust - you're in the desert.

Will you have mosquitoes near lakes? Will you have nearly non-existent sunlight in the winter in the extremes of hemispheres? Of course. There's many more examples, but you get the point.

Really, what do people expect? Honestly though, I never noticed any dust in the Phoenix area when I was there. But we stopped in a gas station in Marana. Everything in that gas station was topped with dust. I was very confused... But then again, Marana felt like the middle of nowhere, considering we just got out of Phoenix not much earlier before arriving there.
Kind of depends on the weather and your direct environment...We are on the edge of town pretty much in the desert, no grass to catch it...last night when the wind was blowing, if I could open the door it was coming from the south and I could feel and smell the grit hitting. I went out for about 5 minutes to pick up what needed to be and could feel the grit in my eyes...here if you open the door or window and wind whips up you will have dust, plus I have 3 dogs going in and out....then the dust devil comes along...like a mini-tornado...

Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,584,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Kind of depends on the weather and your direct environment...We are on the edge of town pretty much in the desert, no grass to catch it...last night when the wind was blowing, if I could open the door it was coming from the south and I could feel and smell the grit hitting. I went out for about 5 minutes to pick up what needed to be and could feel the grit in my eyes...here if you open the door or window and wind whips up you will have dust, plus I have 3 dogs going in and out....then the dust devil comes along...like a mini-tornado...
Oh wow, I didn't know it could really get like that out there! Well, I learn something new every day! (I still think it's better than what we're dealing with in Northern MN right now )

Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Oh wow, I didn't know it could really get like that out there! Well, I learn something new every day! (I still think it's better than what we're dealing with in Northern MN right now )
This is not on a daily basis...if no grass or block and the wind is blowing at all you have dust...I have lived in central and northern aspects of MN for more years than you are old (maybe double or more)...I know well and I will deal with my dust , but even at 40-some degrees her if the sun is out...it is doable with just a light hoodie...it is great...would I go back to MN...not unless a very short-lived to visit kids, and on second thought, I think I will send them a ticket to come here...

Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM

286 posts, read 1,031,193 times
As a Floridian I am definitely used to heat, and prefer it. But I do not like the humidity. Someone told me that if you wear flip flops in places like AZ your feet will get very dry. That's generally not true is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area