Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM

45 posts, read 118,102 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good martial arts dojo in Phoenix?

I take karate now, but I would be willing to try a different style. I'm not looking for a place that is really into the competition aspect and it has to have classes for adults. I'm not into boxing (I'm not fond of being punched in the face and don't see the point of being limited to hands only) or too much grappling. Sparring's ok, but not the kind of sparring where you try to knock the other person out or really try to hurt them. I don't need black eyes or a broken nose or anything like that!

I'm good with speed and flexibility but my stamina isn't the best. Lol, that was lots of information, but hopefully it gives a better idea of what I'm looking for!

I'll be living in the downtown Phoenix area, so I'm looking for somewhere that isn't terribly far from there.

Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
A lot of "dojos" have switched to teaching MMA since it's whats popular right now, but there is still plenty of places to learn specific types of martial arts.

I have been taking MMA classes for the last 6 months, I have greatly improved my stamnia and fighting ability, I have found that I really enjoy the mix of everything, if I want to box I can box, if I want to get down and grapple I can.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
Does anyone know of a good martial arts dojo in Phoenix?

I take karate now, but I would be willing to try a different style. I'm not looking for a place that is really into the competition aspect and it has to have classes for adults. I'm not into boxing (I'm not fond of being punched in the face and don't see the point of being limited to hands only) or too much grappling. Sparring's ok, but not the kind of sparring where you try to knock the other person out or really try to hurt them. I don't need black eyes or a broken nose or anything like that!

I'm good with speed and flexibility but my stamina isn't the best. Lol, that was lots of information, but hopefully it gives a better idea of what I'm looking for!

I'll be living in the downtown Phoenix area, so I'm looking for somewhere that isn't terribly far from there.

Any ideas? Thanks
I do a grappling style, but there's a Japanese Karate Association Shotokan school that's one of the oldest in the Valley and is very well respected, Arizona Karate Association, on 6326 N. 7th street. Here's their website:

ARIZONAKARATE.COM

There are some Kyokushin karate schools on the west side but they do some pretty hard sparring and may not be what you're looking for.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've considered mixed martial arts, but I'm not sure if it would be a good fit for me. I guess it depends on how they structure classes though - there might be a MMA program I would enjoy. I doubt it would improve my stamina though

Arizona Mike - thanks for the info. It's pretty easy to look these places up online, but it's hard to find reviews of them or know if they have a good reputation.

I'm fine with sparring so long as it doesn't involve broken bones or showing up to work the next day looking like the victim of domestic abuse I think I'll see if I can find out more about the Kyokushin schools to see if their sparring is too rough.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
I wouldn't suggest a lot of the MMA classes then, you do get hurt, I work at a bar so it's not a big deal for me if I go into work with a busted up lip and a black eye haha.

Our places does a good mix of Brazilian jujitsu, kick boxing, boxing, muay thai, and some karate.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
Any Ishinryu dojos here in Phoenix?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Any Ishinryu dojos here in Phoenix?
There's one in Chandler:

Welcome to the Frontpage

Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.

I've considered mixed martial arts, but I'm not sure if it would be a good fit for me. I guess it depends on how they structure classes though - there might be a MMA program I would enjoy. I doubt it would improve my stamina though

Arizona Mike - thanks for the info. It's pretty easy to look these places up online, but it's hard to find reviews of them or know if they have a good reputation.

I'm fine with sparring so long as it doesn't involve broken bones or showing up to work the next day looking like the victim of domestic abuse I think I'll see if I can find out more about the Kyokushin schools to see if their sparring is too rough.
You're very welcome. I've never trained at the AKA but it's been around a long time. When I trained at a Judo school, a lot of Japanese and European tourists seemed to stop by and ask directions to it so it seems to have a good reputation with visiting karateka.

MMA will definitely improve your cardio, but working the anaerobic system more than aerobic. Have you considered Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? No striking unless you do a separate MMA class, lots of fun and a tremendous workout. Lots of good instructors and schools all over the Valley and a robust competition network.

Kyokushin was started by Mas Oyama in Japan and has a general reputation as a hard-hitting, hardcore style with lots of full-contact sparring, including kicks to the legs, as with Muay Thai. I think in competition you can kick to the body and head but can only punch to the body.

Bottom line, find a school and an instructor you like that matches your goals, and a training system that is challenging but fun. Too many people think they have to train like a "The Ultimate Fighter" competitor and wind up burning out or quitting. Lots of good schools in the Valley:

Historic Arizona Trivia: Did you know the very first Karate school that opened in the mainland United States was in Phoenix? Robert Trias's school, which used to be on McDowell around 9th street.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
MMA will definitely improve your cardio, but working the anaerobic system more than aerobic. Have you considered Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? No striking unless you do a separate MMA class, lots of fun and a tremendous workout. Lots of good instructors and schools all over the Valley and a robust competition network.
My problems with stamina are due to asthma, which is why I don't think MMA would improve it. Even when I was in high school, playing tennis for the team 5 days a week for a few hours at a time, and taking a PE class that required doing a mile on the track twice a week, I had bad stamina. My time to make it around the track was in the bottom despite a lot of people in worse shape and less active than me being in the class because I couldn't keep up the running for very long at a time (due to breathing problems). Maybe I just need to find a better inhaler, but I've tried a few brands, and while they help, I just can't keep up on cardio. I've always been active and taken different sports, and I had great stamina until a developed asthma Now I'm short on breath and panting just going up a few (like 3) flights of stairs - it sucks!

Grappling isn't my thing, so I didn't think Brazillian Jiu Jitsu would be very fun for me. The positives of it for me are that grappling is definitely a workout and it's easier on my breathing. I also have some strengths when it comes to grappling - I'm good at using momentum and I have a combination of high pain tollerance and flexibility. On the down side, I weigh like 115 lbs and so far, I have not been good at internalizing any of the jointlocks I've been taught (but that might just be because we don't grapple often).

Quote:
Kyokushin was started by Mas Oyama in Japan and has a general reputation as a hard-hitting, hardcore style with lots of full-contact sparring, including kicks to the legs, as with Muay Thai. I think in competition you can kick to the body and head but can only punch to the body.
That doesn't sound bad. I was more worried about getting punched in the nose or getting a black eye or split lip. Bruises on the legs and torso are easily covered with clothes

Quote:
Bottom line, find a school and an instructor you like that matches your goals, and a training system that is challenging but fun. Too many people think they have to train like a "The Ultimate Fighter" competitor and wind up burning out or quitting. Lots of good schools in the Valley:

Historic Arizona Trivia: Did you know the very first Karate school that opened in the mainland United States was in Phoenix? Robert Trias's school, which used to be on McDowell around 9th street.
I agree, that the most important thing is to find a good challenging-but-fun class. There's just so many potential places, it's hard to know which might be a good fit, and which won't be! I'm definitely not the type who wants to train like an "Ultimate Fighter" competitor. I had my fill of serious competition and training when I was younger, now I'm just looking for something that is good exercise a couple of times a week, challenging, and interesting.

Also, I did know that about Robert Trias - I practice Shuri-ryu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: