Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 8,092 times

Advertisements

My mother lives in Phx and we are originally from San Diego, Calif. (my heart is there, BUT NOT my budget) She likes Phx & I detest the COLD, midwest, so we are planning to move from Indy in the Summer of 2010. I will just have graduated with my RN degree, but by then....I will have been an experienced LPN for a little over a year. Anyone know about the market for nurses in Phx? I have read & searched that the market is tight, but that seems to be the common theme in the US & I HAVE to get out of Indy or I am certain I'll be STUCK for ANOTHER 5 years I may be able to transfer if a position is available with my current employer to Chandler (my preferred method of moving to a new city)! I have kids, so good schools and family-friendly environments are important. I have heard nice things about Chandler. Are there any areas in Chandler to avoid? We will be looking to rent, initially. Is there a high scorpion population in Chandler? I am TERRIFIED & CREEPED out by them!!! Any info would be GREATLY appreciated TIA!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Most of Chandler is fine. The oldest part, near downtown, might be the sketchiest. To the south, in the Hamilton High attendance zone, would be best.

The scorpion issue is way overblown pretty much everywhere in the Valley. I've lived here 50 years, I've seen four, and two were nearly dead at the time. Yes, there are isolated areas that have some problem with them, and there may be one or more of those in Chandler, but if you are in an established neighborhood with no recently cleared land nearby, then you will likely be fine.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,279,533 times
Arizona is not for you since you said you want good schools. Arizona has the worst public education in the whole USA....

Arizona ranked dumbest in U.S.

However, you will not see scorpions in the city. I was born and raised in Phoenix, and only saw one in my whole life.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 8,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Arizona is not for you since you said you want good schools. Arizona has the worst public education in the whole USA....

However, you will not see scorpions in the city. I was born and raised in Phoenix, and only saw one in my whole life.
The schools are BAD in Indy! I was unclear in my post and referring to the better schools in the Chandler area. Thanks a bunch for the link!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:

Oh, for heaven's sake. Did you ever HAVE children in the schools here? Are you just parroting the statement some naysayers here love to repeat (and many of them also have no personal experience with any schools here)?

That link you posted was discussed here earlier, if it's the one I think it is. Hardly determinative of anything.
The funding for schools here is very poor generally compared to the other states, but to flatly make the above statement is, IMO, irresponsible. Some schools are better than others, for sure. Some of that is due to uneven funding due to the poor tax base in some areas. But money alone does not a great education make, anyway. I've been connected through family (both in terms of teachers and students) to the education system here for decades. My relatives who taught here would say, and did say, the same thing. Spending more money on something like teaching looks good, and it does demonstrate a government interest in education, but isn't a guarantee of a good education at any given school.

The schools feeding Hamilton, and Hamilton itself, are VERY GOOD schools. The Kyrene district, which serves parts of Chandler, the Ahwahtukee area in Phoenix, and south Tempe, is also very good.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake. Did you ever HAVE children in the schools here? Are you just parroting the statement some naysayers here love to repeat (and many of them also have no personal experience with any schools here)?

That link you posted was discussed here earlier, if it's the one I think it is. Hardly determinative of anything.
The funding for schools here is very poor generally compared to the other states, but to flatly make the above statement is, IMO, irresponsible. Some schools are better than others, for sure. Some of that is due to uneven funding due to the poor tax base in some areas. But money alone does not a great education make, anyway. I've been connected through family (both in terms of teachers and students) to the education system here for decades. My relatives who taught here would say, and did say, the same thing. Spending more money on something like teaching looks good, and it does demonstrate a government interest in education, but isn't a guarantee of a good education at any given school.

The schools feeding Hamilton, and Hamilton itself, are VERY GOOD schools. The Kyrene district, which serves parts of Chandler, the Ahwahtukee area in Phoenix, and south Tempe, is also very good.
We clearly disagree here. I went to Moon Valley high school, and graduated in 1993. As you can see, I have horrible grammar. Not only that, there was so much incompetence there that I had no chance getting a higher education. I am sorry, but truthfully the public education in the Phoenix metropolitan area sucks. I know that since I am a victim of it. I went to Chaparral for elementary, Desert Foothills for 7th and 8th, and Moon Valley 9th through 12th. All were terrible.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:40 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,029,650 times
Quote:
We clearly disagree here. I went to Moon Valley high school, and graduated in 1993. As you can see, I have horrible grammar. Not only that, there was so much incompetence there that I had no chance getting a higher education. I am sorry, but truthfully the public education in the Phoenix metropolitan area sucks. I know that since I am a victim of it. I went to Chaparral for elementary, Desert Foothills for 7th and 8th, and Moon Valley 9th through 12th. All were terrible.
Actually, the Phoenix metropolitan area ranks above the national average. If your grammar sucks, it is because you didn't pay attention in school.

Also, Arizona will be changing their criteria for "ranking" schools to match the national model, LOL. So expect AZ to rise in those old stats because like other states, Arizona will now count Indian Res. and rural schools differently like other states have done for a long time; uh oh, watch out Minnesota.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Actually, the Phoenix metropolitan area ranks above the national average. If your grammar sucks, it is because you didn't pay attention in school.

Also, Arizona will be changing their criteria for "ranking" schools to match the national model, LOL. So expect AZ to rise in those old stats because like other states, Arizona will now count Indian Res. and rural schools differently like other states have done for a long time; uh oh, watch out Minnesota.
Fcorrales80,

You are clearly mistaken. I went to substandard schools. I, as well as my sister, were gifted students always making the honor roll. The PUBLIC education is lacking there, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,110,246 times
Quote:
I live in your old neighborhood.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I live in your old neighborhood.
Cool, my parents bought a brand new Crane house back in 1981. I lived right across from Surrey park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area