Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,833 times

Advertisements

Hey All--

Moving to Gilbert soon and was wondering about lawn mowers. Do you use gas mowers? Or do you use the non-powered reel type of mowers that you just push? Our new house doesn't have a lot of grass, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to us to bring our gas powered one....

Thanks for the input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 02:21 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
I have rocks.

But if I did have grass, I'd get a nice self-propelled gas-powered one. When I was a kid, I had to cut the grass with one of those "non-powered reel type of mowers that you push" and it was no fun.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin'thedream View Post
Hey All--

Moving to Gilbert soon and was wondering about lawn mowers. Do you use gas mowers? Or do you use the non-powered reel type of mowers that you just push? Our new house doesn't have a lot of grass, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to us to bring our gas powered one....

Thanks for the input!!!
I have a corded electric. Cordless might be better as dragging the cord around can be a pain, but may not have enough power. Electric beats gas I think. My gas mowers always had issues with carb gunking up, hard starting, rubber and plastic parts going bad, gas turning to varnish. With electric you just flip the switch, stop/go without hassles. And it is enviro-friendly. Gas mowers put out a lot of crap.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:37 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Default lawn mower

I've got an electric mower (with cord); works great. Less noise than gas powered and no smell. No air pollution. Once in a while I use my old non-motorized push mower. Push mower works great unless a stick or rock gets caught in the blades, which brings it to an immediate halt, resulting in jamming the handle into my midsection as I'm pushing forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have a corded electric. Cordless might be better as dragging the cord around can be a pain, but may not have enough power. Electric beats gas I think. My gas mowers always had issues with carb gunking up, hard starting, rubber and plastic parts going bad, gas turning to varnish. With electric you just flip the switch, stop/go without hassles. And it is enviro-friendly. Gas mowers put out a lot of crap.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
i too use a corded electric mower .... was a bit of a trip at first to just push the button and compress the lever to get it going and then hearing just a hum as opposed to the loud gas mowers I was used to

a lot less vibration, a lot less maintenance/worry, runs quieter and does a fantastic job

the cord was an adjustment, but it's not the bad - i keep it over my shoulder and just have a mowing pattern where I don't tangle myself

Old 12-28-2009, 11:10 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
I only see corded electrics in my neighbourhood. If you have a BIG lot, a gas might be handy. For the small 20X20 grassy areas, an electric is the way to go.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,833 times
Wow--great information, thanks to everyone who put their 2 cents in....!! Having never used the non-power kind of mower, we weren't sure if that made most sense. But thanks to the visual of the handle poking you in the midsection after hitting a rock or stick, it seems the electric is the way to go. Time to sell the gas one...

Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM

426 posts, read 1,306,190 times
We moved out here from the Dallas area back in June.

Our house in the Dallas area had a mix of bermuda and St Augustine grasses and was very thick. I used a self propelled gas mower there and was happy with it.

I gave the mower to the person that bought our house since we couldn't ship it in in the PODS we used to store our stuff while looking for houses out here. Once we found a house, I went with a Black and Decker corded electric mower. I've used it maybe four or five times, but happy with how it cut the yard.

One thing that really surprised me is how little an electric mower weighs compared to a gas combustion mower. The weight difference is so drastic that it feels like you're pushing a toy around the yard that also cuts grass.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times
Here's the mower I use.

Amazon.com: American Lawn Mower Company 1705-16 16-Inch Bent Reel Mower: Home & Garden

It's very good and I recommend it to everyone that doesn't have a huge lawn.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Here's the mower I use.

It's very good and I recommend it to everyone that doesn't have a huge lawn.
Good for you, Billy . . . a little exercise is good for all of us.

Personally, I live in a Patio Home with nothing but Cactus and Rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area