Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 125,800 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a water softener for my home since the water here in Ahwatukee seems to be quite hard. Does anyone know of a company/water softener that they are quite pleased with, both in terms of the daily use and installation services? I will also need a "loop" installed as my house is not pre-plumbed for a water softener. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
We have a Sears Kenmore system that we've used for more than 20 years and are satisfied with it. They're probably the more reasonably priced ones too.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
We originally went with a cheap no-name water softener and noticed no difference with our water. Company said it was "working fine" and I paid someone to come test my water and it wasn't softening the water at all. I had this company come remove their product and started shopping for a new softener.

I received a flyer in the mail one day from Ecowater and called them up. The person I spoke to was very knowledgeable and actually told me I didn't need to spend the money on the larger size for my house that the smaller one was plenty big for my needs. Had them come and install their unit and everything was 100% higher quality on the install and the unit. Can't remember my salesman name but their website is Arizona Water Softeners - Phoenix Water Softeners | EcoWater | All About Water

There was a huge difference in the water with the Ecowater system and we've been very happy with it for the last year and a half. Highly recommended.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. May I asked what you paid? A range is ok, just don't want to get ripped off. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raining79 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. May I asked what you paid? A range is ok, just don't want to get ripped off. Thanks.
It was a year and a half ago so I can't really remember, however, I'm thinking it was right around $1000. We looked at some that were much more expensive with other companies and this was one of the least expensive companies and the salesman didn't try and upsell me but actually told me I was shopping for too big of unit for my needs.

As an example of the quality of the install...without even asking they installed a hose spigot in the garage right off the output of the water softener so I can connect a hose and wash my cars with soft water. The first company I went with just threw it in and everything was a mess which wasn't the case with Ecowater.

Ecowater did a quality job all the way around.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM

551 posts, read 2,725,598 times
Many of the generics are good as long as you get a valve control unit that is made by Fleck. This is the same manufacturer that many of the higher-prices, highly-commissioned companies use. The ones you can find at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. are generally OK, but may not last as long. A complete system usually runs under $1000.

As for the loop/installation, almost any plumber can do this for you, as it is similar to installing a water heater. Just make sure they install the water softener system on the cold side, just before the feed to the water heater (which is usually in the garage for newer homes). This way, you get soft water throughout your house at both temperatures. The installation should cost around $100-$200, depending on how hard it is to find and connect to water inlet.

You might want to also look into an RO system for your kitchen, that can be used for your drinking water (and ice maker).

Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
I got rid of my salt lugging and leaky Sears water softener. After 2 years, it was defective. I got a water conditioner instead. Does not need salt. Wonderful.. If you want the name of the co, message me.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 AM

78 posts, read 285,449 times
Has anyone used the Lowe's Water softener ?
I checked that out few months back, It has great features, and runs around 1000 bucks too. The features are auto adjustment on water usage
I just need reviews on that

Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks all for the recommendations.

What's the difference between a water softener and a water conditioner?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
This site should answer all your questions: Water Softener info and faqs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area