Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

We have had some discussions about this. Score one for the west side! Goodyear seems to get a lot of things - hospital, ballparks, private university and maybe ASU campus - bright future ahead.

E.V. cities lose solar plant to Goodyear | Arizona Business, personal finance, technology news for East Valley and Phoenix | eastvalleytribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/149983 - broken link)

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....782&highlight=

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-29-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We have had some discussions about this. Score one for the west side! Goodyear seems to get a lot of things - hospital, ballparks, private university and maybe ASU campus - bright future ahead.

E.V. cities lose solar plant to Goodyear | Arizona Business, personal finance, technology news for East Valley and Phoenix | eastvalleytribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/149983 - broken link)

That's a good get. Not gonna be a big operation initially, but hopefully will grow and maybe attract similar firms to the area. That's one thing that area definitely needs to sustain itself, quality employment.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Thumbs up to Goodyear, Phoenix, and Arizona...jobs are jobs and with this economy, jobs are good, now may more companies move in and give some solid stability

Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see the West Valley gain in employment. Nice to see the next large employment sector in Arizona using the entire Valley. I'm sure the location and I-10 access in Goodyear near the periphery of the heavy traffic was a plus to the large solar plants planned in Western AZ, eastern Cali deserts!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:43 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Not good news for this plant at the very least, and possibly for the sector as a whole in the valley. Although I think this just may be some maneuvering by Suntech. This is one of the handful of industries that Arizona has a good chance of attracting.

Also on azcentral today, the private university planned for Goodyear has apparently been shelved, and probably ASU too.

House bill would jeopardize plans for Goodyear solar plant

Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Not good news for this plant at the very least, and possibly for the sector as a whole in the valley. Although I think this just may be some maneuvering by Suntech. This is one of the handful of industries that Arizona has a good chance of attracting.

Also on azcentral today, the private university planned for Goodyear has apparently been shelved, and probably ASU too.

Why oh why do we have such a bunch of muddle-headed nitwits in the state legislature? It is getting downright embarrassing to live in this state.

Over the years, I've learned that most of these right-wing dream bills introduced in the capitol will not survive the legislative process. Fortunately, this one will never get past the governor's desk if it makes it that far. The governor is just not dumb enough to sign legislation that might tank Arizona's solar future.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why oh why do we have such a bunch of muddle-headed nitwits in the state legislature? It is getting downright embarrassing to live in this state.

Over the years, I've learned that most of these right-wing dream bills introduced in the capitol will not survive the legislative process. Fortunately, this one will never get past the governor's desk if it makes it that far. The governor is just not dumb enough to sign legislation that might tank Arizona's solar future.

If this goes through, you're going to see over a thousand people wind up in the unemployment line with the touch of a pen with thousands of more potential jobs never coming here in the first place. The incentives for solar have made Arizona competitive with other states, take them away and you kill a growing industry before it has had a chance to get going.

As an independent voter, I'm appalled at this sort of idiocy.

Killing jobs in the middle of a recession over a few bucks a year?

Quote:
Marv Worthen, president of the Sun City [COLOR=#0000EE ! important][COLOR=#0000EE ! important]Taxpayers[/color][/color] Association, told lawmakers that the $3 to $4 a year "counts" for some senior citizens.
LOL at a representative of one of the most wealthiest, well-to-do area's complaining about $3-4 bucks a year to boost up the state as a whole.

Quote:
Several lawmakers criticized subsidies bolstering an industry's growth.
"If you believe in solar you shouldn't have to prop it up," said Rep. Steve Montenegro, R-Litchfield Park, who voted for the bill.

Kind of how we don't prop up nuclear, gas and electricity itself???? Pointing fingers at solar but happily looking the other way when the government subsidizes nearly everything else? Give me a break.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Well, I think the problem is there is no money to spend. The state has no more credit, has no money, and is having to sell off property and buildings just to get by.
I'm sure if they had money to spend, they would. But you can't spend what you don't have--especially when your credit is maxed out and you're spending more than you're bringing in.
It's common sense, if you ask me.
Besides, the "life would be boring" arguement (found in the AZ Republic article) is pretty lame when you consider the budget shortfalls.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
it's common sense that you spend money where it gets a return

this gets a huge return and will help provide income to the state in both the short and long run

how much of the state money is going to be spent on unemployment benefits and social programs when a whole new round of people hit the unemployment line? How much tax can you collect from a population that isn't there?

regardless of where it lands, bringing in an emerging sector is huge. Jobs will open, people will move in, vacant houses will get tenants, etc.

the cost/benefit on this one is pretty lopsided

Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Well, I think the problem is there is no money to spend. The state has no more credit, has no money, and is having to sell off property and buildings just to get by.
I'm sure if they had money to spend, they would. But you can't spend what you don't have--especially when your credit is maxed out and you're spending more than you're bringing in.
It's common sense, if you ask me.
Besides, the "life would be boring" arguement (found in the AZ Republic article) is pretty lame when you consider the budget shortfalls.
It is not about the state budget. The legislature is trying to rescind the Corporation Commission directive that says how much energy must come from renewable sources. The bill would give authority to the state legislature to make such policies. The republicans in the state legislature would then kill any renewable energy mandates and initiatives. With an uncertain market for renewable energy, the risks of investment in AZ become too great relative to more forward-thinking states like California, Nevada, and New Mexico and the companies exit our market taking the investment, jobs, and hope of having an economy based on something other than sprawl with them.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-25-2010 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area