Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM

14 posts, read 23,937 times

Advertisements

Is this the place to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Kind of a board question. Depends on many things...

I work in Surprise and it's a nice area, however, I would not want to live there as it is isolated from most of the rest of the valley. I have friends that live there and they are always complaining about how far everything is. We looked in Surprise and are glad we did not buy up there as it is a haul just to get to a freeway to take you someplace else.

Employment opportunities don't seem to be abundant up there unless you work in retail. This may not be important if you're really retiring.

I would not be looking at Surprise if I were retiring at retirement age as it seems to be more of a young family suburb to me. I'd look at some of the active adult communities if I were retirement age. I've always liked Pebble Creek in Goodyear and have some friends that love Sun City West.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Actually there are many retired people and snowbirds in Surprise. It all depends on which area you look. Some of the subdivisions like Marley Park and Rancho Gabriella are mostly families. But areas like Sun City Grand (which is in Surprise), Arizona Traditions are retirement communities. Even the West Point Center area is mostly smaller homes that has a lot of retirees and snowbirds.

You may also wish to consider Sun City and Sun City West. These communities are geared for retirees and have lower costs (since they do not have to support schools) than other areas, 3 good hospitals and lots of activities.

As a retiree commuting will likely be the least of your problems. Try and find a spot that has the things you want like peace and quiet, low costs and low maintenance.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM

611 posts, read 1,990,850 times
Pro baseball in Surprise, Pro football 15 minutes away. Surprise is 1 hour or less from everything including the airport, Scottsdale, central Phoenix, Tempe, Lake Pleasant, Westgate, and the Phoenix Zoo. I wouldn't call 1 hour isolated. The White Tank Mountains are right next door. You are close to Sun City, Sun City West and many golf courses. The cost of a home is lower than many other areas. Everything is new. It is very, very safe. I live here. I work at one of three local hospitals. There are many doctors and dentists nearby. Since I work in the northwest living in Surprise was perfect. Vistancia in Peoria is nice but that place is really isolated. Goodyear seems too congested with traffic and was too far from work to us but it is very nice.

It also depends on your budget. Do you want new, like $125k for 1600 ft/sq in Surprise farms or a 1960s house with a big lot for $50k more in Scottsdale? Or perhaps a condo in Sun City for under $100k? My advice, go look at the areas for yourself. There are many options and prices are back to be reasonably affordable.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Sun City Grand is a very nice area of newer homes in Surprise. You can’t go wrong with that development. IMO

Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM

14 posts, read 23,937 times
Thank you!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Check this out.

Money Magazine named Surprise on of the top places to retire.

25 Best Places to Retire - Surprise, Ariz. (5) - Money Magazine

Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 PM

107 posts, read 338,408 times
My dad retired to Surprise. And i visit him often. Its a nice community. Very clean and lots of retail and restaurants. If you need to commute daily. There is no freeway access in Surprise. Which can make your commute quite long. But the housing is affordable and the property taxes not bad either. And the White Tanks are close by. Also there is a water park on Bullard that the kids enjoy very much. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area