Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensor View Post
Would I still be wrangling with traffic if I was leaving CG at 6a and Phoenix at 6p?
Yes.

You would hit the heavy morning I-10 traffic into Phoenix about the time you get into Chandler and it gets even heavier at the 60 and I-10 interchange.

Evening crush hour traffic is just as bad or worse. Maybe trying some of the surface streets in Phoenix like Thomas would be less congested than the freeways but not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,345,387 times
Tensor,

I cant answer what traffic is like near downtown at about 6:40 (the time you would get there if you left CG at 6AM) or coming out at 6PM - Im sure someone will.

But if your wife's job is in Tucson you really dont have any other options? I mean the next closest city towards phoenix would be Chandler or Ahwatukee, and that would make your wife's commute REALLY bad. CG is really the only middle ground since everything between us and Chandler is the Indian Reservation.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,760 times
I just want to add that leaving Central and Thomas at 6:00 in the evening maybe wouldn't be as bad.

The peak afternoon and evening traffic time seems to be between 4 and 6, so you would get into some heavy tie-ups after 6 but probably more so if you left earlier.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 19,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
But if your wife's job is in Tucson you really dont have any other options? I mean the next closest city towards phoenix would be Chandler or Ahwatukee, and that would make your wife's commute REALLY bad. CG is really the only middle ground since everything between us and Chandler is the Indian Reservation.
Is traffic to/from Chandler and Tuscon as bad as it is to Phoenix? My wife may be able to go part time and only have to make the commute 3-4x a week, which even though it's longer, if there's less traffic and it's 1.5-2 hrs each way, might be doable.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Quote:
Is traffic to/from Chandler and Tuscon as bad as it is to Phoenix? My wife may be able to go part time and only have to make the commute 3-4x a week, which if it's 1.5-2 hrs each way, may be doable.
No, I would think it would not be as bad. Tucson is so much smaller, fewer people heading into it from the outskirts to work. And, it's TUCson, not TUScon (don't worry, most people have an issue with that one at one time or another).

Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,345,387 times
I agree with observer...just seems like an awful long drive into Tucson from Chandler, even if only a few days a week. But everybody is different. The only other factor then is that you will LIKELY (Im sure there are exceptions if you work at it) get alot more house for your money in CG than most places in Chandler.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:16 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
A lot depends on where in Tucson you are? I had the misfortune to work in Tucson in the mid-90s near Speedway and Wilmot and I swear it took forever to get from there back to the freeway. Seems like about 45 minutes, but I could be exaggerating.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 19,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
A lot depends on where in Tucson you are? I had the misfortune to work in Tucson in the mid-90s near Speedway and Wilmot and I swear it took forever to get from there back to the freeway. Seems like about 45 minutes, but I could be exaggerating.
University of Arizona

Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
That's not so bad, then.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM

725 posts, read 2,323,693 times
Quote:
Right about it being 55 mins -and- 1 hr 40 mins in rush hour?

I see. The reason that I'm looking at Casa Grande is that should I take a job in Phoenix, my wife would be commuting to Tuscon, and so we'd need to live halfway. But, if it's more than an hour each way I'm not sure I could do it...what if I was commuting from 6a, and leaving Phoenix at 6p?
I was going to suggest getting a place nearby your work in Downtown Phx., but then I saw that your Wife is working in Tucson; so Casa Grande would be a good half-way point.

People on here are right though - you're in for a heck of a commute!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area