Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 PM

197 posts, read 392,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbutdownn View Post
I know two people that were stung in the past week alone, inside their house. The problem seems to be especially bad this year. I wonder if there are further updated stats from the ones given in the story?
Hopefully the medical and psychological expense of said event was not overly horrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 AM

426 posts, read 1,306,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
That's a good starting list for trying to keep them out of the house. Thanks for the list.
Glad to help. I've read a lot of good information on this forum and glad I'm able to give back a little.

The same company will be out again next week to work on the outside of the house. I'll post the same details once I learn of them.

I'm looking forward to them getting the outside of the house done. The company asked me to not spray any more chemicals outside until they're finished. They don't me to do anything that might drive them from where they like to hide in my concrete block fence and possibly into the house.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 PM

295 posts, read 552,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
I thought I'd provide an update on Seal Out Scorpions first visit to our house.

They were here yesterday for around 6 hours. They first concentrated keeping any scorpions living in the walls from getting in the house. During that time they did the following:
- removed all the A/C vents and caulked the space between the sheet rock and duct work (common for there to be a small gap here)
- caulked around all the electrical outlets and light switches covers
- caulked along all the baseboards next to tile floors, sheet rock could have small space where it meets the floor and allow space for scorpion to crawl out
- caulked any open spaces around sink and toilet plumbing where it goes into the wall
- put mesh screens in all the bathroom vent/fans
- caulked around the top of all the ceiling fans and any light fixtures

They'll be back out again in the near future to work on the outside of the house.
Thanks for the post, that is really good information. I know there is no fail-proof way to close off a dwelling, but it looks like this advice goes a long ways.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 PM

426 posts, read 1,306,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
Thanks for the post, that is really good information. I know there is no fail-proof way to close off a dwelling, but it looks like this advice goes a long ways.
I just remembered they also caulked above the door molding for the door frames throughout the house.

If you've ever painted a room before, you may have noticed that when a house is built, it is pretty common for the that area not to be caulked by the builder since no one ever sees it. The potential exists for a small gap to exist where a scorpion could crawl out from behind the wall.

Also a minor revision. They spray foamed, not caulked around where the plumbing goes in the wall.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
I know, I actually plan on applying this information to my own home.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
I just remembered they also caulked above the door molding for the door frames throughout the house.

If you've ever painted a room before, you may have noticed that when a house is built, it is pretty common for the that area not to be caulked by the builder since no one ever sees it. The potential exists for a small gap to exist where a scorpion could crawl out from behind the wall.

Also a minor revision. They spray foamed, not caulked around where the plumbing goes in the wall.
This is some I did last night. Again, appreciative of the information.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
aliveandwellinSA - are you familiar with the range of the Genus Vaejovis?
Im quite familiar with the Vaejovis genus. AZ is crawling with them, theyre completely harmless for the most part. I fact, I believe the most common scorpion in the Valley is Vaejovis spinigerus. The Vaejovis genus is not considered dangerous and are small, definitely not 5" like the other poster said. The biggest scorpion species in the Americas is Hadrurus, which are found in Arizona, especially Hadrurus arizonensis, which can get up to 5" long. Those are harmless, too.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
yes. My friend and doctor in Mexico emailed me and said I was stung by the Centruroides class but did not know the specific name, but had seen stings by the same scorpion in the region., and he said very dangerous, if untreated possibly deadly. He also sent this:
The highest reported mortality rate is recorded in data from Mexico, with estimates as high as 1000 deaths in 1 year. In the United States, 4 deaths were reported in an 11-year period according to one source.2 However, no deaths were reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers from 1983 to 1999. Only one death from the Arizona bark scorpion (C sculpturatus) has been reported since 1964.3 Ironically, the highest and lowest mortality estimates are associated with different species within the same genus of scorpion (Centruroides).
The two worst Centruroides species in Mexico associated with thousands of deaths are C. limpidus and C. noxius, those are two very potent scorpions in Mexico, and are closely related to AZ's infamous Centruroides exilicauda/sculpturatus.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im quite familiar with the Vaejovis genus. AZ is crawling with them, theyre completely harmless for the most part. I fact, I believe the most common scorpion in the Valley is Vaejovis spinigerus. The Vaejovis genus is not considered dangerous and are small, definitely not 5" like the other poster said. The biggest scorpion species in the Americas is Hadrurus, which are found in Arizona, especially Hadrurus arizonensis, which can get up to 5" long. Those are harmless, too.
Steve-o, is there an easy way to differentiate these from the bark scorpions? I mean in the heat of the moment when one is walking across your floor and you are "concerned". If these Vaejovis are common, I have probably smacked a few thinking they were bark.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The two worst Centruroides species in Mexico associated with thousands of deaths are C. limpidus and C. noxius, those are two very potent scorpions in Mexico, and are closely related to AZ's infamous Centruroides exilicauda/sculpturatus.
The Centruroides exilicauda/sculpturatus seems to be a prominent one on many people's minds in the Phoenix area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area