Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 AM

35 posts, read 157,957 times

Advertisements

New city-data user here, been a long-time reader, but now I need some help!

Has anyone here visited or lived in Summerlin, Nevada? We have family that lives there and we absolutely love how everything is arranged (mass high-end subdivisions, great architecture, no run-down buildings, hired yardwork people keep it looking really good all the time, etc.). A view of the mountains is a plus, but not necessary (I won't be that picky!).

We were considering moving there, but are incredibly hesitant due to Las Vegas' economy being in shambles. So we're looking at the Phoenix area now, we're not looking for a huge mansion or anything, but rather a small house (1500 sq ft-ish) in a really good neighborhood like Summerlin.

I've heard good things about Scottsdale so far, are there any other sections of Phoenix that might be like that? Also, what parts of Scottsdale are the best (if you don't know that's fine)?

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 AM

652 posts, read 2,711,718 times
I don't mean to be rude but aren't all subdivisions/suburbs the same? Very cookie cutter with all the same snout-house and McMansion designs? I've been to Summerlin and can't tell the difference between it and any other subdivision I've ever been in.

Is there anything else about Summerlin that actually makes it stand out?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 AM

If they were all the same, why would I be asking for a similar location? I currently live in a suburb subdivision, and have been to at least 20 similar areas in the US, but I've never seen anywhere quite like Summerlin. I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like you explored the city too much.

I'll be traveling to Phoenix in a month and could really use some help, because I've never been there and I'm going in blind right now. If anyone can help me - not criticize me - it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
I drove around Summerlin when I last visited Las Vegas, it is a very nice area of town.

Maybe try Litchfield Park in the west valley, it's not exactly like Summerlin but it's pretty close. It's very suburban but far enough away from city life, manicured yards, quality homes, lots of golf courses, and scenic views of the nearby Estrella Mountains.

Last edited by Java Jolt; 04-20-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Correct a spelling error

Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmualum View Post
If they were all the same, why would I be asking for a similar location? I currently live in a suburb subdivision, and have been to at least 20 similar areas in the US, but I've never seen anywhere quite like Summerlin. I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like you explored the city too much.

I'll be traveling to Phoenix in a month and could really use some help, because I've never been there and I'm going in blind right now. If anyone can help me - not criticize me - it would be greatly appreciated.
The Summerlin look can be found in every direction in Phoenix. It's the same builders, same floorplans, same landscaping, same blue skies and same illegal aliens tending things.

There are three master planned communities on the western edges of metro Phoenix with clubhouses, golf courses, waterparks, etc that you might like - Estrella, Verrado, and Vistancia. To the north is Anthem. They all have web sites so you can get an idea. There are similar things in every direction, but others would know those places better than I do. The western ones I mention are very new and have all the "today" trends that buyers seem to want.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 AM

652 posts, read 2,711,718 times
Quote:
I still don't understand what is different or special about Summerlin. I've been there and I can't tell the difference between any other suburb/exurb/subdivision.

Like other people have stated, they are all built by the same builders, have the same floor plans, same cul de scas, etc..

What is it about Summerlin that stands out?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I still don't understand what is different or special about Summerlin. I've been there and I can't tell the difference between any other suburb/exurb/subdivision.

Like other people have stated, they are all built by the same builders, have the same floor plans, same cul de scas, etc..

What is it about Summerlin that stands out?
Poster is from Michigan and has visited there. The look here is very different and IMO much nicer than MI 'burbs (to each his own on this). I think what OP does not understand is that the Summerlin "look" is the way most of the new developments look here, in LV and in southern CA. Some people call it cookie-cutter like you do. Others are attracted to the cleanliness, the architectural elevations, the extensive landscaping, amenities, and the modernity of the latest master planned communities. I am in that group . I think OP is as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
New city-data user here, been a long-time reader, but now I need some help!

Has anyone here visited or lived in Summerlin, Nevada? We have family that lives there and we absolutely love how everything is arranged (mass high-end subdivisions, great architecture, no run-down buildings, hired yardwork people keep it looking really good all the time, etc.). A view of the mountains is a plus, but not necessary (I won't be that picky!).

We were considering moving there, but are incredibly hesitant due to Las Vegas' economy being in shambles. So we're looking at the Phoenix area now, we're not looking for a huge mansion or anything, but rather a small house (1500 sq ft-ish) in a really good neighborhood like Summerlin.

I've heard good things about Scottsdale so far, are there any other sections of Phoenix that might be like that? Also, what parts of Scottsdale are the best (if you don't know that's fine)?

Thanks for your help!!
There is no where in Phoenix that is even remotely comparable to Summerlin simply because Phoenix is not Vegas. They are totally different cities. You can find extremely nice areas in Phoenix or Scottsdale that are BETTER than anywhere in Vegas, but they will still always be lacking because of because of the extreme corruption of the Arizona government. Be prepared to live in a severe police state, with cameras watching you everywhere you go. I would chose Summerlin over even DC Ranch or Paradise Valley for this reason.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the helpful answers, I'm really liking Verrado atm
And yes, I am in that group, Ponderosa. I've seen a lot of Vegas, but not really CA. Unfortunately I've had to essentially cancel out CA and NV because of their respective job markets. I am really liking the looks of Phoenix though, can't wait to visit. Thanks again for the help so far!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
There is no where in Phoenix that is even remotely comparable to Summerlin simply because Phoenix is not Vegas. They are totally different cities. You can find extremely nice areas in Phoenix or Scottsdale that are BETTER than anywhere in Vegas, but they will still always be lacking because of because of the extreme corruption of the Arizona government. Be prepared to live in a severe police state, with cameras watching you everywhere you go. I would chose Summerlin over even DC Ranch or Paradise Valley for this reason.
From what I've seen, Vistancia and Verrado look extremely comparable to Summerlin, if not slightly better. I do like the Vegas entertainment atmosphere, but that could wear off after being there for a month or so...not really sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area