Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times

Advertisements

When telling people around here where I live, I sometimes say, "South Tempe, but I'm close enough to throw a rock into Chandler" I love Tempe, but I also love being close to the shopping and restaurants in Chandler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:30 AM

117 posts, read 293,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
I've always liked the architecture of the buildings - much better than the big box design of many schools. I've driven by the school many times since graduating but I haven't really looked at it since leaving. I was still there when they started their construction projects with the parking lots and fields and whatever else they were doing, I'm not really sure what else they've changed since then though.
I graduated from Chandler in 2008 and the whole time I was there, it was non stop construction. They tore down the old building which housed the wood shop and auto classes and built a new 2 story building, they tore down the old pool and added a new bigger one, they renovated the Coy Payne gym and a bunch of other stuff. They told us that 'Old Main' (front building with the pillars) was actually sinking deeper in the ground every year, but I don't know what they were planning on doing about it. I pass by CHS frequently and I see now that they have are renovating the front entrance to Chandler Center for the Arts and they even added a color screen that shows upcoming events.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,432,402 times
I work right in Downtown Chandler and the construction has been a NIGHTMARE. However, I LOVE the area. La Stalla is a nice place to go for your lunch break, and they even feature $5 lunches.

During Christmas, this place glows...literally. They dress it up SO nicely! My employer did a great job buying one of those big 5 story buildings

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM

61 posts, read 191,759 times
I'm not sure what they were thinking by voting to narrow the road right there in downtown Chandler. It may cause people to avoid the area rather than be attracted to it. But, those of us who know about the great restaurants there will not be deterred.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,320,722 times
Here is an article about the Coach and Willies that is going up. It's going to be pretty large. I know Chandler has a lot of nice sports bars like Zips and Buffalo Wild Wings but they don't have an upscale sports bar so it's nice to get Coach and Willies.

Chandler could get Coach & Willie's

Another way to show Chandler is fairly liberal is they are going to allow alcohol sales on the sidewalks in downtown Chandler to further develop the bar scene and entertainment district there.

Zoning-code change that got a recommendation for approval last week from the Planning and Zoning Commission is expected to go to the council some time this month. It will allow the downtown establishments to expand their liquor service to sidewalks, expanding the area's outdoor dining and pedestrian atmosphere.
Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/c...#ixzz0pDFitCJ2

Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 AM

46 posts, read 116,859 times
I would imagine there would be some good loft, condo, or apartment living in Downtown Chandler too. Never been through there yet but it sounds like it's up 'n coming.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 AM

223 posts, read 597,044 times
Just wanted to say, based on this thread, I took the long trek from Shea/101 down to Chandler to try out Zocalo's (not Zocala's, as named in this thread). Was quite impressed by the area. Definitely on the way up, and - once all the construction is done- could be a great destination, and alternative to downtown Scottsdale.

I actually made my first visit on a Sunday, and it was a bit dead, and ... Zocalo's was closed. But SanTan brewery was open, and was a lively spot. I returned on another weekend and finally got in to Zocalo's. Food was not bad, nothing to write home about. I wanted to sit in the inner courtyard, but it was booked up so had to sit in the inside-dining room - not something I enjoy in the May/June timeframe as it's usually too cold. The place cries out for outdoor seating out front ... Overall, not a bad little stirip. I will go back and try more places.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,077,889 times
stayed at the San Marcos about two years ago and walked around the entire area....all four corners....

the area had a great feel even then and I'm glad to hear things are even better.....

but the immediate area will need a lot of permanent residents to give it a healthy, urban downtown "vibe"....there needs to be action 24/7 and I know there were efforts even two years ago toward getting local residents in there with some condos I saw in the area......with the economy slowly improving, I'm sure things will be even better in a couple years more....

good for Chandler....the city looks like it's very aggressive in doing what's good for downtown.....wish I'd gotten in on the ground floor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area