Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,087,217 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with the OP. I was at Cosco today and there weren't that many things to sample and the prices did seem exceptionally high. I didn't buy alot. I wanted their green tea with citrus and went there just for that. It was a surprise to learn at the checkout it was discounted because of some coupon so I saved $2.00. but I don't go there and buy alot. I suppose if you have a big family to feed its ok, but I am single and don't need all that food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:35 PM

253 posts, read 464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
My opinion of costco lately is the same it's been for 5 years. I won't go there. First of all is I don't like buying things in bulk anyways, so the store is not for me. But the last time I went, my friend had a little girl with him and she got knocked down like 4 times by people paying no attention to their surroundings. I don't know, I just don't like the feeling of shopping in a warehouse.
While all people should be courteous enough to not bump into anyone else, too many people think it's just fine for their kids to run loose, and for everyone else to watch out for them. It is the parents responsibility to keep their kids safe, out of things (unless they are going to buy them), and teach them to respect the rights of others. I for one am tired of parents who think that its OK to turn their kid loose to run up and down the aisles, get into the displayed food ( Yes, those bins at Sprouts are FOOD and other people don't want to eat the things that have been handled by children, even if it is YOUR little Darling), and generally make things a lot less pleasant for others.
I watched MY children, YOU watch yours.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,950,129 times
We usually shop at the Costco in Prescott and it is just fine. Prices are still a lot cheaper than you can get in regular stores and the quality is fine. I don't generally bother with the free samples so cannot comment. Checkout lines are great .... if you have ever been in the Costco in Yonkers NY you will know what horrendous checkout lines are

Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,430,420 times
I haven't extended my Costco membership since 2008, I noticed a lot of price items were going up, some of the baked goods lost their quality, as well as the meats, I couldn't find a good steak there so I completley stopped shopping there all together.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:06 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,327,594 times
I've never understood the fascination with Costco in Arizona. I think it's a West Coast thing since Costco was founded in Kirkland(Seattle), Washington.

Ironically, Sams Club is the Target of whole sale clubs and Costco is the Wal-Mart in my opinion. Like Wal-Mart, Costco always seems busier and the crowd seems seems more blue collar. Sams Club tends to carry more name brands while Costco seems to have their cheap Kirkland brand of everything. The layout of the store just seems cleaner and more organized in Sams Club much like Target seems cleaner and more organized than Wal-Mart.

I suppose the advantage of Costco is their return policy and cheaper membership which people have abused for years particularly with electronics. I knew a guy who would buy a computer, keep the box and paperwork, use it for 6 months and then return it and use the proceeds to buy a new computer. He basically kept upgrading his computer for free. Others I know have bought televisions, used it for 1-2 years and then returned it for a full refund. So Costco has become an urban legend among college kids and scam artists who have devised ways to cheat the system. Sams Club was smart enough not to engage in these tactics.

One advantage to Costco is their use of the American Express Card. If you are an AMEX user, Costco takes it whereas Sams Club takes Discover. I think AMEX is a great card with great benefits but the problem is no one takes it but Costco does.

I advocate the use of a whole sale club like Sams Club or Costco. The money you will save on using their gas stations will pay for your membership. Costco is 2 cents cheaper at the pump than Sams Club but has MUCH LONGER lines and can be a zoo whereas Sams Club's gas pumps function like regular stations without long lines. You can save a lot of money on basics like shaving cream, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towel, bottled water, meat. And if you get a business membership, it's usually cheaper and allows you priority shopping by opening their doors 2 hours earlier for business members. I have membership to both and I recommend Sams Club. It's less crowded, offers a better layout, is cleaner, and carries more high end and name brand products

Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,327,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are comparing loss leader sales prices to everyday prices. You can always find better deals in one store or another on sale items than you will at Costco. A savvy shopper spends a lot of time gathering and organizing the sale ads - then goes to Walmart where they price match!
Spending a lot of time to locate sale ads has costs associated with it too. In economics, it's called opportunity costs. How much are you really saving if you are having to devote a lot of time to locate ads. The nice thing about these wholesale clubs is that they offer reliably cheaper prices than you can find at stores. Sure, maybe you won't find the cheapest price possible but I don't want to waste hours on-line just to save a $1

Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 AM

164 posts, read 773,386 times
Costco is often used as a model in business school. Unlike your local chains or Walmarts that lure you in with cheap prices on a few items and then more than make up for it by charging more for others, Costco has a simple model -- no more than 15% profit markup on ANY item!!!

I like that. SURE, sometimes you will find a better deal on produce or elecronics on sale somewhere else, and I don't buy everything there, but I do feel GOOD knowing that they are never out to gouge me. That's in stark contrast to Walmart/Sam's 5-yr business plan which goes into an area with low prices, destroys the local competition, then raises prices steadily.

Plus, yes, I feel GOOD knowing that they treat their employees well. They pay well, they provide health insurance, and they made the commitment to keep jobs for employees who got deployed. Compare the average employee calibre and attitude at Sam's and Costco.

I've been a member since my mom took me to the "scary wharf part of Seattle" as a kid.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,417,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Darrell View Post
While all people should be courteous enough to not bump into anyone else, too many people think it's just fine for their kids to run loose, and for everyone else to watch out for them. It is the parents responsibility to keep their kids safe, out of things (unless they are going to buy them), and teach them to respect the rights of others. I for one am tired of parents who think that its OK to turn their kid loose to run up and down the aisles, get into the displayed food ( Yes, those bins at Sprouts are FOOD and other people don't want to eat the things that have been handled by children, even if it is YOUR little Darling), and generally make things a lot less pleasant for others.
I watched MY children, YOU watch yours.
Jeepers, thanks for the advice, Darrell!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 AM

824 posts, read 2,339,141 times
I recall radio frugality guru Clark Howard mentioning that Costco's maximum mark-up is 14 or 15%, which compared to many retailers is quite low. Obviously, the income from membership fees is a factor.

I buy stuff there like vitamins, over the counter stuff like generic Claritin, 24oz feta cheese containers for Greek salads ($5.99) that I eat several times a week, some frozen food items, and gasoline. If I decide that it is reasonable to do so (no heavy items on the list), I follow Clark's advice to shop at Costco without a cart, which helps avoid much impulse purchasing.

If you see something where the price ends in 97 cents, that is Costco code for clearance pricing below their cost. Of course, only buying things that you need is always best.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,616,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I haven't extended my Costco membership since 2008, I noticed a lot of price items were going up, some of the baked goods lost their quality, as well as the meats, I couldn't find a good steak there so I completley stopped shopping there all together.
Can't agree with you there. Costco sells quality meat, Choice and Prime. Not Select like you get at most Grocery stores.The ground beef is also high quality.

The Cheesecakes and birthday cakes are very good and priced well.

Prices will also vary from store to store (as will the items) and the only consistent prices I have seen is at the business center (Between Indian School and Grand) . The Candy is always well priced at that location. I also like the Costco has the business center and the Home Store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area