Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,657 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am contemplating a move to the Phoenix area and wanted to get a feel of where to check out.

I currently live in the "M-Streets" are of Dallas and love it due to it being an upscale neighborhood with a ton of restaurants and bars with in walking or a short drive distance. The people are fun young and for the most part educated high income and have not yet have children.

My question would be where in greater Phoenix might I find a place where the yuppies who wern't nerds live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,183,796 times
The two areas that most identify with what you describe are the downtown Scottsdale area and the Mill Ave area of Tempe. Both have affordable housing nearby although you will compete with the ASU students in Tempe.

The area just north of downtown Phoenix is also becoming popular especially since the light rail can bring around town easily and cheaply.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
I'd have to agree with either Midtown Phoenix or Tempe in terms of simlarities to the area you currently live in. An advantage of either area is the light rail, which can take you into downtown for sporting events and concerts or to other parts of the valley. I am moving back in a month (currently in uptown Houston/Galleria) and will be checking out those areas. I have contemplated Scottsdale but you will be dependent on your car if you liver in an area other than old town Scottsdale. Best of luck!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
It sounds like you like Dallas so why are you considering moving? I would recommend Old Town in Scottsdale. There is so much to do there and there are many restaurants that many people are unaware of.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM

28 posts, read 112,581 times
Hey...just moved out here from Plano(dallas area for non DFW folks) I moved to Gilbert...very similar to a Plano/Dallas, Gilbert/Phoenix comparison. Basically the 'burbs.

I loved the change from Dallas...haven't had enough time to know those areas yet here...but did want to chime in how great I think this area is in comparison to Dallas.

Mill ave has a great feel to it, but i haven't located spots around there that would equate to the M-streets vibe ..actually quite opposite (from housing standpoint... Mill Ave compared to Greenville ave...that is kinda the same...but may be worth exploring some more)

Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 29,300 times
Old Town Scottsdale, hands down...

Old 05-28-2010, 02:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwtransplant View Post
Hey...just moved out here from Plano(dallas area for non DFW folks) I moved to Gilbert...very similar to a Plano/Dallas, Gilbert/Phoenix comparison. Basically the 'burbs.

I loved the change from Dallas...haven't had enough time to know those areas yet here...but did want to chime in how great I think this area is in comparison to Dallas.

Mill ave has a great feel to it, but i haven't located spots around there that would equate to the M-streets vibe ..actually quite opposite (from housing standpoint... Mill Ave compared to Greenville ave...that is kinda the same...but may be worth exploring some more)
That's because Mill avenue is nothing like the M-street vibe. Mill avenue is closer to 6th street in Austin. For the M-street vibe, you need to check out City North in North Phoenix, and D.C. Ranch in Scottsdale. Unlike Dallas, Phoenix doesn't have a label for every little shopping and dining area that Dallas seems to provide but we have pockets just like that. For example, I consider Arcadia, the Biltmore, Kierland, Downtown, West Gate, Tempe Marketplace, Desert Right and San Tan Village to be their own entertainment districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area