Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Review The Pictures And Please cast your vote for the City-Data Photography Contest!
Maine Writer 47 20.80%
warptman 18 7.96%
debey 1 0.44%
Claire F 7 3.10%
Brill 1 0.44%
peggydavis 1 0.44%
Historic Bessemer 5 2.21%
ShepsMom 3 1.33%
Callies Mom 0 0%
Kuharai 3 1.33%
BuggaBoo2 6 2.65%
kdog 7 3.10%
grannymontanny 5 2.21%
atlmburns 1 0.44%
MooksterL1 12 5.31%
Inthesierras 14 6.19%
tom62 27 11.95%
FedupWNY 1 0.44%
Matt Angry 15 6.64%
redbird4848 2 0.88%
musincy 33 14.60%
Gizmo980 3 1.33%
ElkHunter 4 1.77%
Pawporri 10 4.42%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:07 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times

Advertisements

Yep, i agree. I think 2 weeks for posting and 2 weeks for voting should cover it. It gives you whole month from beginning to the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 12:16 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,215,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
FedupWNY and Redbird, What are your suggestions?
Not speaking for RedBird, how about splitting the number of entries into two polls... like east vs. west (maybe), just a though because with having 30-40 pictures to pick one from, there were some good contestant photos that didn't get a single vote.

The photo contest was a great idea, most of all... it's fun. I can't pos rep you again for putting it all together so quickly, but I can't let it go unsaid that on shortness of time, you did great!

Any ideas for the next contest? How about a "downtown" theme? It would be a good way of showcasing "downtowns" from so many areas (cities, towns, villages, hamlets, etc).

Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 PM

240 posts, read 1,372,309 times
Of all the photography websites I belong to, most of them regularly do a photo contest. Usually on a monthly basis. Considering this was a first effort of its kind here, I would say it went quite well. Using the other photo sites as a basis, and considering the website limitations we may have I would like to offer a few ideas.1) Criteria: some basic guidelines need to be met as far as subject matter, even though its just 'for fun". 2) Since we may be limited to 40 "poll" entries, thats fine. Have a deadline for submissions, if we get only 33 entries by deadline just go with it. 3) One issue which needs to be addressed is no voting until the deadline for submissions is met and photos are uploaded. I have never seen a poll open without knowing all the "candidates", but it happened. Entries were still being taken even though the polling was well into its third day.
I am most definitely looking forward to the next photo contest!! I have plenty of subject ideas. <city-scapes, autumn foliage, water, reflections,fog/mist,photos at night , at dawn/dusk, sunset/sunrise, bad weather, flowers, macro/closeup, churches, barns/rustic buildings, farms, covered bridges, forest, sidelight, backlight, silhouettes, snow and frost, action/motion> Just to name a few .

Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
Of all the photography websites I belong to, most of them regularly do a photo contest. Usually on a monthly basis. Considering this was a first effort of its kind here, I would say it went quite well. Using the other photo sites as a basis, and considering the website limitations we may have I would like to offer a few ideas.1) Criteria: some basic guidelines need to be met as far as subject matter, even though its just 'for fun". 2) Since we may be limited to 40 "poll" entries, thats fine. Have a deadline for submissions, if we get only 33 entries by deadline just go with it. 3) One issue which needs to be addressed is no voting until the deadline for submissions is met and photos are uploaded. I have never seen a poll open without knowing all the "candidates", but it happened. Entries were still being taken even though the polling was well into its third day.
I am most definitely looking forward to the next photo contest!! I have plenty of subject ideas. <city-scapes, autumn foliage, water, reflections,fog/mist,photos at night , at dawn/dusk, sunset/sunrise, bad weather, flowers, macro/closeup, churches, barns/rustic buildings, farms, covered bridges, forest, sidelight, backlight, silhouettes, snow and frost, action/motion> Just to name a few .
Great suggestion and a great pic from you too.

On your #3, I just have to say that you're incorrect. We left the 'Entry Thread' up for a week, then had two days to post the photos to the submission thread. The only reason folks were allowed to post pics after the voting started was because it didn't effect other posters in a negative way. In other words, the only folks damaged by late submissions were the ones who were late submitting.

In short, we had two threads. One up for a week for folks to say "Count me In" and one open for a period of roughly 48 hours for the pics to be submitted. After that, the poll was opened. We could have shut the door on late submissions or folks having issues, but some great pictures would have been eliminated. Again, since showing up late only meant some votes were missed by late comers, I decided to let the late ones in. The pics were too good to pass up.

I don't know any other way to handle it other than simply saying "Sorry, you showed up late and missed the boat", to me, that would have removed some of the 'just for fun' aspect from it.

I like your ideas for future contests and also the one about 'downtowns'. I'm waiting for a couple of questions to be answered by site Administrator, and then we'll see what the future holds.

Thanks again everybody!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:23 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Over on the Maine forum...we are all so proud of Maine Writer!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I saw some of those discussions. I'm glad you guys put the pressure on Maine Writer to enter.

You should be proud. It's a great picture.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:31 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Nice that I have another place to flood with endless photos, right? Thanks elston!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:00 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times
Congratulations to Maine Writer. And thank y'all for your entries. And thank you CD forum for the contest. I did not enter, but enjoyed what I saw. I think it went very well. Only suggestion is maybe next time limit to three (3) categories for winners:
1. People, 2. Places, and 3. Things. That should cover topics easily. Wonderful contest.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 AM

629 posts, read 3,599,332 times
Voters- We need your help. A challenge was issued for the CD shutterbugs to grab their gear and capture the holiday season, in any way they felt led. We told them that their them was "Holiday photos (Christmas, wreaths, candles, menorahs, Santa, etc) Something dealing with some aspect of the holiday season we are currently in."

So, we're asking you, which one of our contestant's pictures conveys the winter holiday season the best to you?

It's obvious that I either did jot read this or it was posted after I put up my picture. I did'nt realize it was only for "Holiday" Pix..........oh well maybe next time!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Default Historic Bessemer

Your picture was beautiful and your photgraphy skills look professional..Pleas enter the next contest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests