Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:47 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,815,782 times

Advertisements

question on using cameras flash.
ive never really had reason to use it,on the sx10.
but when trying for some close ups of hummingbirds on my covered porch,on a rainy day i did.my question ,,,is it normal for it to take so long between shots,with the flash set to "on" ?? i thought it would only do that with the "slow syncro" but what do i know

maybe this thread can also be used for other sx10 owners trying to figure out there cameras settings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
the flash has nothing to do with slow sync. the flash is for your subject and the subject can be exposed at 1/10,000 of a second with the flash....

it takes time for these small flashes to recharge, thats the wait..

slow sync is for exposing the background not the subject...slow sync slows the camera down for a brighter background... not the subject which is exposed by the flash

Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,466,319 times
Granny, I dont think your issue is camera specific. All flashes have a recharge time, some faster than others. I have read in a few articles that the type of batteries you use can affect flash recharge time. Several things I have read recommend using rechargable batteries over disposables, some of the better rechargables can improve the recharge rate.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Thank you guys for the info on slow syc, and the flash.
i will make notes on that. i do use rechargeables,i have about 4 sets,all different brands. good to know,that when using flash,i must not be in a hurry

Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
normal flash synch is 1/60th of a second...thats because tests showed at 1/60th human tremors in our hands will effect the photos 50% of the time so thats the slowest speed handheld before the odds are you will blur the photo from tremors..

for a brighter background you need to go slower with a tripod........ thats slow sync... you can go sooooooo slow...but again the subject has nothing to do with slow sync unless there is no background because everything is right behind the subject and close.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-11-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,466,319 times
Granny, one thing they mentioned with rechargables and using multiple sets was to mark each set with a different color so the same batteries charged together were used together. When I get home from work I will try to find the article and provide a link for you, it was really interesting to read.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Granny, one thing they mentioned with rechargables and using multiple sets was to mark each set with a different color so the same batteries charged together were used together. When I get home from work I will try to find the article and provide a link for you, it was really interesting to read.
good to know. i do try to keep them together. i have one set each of rayovac,energizer,duracell,and some off brand that came with camera ,digi- somethin or other

Old 06-11-2010, 02:56 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymontanny View Post
question on using cameras flash.
ive never really had reason to use it,on the sx10.
but when trying for some close ups of hummingbirds on my covered porch,on a rainy day i did.my question ,,,is it normal for it to take so long between shots,with the flash set to "on" ?? i thought it would only do that with the "slow syncro" but what do i know

maybe this thread can also be used for other sx10 owners trying to figure out there cameras settings
Some good reading material here:

Two new Canon Superzooms including first CMOS PowerShot: Digital Photography Review
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS review Cameralabs introduction make sure you click on the "pink" folders on the bottom
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Digital Camera - Review - The Imaging Resource! click on the folders on the top

Old 06-11-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
WoW thanks,ill be sure to look those up

Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM

412 posts, read 958,571 times
I also have an SX10 IS and it opened new worlds for me. I moved up from a 2 MP Kodak EasyShare circa 1999, so it was quite a switch. Eventually I became frustrated with the SX10 because it has a smaller sensor than a DSLR and pictures taken in low light come out very grainy. I disliked having to hold filters in front of the lens by hand because it has no threading to accept them. Eventually I moved on to a Canon Rebel T2i and will probably sell the SX10, but I'm very grateful for having had it. Got some very nice shots out of it (and some shots that could've been truly great if they weren't grainy). I loved the zoom lens.

It's worth noting that the SX10 has a hot shoe to accept external flashes if you feel that you are limited with the onboard pop-up flash. Using Canon rechargeable batteries, the flash recycle time for the pop-up flash is fairly decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography