Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:25 PM

298 posts, read 597,093 times

Advertisements

I need a new camera...any suggestions? Let's say I got about 350...400 bucks to spend. Can I buy a SLR digital for this amount? I know there are lots of camera's on the market but, can you all narrow down the search a little bit for me and then I'll do some research.

I got another question, if i may, I have an old Cannon AE-1 Program 35MM...would the lens be interchangeable with the newer SLR digital? I would assume they wouldn't, but, I had to ask.

I haven't looked at cameras for several years, so, I know almost nothing about cameras at this point.

Thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 AM

10,216 posts, read 17,918,291 times
You'll struggle to find a new DSLR with a kit lens for that price. Most entry level DSLR's with a kit lens start around $450-500. You may be able to find a new but discontinued model for less than $450 but even there, you'd struggle to find it for less than $400.

Current entry level models:
Canon Rebel XS
Nikon D3000
Sony a290 or a390
Olympus E-620
Pentax K-X

For discontinued models you may still be able to find new at some retailers:
Canon Rebel XT or XTi
Nikon D40
Sony s230 or a330
Olympus E-420 or E-520

But frankly, if you want something less than $400, you're probably going to have to buy used.

The lenses from a Canon AE-1 would not be compatible with a modern Canon DSLR. The AE-1 used the FD lens mount and the current lens mounts are the EF and EF-S (EF-S is compatible with an EF mount but not vice versa).
Canon AE-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Thanks PA2UK....I was afraid of that...I guess I'll have to save up some more $$$. At least you gave me some options that I can research. I'll probably stick with new...I just feel better buying new for some reason.

Sure wish my old AE-1 lens would work on the newer digital SLR's

Thanks again

Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 17,918,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
Thanks PA2UK....I was afraid of that...I guess I'll have to save up some more $$$. At least you gave me some options that I can research. I'll probably stick with new...I just feel better buying new for some reason.

Sure wish my old AE-1 lens would work on the newer digital SLR's

Thanks again
I forgot to mention, you can actually buy an adapter to use FD lenses on EF mounts: Amazon.com: Canon FD/FL Lens to Canon EOS EF Body Mount Adapter with Infinity Focus, made in Japan: Camera & Photo
But reviews are mixed.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:36 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,049,579 times
Indeed, the entry level bodies are going to start in the $450 - $500 range. Even some of the used will be a challenge to the wallet because, the lower the price, the higher the number of shutter actuations. As such, there is a greater potential that you will need to send it into the manufacturer for repair.

As for use of the your manual focus lenses from an AE-1, there are adapter options. In fact, Canon used to make one that has since been discontinued. You may find one hunting through some of the online auction sites and some camera stores that have been in business for several decades.

There are downsides to using one of these however. 1) these will not allow you to take advantage of such options as through-the-lens (TTL) metering and, of course, no auto-focus. 2) the adapters preclude you from focusing to infinity, but they may be helpful if you are doing macro photography.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,470,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
I need a new camera...any suggestions? Let's say I got about 350...400 bucks to spend. Can I buy a SLR digital for this amount? I know there are lots of camera's on the market but, can you all narrow down the search a little bit for me and then I'll do some research.

I got another question, if i may, I have an old Cannon AE-1 Program 35MM...would the lens be interchangeable with the newer SLR digital? I would assume they wouldn't, but, I had to ask.

I haven't looked at cameras for several years, so, I know almost nothing about cameras at this point.

Thanks very much
Actually go to your local camera store or a few of them in your area. Check and see what they have used even or on sale or a old model you might be surprised. Maybe even talk to the camera store and when they get something in that might be a good fit for you maybe they would contact you. Good Luck dont give up hope.

On another note if you buy used make sure the store is reputable. If you buy used from a individual be careful.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks to everyone...good information for me to take into consideration.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,571,006 times
I went with the Canon sx10is to start with. One lens..I have had this camera now for 2+ years and it has taught me alot. The newest Canon introduces PowerShot SX30IS superzoom: Digital Photography Review .Shop around some where in the $350 range.
The camera will teach you alot....this will determine how much further you want too go and what you want too do..for your next camera.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,828,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I went with the Canon sx10is to start with. One lens..I have had this camera now for 2+ years and it has taught me alot. The newest Canon introduces PowerShot SX30IS superzoom: Digital Photography Review .Shop around some where in the $350 range.
The camera will teach you alot....this will determine how much further you want too go and what you want too do..for your next camera.
I have to say, Tinman, that just in looking at your photos recently, I can see how much you've grown as a photographer, both with your compositions and also with your post editing and photo art skills.

I still have a lot to learn from my SX10 IS, but I do love this camera.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,571,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I have to say, Tinman, that just in looking at your photos recently, I can see how much you've grown as a photographer, both with your compositions and also with your post editing and photo art skills.

I still have a lot to learn from my SX10 IS, but I do love this camera.
Thanks....... Still learning with the SX10is.. great camera. For about year now I've been using a 10.1 inch Net Book & Picasa for all my editing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography