Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,491,647 times

Advertisements

I'm on this forum because I have been astonished, astounded, amazed, and set aback awe-strucked by many a beautiful image. Inference: I have respect for the posters on city data. So I ask if this amateur may be honored with some advice on his first camera. I am looking for a digital slr that can grow with me as I mature as a photographer. In terms of what I like to photograph most, think along the lines of architecture, cityscapes, and nature. Evntually I would like to be able to take more night shots, but from my understanding I still need to develop a better since of lighting and other aspects before I venture into that realm.

My budget goes from 400 to 700 ($). This ideally would allow for everything I need to get started. I prefer new. I am willing to go over budget (max 850) if someone has a persuasive argument on why I should.

I am incredibly excited to get my hands dirty and learn as much as I possibly can. I feel like this will be a life changer for me. Even when I had my Canon 600 SD point and shoot, I would experiment with techniques and take advantage of any opportuity to capture a moment, vista, or viewpoint. Unfortunately my canon's life came to an end more than a year ago, and I am more than ready to immerse myself back in the spirit of the lens. I am at a point where I could use this money to either travel, buy a bike (as I've been car free for more than a year now), or purchase a camera. I've come to this decision based on urge to share my world experience and the beauty I see every day. I wouldn't be satisfied traveling afar if I couldn't share the best of what I saw and experienced with my family and loved ones. Anyways, enough about me!

- Rudy

P.S. I would also appreciate information on any courses I could take on weekends to improve my knowledge and skills base within the LA region - preferrably close to North or Central Orange county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,253,296 times
Since you stated that your want a system that can grow with you and that you're interested in architectural photography, I'd recommend a Canon Rebel to get you started. To my knowledge Canon is still the only manufacturer that offers tilt-shift lenses (without getting into medium format), and I believe it offers the widest selection of lenses and accessories. Canon's long telephotos are second to none and are great for wildlife captures, if that's what you want for "nature".

If you pursue photography seriously, you're probably going to want to upgrade from the Rebel in 5-6 years anyway, so just get whatever you can afford for now. Prime lenses offer the best quality for your dollar, so you might want to start with the 50mm f1.8 (100 buckish) or just get a cheap kit zoom for starters. (Actually, with your budget you're going to be limited to "cheap" lenses whether you like it or not.)

Nikon would be another good choice, but they don't offer quite the lens selection and no tilt-shift.

Note: I admit to prejudice as I've been primarily a Canon user since 1968.

For courses, I'd investigate your local community colleges. They usually offer the most bang for the buck if you can find a week night that would work for you.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,491,647 times
Much thanks WyoNewk!!! After reading your posts, I went online and checked out the reviews for the rebels and was quite impressed. I was having an internal debate on whether I wanted to get the Canon Rebel T1i or the newer (and more expensive) T2i. Once I reminded myself that I am a complete amateur and wouldn't have the appreciation for the differences between the two cameras, and don't really plan on taking videos as much - T1i was the clear choice. I got a great deal on Amazon, and went a little over budget (to $790), but this was including a guide book, a 16gb memory card, and a 3 year warranty.

It comes with the kit 18-55mm IS lens. Which I think is fine for now since I don't know the difference between lenses yet. Nonetheless I'm keeping in mind the tilt-shift lenses and the telephotos you mention as possible future gifts for myself if I manage to get acquainted with my camera well enough by then.

Any other tips for a first time DSLR owner/user?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,253,296 times
Congratulations. That was quick!

My first tip would be to use it! Your owner's manual will be a good first step in learning your new camera.

As I stated above, see if you can enroll in a photography course or two at your closest community college. You might also search for a local camera club. That'll put you in contact with others who enjoy the hobby and push you to learn and excel, plus you might find others to shoot with -- to join on little photo safaris.

As an alternative to a camera club, investigate the numerous photography websites (besides this one) where you can share your images, ideas and tips with other enthusiasts. Visit a few and pick one or two.

There are also an abundance of websites that simply give instruction for photography. Some are quite good. Let Google be your friend in exploring them.

In the days of film photography, serious photographers built a darkroom so they could control the printing process of their images. I had several thousand dollars invested in mine, not counting the floor space it took up. Ansel Adams was probably more known for his detail in getting the best print possible from the negative than he was for his captures. This is to say, if you want good images you need to invest in and learn to use good image editing software on your computer.

Adobe Photoshop is the premier software. It's very expensive and very complex, intended for professional use. I wouldn't recommend that you buy it unless you plan to spend considerable time learning it. If you make that commitment, (again) try to enroll in a community college that offers a course in image editing. Be sure they use Photoshop. Once enrolled you can buy a student version of the software for a reasonable price -- same software, just cheaper.

Otherwise select less complex and less expensive image software and learn it as well as you can. This is an extension of your camera and part of your photography skills.

Be sure that your computer monitor is fairly accurate. If most images you view look right, it's probably okay. If they look too dark or too light, adjust your monitor before you try adjusting your own images. There are tools you can get to aid in setting your monitor, but for now I'd just eyeball it. (I use a Spyder.)

Don't forget to have fun!

Last edited by WyoNewk; 02-22-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,816,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Much thanks WyoNewk!!! After reading your posts, I went online and checked out the reviews for the rebels and was quite impressed. I was having an internal debate on whether I wanted to get the Canon Rebel T1i or the newer (and more expensive) T2i. Once I reminded myself that I am a complete amateur and wouldn't have the appreciation for the differences between the two cameras, and don't really plan on taking videos as much - T1i was the clear choice. I got a great deal on Amazon, and went a little over budget (to $790), but this was including a guide book, a 16gb memory card, and a 3 year warranty.

It comes with the kit 18-55mm IS lens. Which I think is fine for now since I don't know the difference between lenses yet. Nonetheless I'm keeping in mind the tilt-shift lenses and the telephotos you mention as possible future gifts for myself if I manage to get acquainted with my camera well enough by then.

Any other tips for a first time DSLR owner/user?

You are going to love it! i have the T2i,and am still learning it,but im having fun doing so. Enjoy! you can find so much helpful info on this site Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,497,067 times
In addition to reading your camera manual, get these two books:
> Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
> The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman

Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 AM

728 posts, read 1,783,866 times
The 18-55 is a decent lens... you will be happy with that one for a while. As mentioned above the 50mm f/1.8 prime is a GREAT lens for the price. SHARP, light and inexpensive. It's f1.8 aperature will let you shoot some pretty dark situations without a flash and you will be amazed.

My best advice other than reading is to get involved in a local group. Meetup has many photography groups across the country. Watching, asking and comparing images with others in your group will help your learning curve...

Also, first thing when you get your camera. Learn RAW processing and the various modes and what they are good for! Force yourself to get off that "P" mode quick!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography